|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Tempest Remastered (TPR)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Thalakos Wizard
Shadow (This creature can block or be blocked by only creatures with shadow.)
When Thalakos Seer leaves the battlefield, draw a card.
Thalakos Seer Discussion
4 months ago
Several of your combo pieces do not synergie well with Adeliz, the Cinder Wind 's ability. E.g. Ghitu Journeymage is almost only useful during the combo. Outside of it they are not evasive enough to get past opponents' creatures to reliably make use of the commander's +1/+1s. Wizards such as Neurok Invisimancer or Thalakos Seer can make the +1/+1s count every turn, and are instagibs once you are comboing off.
Also, why no Stonybrook Banneret ? It fits both perfectly in a wizard tribe deck and synergies with the commander's abilities due to Islandwalk well.
Two other cards that fit well within this deck are Compulsive Research and Deep Analysis . Once you are comboing with two Archaeomancer / Izzet Chronarch / Salvager of Secrets / Scrivener you can mill your opponents with those two cards.
4 months ago
I suggest Thalakos Seer . It's like this card was created for ninjas.
4 months ago
I don't know if you're trying to do the exact same thing, but I play a fair few 1 drops to consistently Ninjutsu Yuriko in on turn 2. Stuff like Gudul Lurker , Faerie Seer , Mist-Cloaked Herald , Mothdust Changeling , Pteramander , Siren Stormtamer , and Triton Shorestalker in addition to the ones you already have. And while it's not a 1 drop, I also really like Thalakos Seer , lots of ninjutsu interactions.
4 months ago
First of all, this isn't a Dimir deck. Dimir represents more than a combination of colours.
Thirdly (on to the actual stuff you're interested in), if you're looking for inspiration you could take a look at my Ninja EDH (though I still need to update the list with Modern Horizons cards): A song without music....
Notable cards from it I find very useful include:
- Gonti, Lord of Luxury doesn't have an evasive ability, but his deathtouch might work just as well to get him through either way. In addition, you can also use it defensively, and he brings a very interesting ability when he comes into play, which is not limited by how many times you bring him back (you can cast the cards exiled with him for as long as they remain exiled, so you're free to bounce him in the meantime).
- Neurok Invisimancer gets one of your ninjas through for free and then acts as a carrier, after which you can use it again. Cheap, does what your deck needs.
- Higure, the Still Wind is about the only ninja lord out there. I don't think I need to explain how useful he can be to the deck.
- Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir gives your creatures flash, which alleviates the cost of returning the creatures on your board to your hand and allows you to maintain some form of defense. It also prevents opponents from messing with your ninjas during combat.
- I find Thalakos Seer about the best ninja carrier in the game. About as cheap as they come, practically unblockable and gives you a card when he jumps back into your hand. One of the most satisfying early drops.
- Illusionist's Gambit is in my opinion one of the strongest blue defensive cards (especially in multiplayer). Considering how hyper-aggressive Ninjas are by design, I usually find it very useful to keep 4 mana open for this to deflect a potential counterattack.
- Memory Plunder remains my favourite EDH card of all time. It gives you access to cards you'd never be able or want to run in your list, and may also serve very well to shrug off some of the counteraggression that's going to be coming your way.
Hope this helps!
5 months ago
Hey McToters, I apologize for the late response, my work schedule is lame.
Here's the thing about your new counter-suggestion. That's 3 whole slots for 2 cards that don't do hot by themselves, and the third that is only there for the other 2. Even further, you're requesting that I take out 2 of my 1 mana 1/1s that have flying. The key thing about them is I will usually draw one of my essentially unblockable creatures in my opening hand (Wingcrafter, Phantasm, Thalakos Seer , et cetera). Which then allows me to Yuriko on turn 2 or 3 which nets me that early advantage of cards and life total.
Hmm.. Every deck has it's "finisher" like in a deck that goes tall, it's usually Triumph of the Hordes or Craterhoof Behemoth . In a black deck, the mono black X spell that drains, Debt to the Deathless , Torment of Hailfire , et cetera. For Blue, they don't have that real finisher, so, their finisher is to take another turn to do their game plan and hope for the best. Meanwhile, hitting Temporal Trespass with Yuriko is eleven to the face.
I did order a Dauthi Embrace due to your comment, but, I don't know if I want it in place of Smoke Shroud, it's a cute card with multiple uses. Dauthi Embrace does have double black to give something unblockable. They're both good cards to me. I probably just need the right string of words spoke to me, you know?
I also added a buttload of cards to the maybeboard because I bought some because I was like "That could be good in the deck!" Now I don't have any more money, lol.
5 months ago
Frank_Glascock thanks! the decks still going through revisions especially with the new drops in modern horizons. Sakashima the Impostor and Spark Double I think would be really good adds to the deck and would replace the Shapesharer im currently running cause I don't have the other two.
Misdirection hasn't really ever been in the deck as my playgroup doesn't run many single target spells that make it worth running so I just ran force of will instead and will be adding Force of Negation when that drops.
As for card draw/card selection it really depends on how your build of yuriko is, if it's more of an aggressive build like I'm going for I prefer my card draw to come in the form of creatures like Baleful Strix , Thalakos Seer , Nightveil Sprite and Augury Owl . If you're running a bit of a more midrange build or prefer a more consistent source of draw then I think Rhystic Study would be the best addition.
6 months ago
Hey, really well made Commander deck, but it's only 94 cards :)
Thalakos Seer is quite good with Ninjutsu, getting value with Yuriko. Ninja of the Deep Hours , Higure, the Still Wind and Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni are good Ninjas, worth playing with Yuriko. Higure is great with Arcane Adaptation because then it can tutor for any creature in your library since all creatures are considered Ninjas.
All the low mana cost unblockable creatures and flying creatures are good to get a fast Yuriko onto the battlefield. Unblockable: Slither Blade , Triton Shorestalker , Mist-Cloaked Herald , Gudul Lurker , Dimir Infiltrator , Tormented Soul . Flying: Mausoleum Wanderer , Pteramander , Jace's Phantasm . Thada Adel, Acquisitor has a good ability for multiplayer Commander since most opponents decks have artifacts. Fabricate or Trinket Mage are worth playing just to tutor for Top. Good luck with your deck.
8 months ago
Hey, nice budget version of Yuriko. Delve spells are quite powerful with Yuriko's reveal ability because they have high CMCs, but their mana cost can be reduced by you by exiling cards from your graveyard including lands.
Budget cards ($5 or less each) to consider adding:
- Dig Through Time
- Treasure Cruise
- Temporal Trespass
- Command Tower : one of the best lands for multicolor Commander decks.
- Choked Estuary
- Sunken Hollow
- Underground River
- Darkwater Catacombs
- Thalakos Seer : draw engine with Yuriko.
- Smuggler's Copter : flying and good enabler for delve.
- Mausoleum Wanderer : flying and can protect you from a board wipe or other removal.
- Wingcrafter : two flying creatures.
- Brainstorm : draw three and arrange the top of your library.
- Telling Time
- Sol Ring
- Skullclamp : lots of 1 toughness creatures here makes this very nice backup draw.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Kindred Dominance
- Raise Dead
- Resourceful Return
- Cloak of Mists
- Armillary Sphere
- Darksteel Forge
- Minamo Sightbender
- Possessed Skaab
Good luck with your deck.
Thalakos Seer occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%