Wheel of Torture
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, Wheel of Torture deals 1 damage to that player for each card fewer than three in his or her hand.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Wheel of Torture occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Wheel of Torture Discussion
1 week ago
If you want to play salty in black, it's hard to argue against Opposition Agent , it's a really, really bad time for many decks. I had to rebuild my cEDH deck to deal with that card, and it's still very much a work in progress. Toss in something like Maralen of the Mornsong and you have some very salty enemies.
Wheel of Torture is probably better than The Rack in a multiplayer game, but I'd expect it to get nuked quickly. Not sure if Necrogen Mists or Bottomless Pit would fit your plan, but they do play nicely if you can get one out. BP can be back breaking.
You have 2 copies of Mire in Misery btw?
2 months ago
6 months ago
I have Bottomless Pit, Noetic Scales, and Wheel of Torture all out at the same time. Each of them has a "during upkeep" trigger. Since I control the cards, do I get to decide what order they trigger for my opponent? So can I make sure that he discards a card first, then takes damage, and then returns creatures to his hand?
7 months ago
love the deck - I have a similar concept (less self discard, more bounce) Mind crusher, Dream Breaker
Painful Quandary - makes every spell hurt
Oppression - painful quandary's smaller, more angry brother
Paupers' Cage - aoe rack effect is good
Wheel of Torture - aoe rack effect, with the best flavortext pun ever
Bottomless Pit yet another aoe discard
Rackling - rack with legs
8 months ago
The only one I can get behind is Invoke Prejudice - the artist is a white supremacist and the depiction of KKK members was never OK.
The rest are weird:
- Pradesh Gypsies - how is it banned, but Jhoira of the Ghitu and all the other cards depictiping gypsies are fine?
- Cleanse is extremely far-fetched. How is Absolute Grace not implying black people lack grace and white people are shining with it? Does Righteous War fuel racial conflict because it gives protection from the opposite race?
- Stone-Throwing Devils - is it the reference to the bible or the reference to real world practises? Or is it neither of those at the same time?
- crusade and jihad - while having references to the real world, these are far from connected to what the real events do. There are 21 cards with "crusade" or "crusader" in their name, none of them banned. Heck Tivadar's Crusade literally has a goblin being tortured on a cross.
- Imprison - is this the way to honor the work of the late Christopher Rush, who made the Black Lotus and is singlehandedly responsible for much of Magic's popularity thanks to his super famous card? Even if it is OK to do, why is Oubliette not banned, despite being an extremely similar card in terms of theme. Or Wheel of Torture which directly conflates real-world game shows with torture for a laugh (it is a hilarious flavor text).
Most importantly, why now? Why after 3 weeks of protests and not 2 weeks? Why not in 2016 when similar protests were occurring? Or at any point prior to that? These have been part of the game for 20 years. How were these cards printed, when all of these were contentious topics even back then?
The bandwagon is strong with this announcement.
10 months ago
How have I never seen Noetic Scales before?! If you don't build that deck, I will.
Trinket Mage is a slow but sure way to get out more The Racks. Ancient Stirrings either gets land or The Racks. In addition to the Nezumi, Storm World or Wheel of Torture as your noble work in multiplayer.
10 months ago
Since you’re using a discard strategy have you considered cards that punish opponents for having a low hand count rather than Megrim effects? Cards such as this list:
- Hellfire Mongrel
- Lavaborn Muse
- Nezumi Shortfang Flip flipped
- The Rack
- Wheel of Torture
- Quest for the Nihil Stone
- Shrieking Affliction
- Storm World
- Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage
With these types of cards your opponents will be taking damage even if they haven’t discarded. The problem with megrim type cards is if opponents have nothing to discard the megrim type cards are just dead cards at that point. The cards I suggested on the other hand will be doing damage every turn. I’m not saying use all of them just saying some of them could replace megrim type cards. Myself though, I’ld make room for all of them because I go all in when it comes to certain themes.
11 months ago
e, thanks for the comment! I agree, Kess, Dissident Mage could be a good commander. She could easily be swapped in. I'm sure i'll switch it up occasionally but I like Nicol Bolas, the Ravager Flip for now at least.
Pain Magnification says 3 damage from any source. So anything that deals 3 damage to an opponent, including anything from another opponent. So Lavaborn Muse's ability would activate this. Any attack from one opponent to another that does 3 or more damage, etc. I haven't tested it enough to say that it is staying in the deck forever. If I end up not liking it I may swap it for Wheel of Torture or Shrieking Affliction. If I ever end up getting Bloodchief Ascension that would also be a good replacement for it as well.