Wall of Kelp
Creature — Plant Wall
Defender (This creature can't attack.)
(Blue)(Blue), Tap: Put a 0/1 blue Plant Wall creature token with defender named Kelp into play.
Printings View all
|Masters Edition II (ME2)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Wall of Kelp occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Wall of Kelp Discussion
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
1 month ago
Heliogabale: Thanks for the comment! Wall of Kelp was in the wheelhouse but I decided to initially exclude it because of price concerns. Now that the deck has shifted away from a tiny budget, I've considered adding it. The tokens definitely fit the theme, but I don't feel that the price is worth what I'm getting, especially since the deck is shifting to better and better cards. Haunted Angel is super cool! I'll definitely add it to the roster of cards I want to try, if only there were more space am I right? Looks at land count menacingly Jiang Yanggu is an amazing suggestion, when I first saw your comment I looked inside myself and cursed my soul for I had not thought of him. Another on the roster! Rapid Hybridization is a good idea, but I don't want my opponents to get the weird tokens, I want them all to myself. Finally, since the day it was released, I've had Nadir Kraken in my Card Kingdom cart, and I can't wait for its release!!!
Lanzo493: Both lands would be pretty solid, but I think Khalni Garden is too common because who hasn't faced Avenger of Zendikar before right? Mirrorpool is a super interesting card and I have wanted to find a home for it for a while, but I think it's more suited to a Brudiclad deck, which I'm really trying to stop this from becoming. However, your suggestions did bring to mind Kher Keep , which makes the weirdest little kobold tokens, so I'll definitely be adding that to the roster.
Suns_Champion: Thanks for the suggestion! He's been in my Card Kingdom shopping cart since he was spoiled, just waiting until the whole set is spoiled to order him!
1 month ago
Cool theme, giving yourself extra work to make an efficient deck. :)
You have obviously done your homework. I notice you don't have Wall of Kelp in there, is Plant Wall not exotic enough, or is the card just not good enough to include? Haunted Angel creates a 3/3 black Angel upon death, which is somewhat uncommon. Since you are running Kari Zev for Ragavan, maybe you would be interested in Jiang Yanggu and Mowu?
Can your opponents get weird tokens as well? Rapid Hybridization gives them a Frog Lizard.
The upcoming Nadir Kraken will have Tentacles.
Hope this inspires you!
2 months ago
I dunno, that Loyal Drake doesn't look much like a starfish or crab...
It may seem innocuous but Sand Squid has always overperformed in my seamonster decks. Coral Capers -- (Budget Seamonsters) was the original with Thassa (which you've seen) but I morphed the deck into Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle (Tidal Trouble).
I had AEtherplasm in my mono-blue deck and it was quite good. Looks a bit like a jellyfish so that's a plus.
I always ran into issues where I would finally have enough ramp or Quicksilver Amulet out to do stuff but because I was open all through the early game I wouldn't have the life to realize my kraken dreams. Fog Bank , Guard Gomazoa , Gomazoa , Spiny Starfish , Wall of Kelp , and Wall of Frost are all good and on-theme, as well as helpful for Thassa's devotion.
5 months ago
Field of Peonies
Creature - Plant
At the end of your turn, create a 1/1 green Insect creature token.
Color-shifted Wall of Kelp . Costs one more but creates them every turn instead of having to juggle it with counter magic.
Create a card about Kudzu.
8 months ago
Recommendations: Zetalpa, Primal Dawn - 4/8 double striker means 16 flying, indestructible damage a turn whenever Arcades is out.
Sylvan Library - Independent, cheap draw engine that gives you value even before you drop Arcades.
Rhystic Study - See Sylvan Library.
Birds of Paradise - It's just a good turn one play that gets you ahead in both ramp and fixing.
Orator of Ojutai - Draws you two cards on ETB whenever Arcades is out.
Portcullis Vine is slower than Wall of Mulch , but can provide extra draw from your Walls once they're on the battlefield if you can't find a way to blink or bounce them, consider this a weak recommendation.
Soulsworn Jury - Functions as a card draw early, can then be used to deter opponents from making splashy plays.
Wall of Kelp - Gives you a repeatable source of card draw when Arcades is out.
In general this doesn't seem like a combo list, so the low average CMC isn't as important as it would be with a deck that wants to set up and win the game in the same turn cycle. I'd recommend running more bombs to give you impactful plays in the late game, and maybe some cards like Containment Priest or Lavinia, Azorius Renegade to allow you to get to that late game.
11 months ago
Hello, your deck looks quite good but I'd make a little changes here and there:
- First of all, you probably don't need these 6 CMC cards as they come really late and don't impact the board that much. It would make room for Beast Whisperer and Orator of Ojutai that you have in maybeboard
- Also Tempt with Discovery ? 4 CMC is where your curve actually ends so you don't need that much ramp, especially when your 2 CMC ramp package is alright. If you can afford Breeding Pool and Canopy Vista you can easily set yourself up with Nature's Lore .
- For another 2 CMC ramp swap - Gatecreeper Vine is not that great, you're waaay better off with Sylvan Caryatid , you won't belive how many times it's hexproof screwed my opponents tring to remove it.
- Another little swap - Tower Defense is way cheaper than Solidarity . But if you want to swap it or use both its up to you. Maybe I'd cut Slagwurm Armor for another copy of this effect because artifact is easy to remove compared to instant speed combat trick.
- For further lowering curve I'd add some utility walls: Resolute Watchdog is amazing for protecting commander and Portcullis Vine alongside Wall of Mulch make great card draw engine (use them with Wall of Kelp tokens or defenders that are about to die and... thank me later xD)
- As you lower the curve maybe you won't need signets. Also I see you lack some interaction in form of counterspells but I guess your playgroup isn't that removal heavy.
That's it from me, hope this helps. Let me know what you think about these changes and take care