Please login to comment
I see this sentiment a lot. A few points:
- Playing a deck well is very much a key part of the game. Sure, many decks are largely mechanical in execution once you're a decent enough player (insert tired joke about Modern Tron) but many other decks are far less linear and will require substantial experience.
- Netdecking has been part of constructed since forever. This is what games are about - using the resources at your disposal. Are we to tell aspiring chess players "don't study openings, make up your own"? Are we to tell aspiring Starcraft players "don't study build timings, make up your own"?
- A deck isn't inherently more interesting just because it's "unique". I'd probably be bored out of my mind playing ally tribal. Sure, it's not something you usually see in Modern, but when you pick it up and play it, you realize you're basically playing humans, just with much worse cards. I fail to see how this is fun or skill-testing in any manner.
- Anything you come up with, someone has probably tried it and posted a list online somewhere. Wasting mental capacity on worrying about being "original" is pointless. The truth about constructed is that there are only so many good strategies, and they always hinge on good cards, good interactions between cards, or both.
- A good constructed player usually looks up lists for inspiration and for guidance, and will make the tweaks they see appropriate to their playstyle/meta/whatever. I do this all the time with my own Modern decks. Making the necessary tweaks to an existing list is itself an expression of deckbuilding skill, even if it's not the same as building a decklist from scratch.
- If you want an environment where good deckbuilding always matters and shows itself, play limited. That is fun and skill-testing in its own right.
July 8, 2021 1:19 p.m.
91 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
SCORE: 1 | 747 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
|Playing since||Return to Ravnica|
|Avg. deck rating||None|
|Suppressed formats||Standard, Pre-release, MTGO, Heirloom, Commander / EDH, Archenemy, Planechase, Vanguard, Noble, Hero, Block Constructed, Duel Commander, Tiny Leaders, Highlander, Magic Duels, Penny Dreadful, Leviathan, 1v1 Commander, Pauper EDH, Canadian Highlander, Brawl, Arena, Oathbreaker|
|Last activity||2 weeks|