Enchantment — Aura
You control enchanted enchantment.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Steal Enchantment Discussion
1 month ago
Thanks for following up so fast. Nice to see your thought process.
- For me the copy package is a great asset in this list. Stealing is not strictly better imo, as copying has way more versatility than stealing does. I have won several times casting a kicked Rite of Replication on something like Kokusho. And even just copying Gary once or twice can just get you the victory. This is why I run more expensive ETB creatures like the primordial, Noxious gearhulk and Rune-Scarred Demon , since I will rarely get their effect only once. Either recurring them or coping them can generate a lot of value.
- Bolas's Citadel has been great in this deck so far, as I can steal a lot of life quite reliably with all the copy and recursion stuff going on + Gary and Kokusho. I disagree it is only good with low cmc cards. Plus it turns into a Yawgmoth's Bargain with Top. However, I agree it is probably more fitting in other decks. Still, if I'd cut it I would then replace it with another draw spell, and not something from your list of tips :|.
- Trinket mage is here mainly as a second Top for the synergy with Citadel, but can also fetch artifact lands or sol ring, so doubles as ramp or a land. I would cut this together with Citadel if I would ever cut that card.
- I see your point regarding Steal Artifact vs Acquire . Will give that some consideration.
- I put in Personal tutor because I needed my vamp tutor for another deck :). I agree it is relatively slow and could easily be cut.
- Of course there will be scenario's possible where Steal Enchantment is the winning play, but that's quite meta-dependant. And it is still more narrow than for example Mirrormade . Again, I prefer options over efficiency in this build.
- You make me at least wanna try out memory plunder, so I will put that on my maybe list :).
- I'm not sure I want to take the deck in the direction of bigger mana rocks and more expensive spells. It could synergize well with the copy-artifacts cards, so I will also take that tip into consideration. It might be a fun direction to at least try, so I might do that :).
Thanks again for your time! Exchanging thoughts on steal decks always shows me how much cool thing are possible with this archetype. All the possibilities to prevent it from becoming stale!
1 month ago
Hey MagicalHacker. Thanks for taking the time and sharing some tips! I actually had a look at your deck in action as one of the sources for inspiration. Great stuff!
Before going over your suggestions, do you have any tips on what to cut :)? Would be nice to also hear your view on what cards you think I shouldn't run.
This is how I currently evaluate the cards you mentioned:
- Animate Dead , Necromancy & Reanimate : I like these cards, but I found the other graveyard recursion cards to be more appealing. I prioritized runing cards that can get me multiple creatures from the grave over one-shot effects. I might get Reanimate back in the list someday just because of the nostalgia factor.
- Aura Thief , Steal Artifact & Steal Enchantment : I don't like that these cards are narrow in application. I prefer to have card with a lot of options over more efficient ones in a control deck like this. Aura thief is really strong, but I am not running ways to get it to the grave reliably (like a sac outlet). That is why I ended u cutting it.
- Control Magic & Dream Leash : Great options if I get some more room for more steal effects. Dream leash is really strong. However, I prefer the other 5-drops I'm running atm, and I want to keep my curve nice and smooth.
- Geth, Lord of the Vault : love this card. However, I ended up cutting it for curve considerations.
- Grave Betrayal & Mind's Dilation : Both cards I like and have been in decks before. However, they are both do-nothing-enchantments for 7 mana. I like the 7-drops I ended up including better (and again, I want to keep a smooth curve).
- Memory Plunder : I don't like this card. It's mana cost is quite prohibitive with all the colored mana and only gets back 1 card. I like Spelltwine better. I might undervalue the fact that it's an instant, but with my playstyle I'm not expecting to hold up 4 mana with this deck.
- Mimic Vat : Fun card, but more at home in an arsticrats-style deck imo. It doesn't have additional synergy with what the deck is doing as I run very few ways to kill creatures.
- Agent of Treachery & Gilded Drake : I already run this duo in my Roon deck, where they are way more busted than in Silumgar. And I prefer to keep my decks distinct if possible.
- Mass Manipulation : Cool card and one I'd like to try out sometime :). Will see if I can acquire one.
- Commandeer : A card I would love to run, but quite pricey, and I haven't gotten around to acquire it yet.
- Pendant of Prosperity : A lovely trinket to steel back. I will give this card some thought :).
Again, thanks for checking out the deck!
GL & HF,
1 month ago
Comparing my Silumgar deck to yours, they are about half or more different (including lands), but I wanted to point out eighteen cards I think you should consider adding, nine of which are already on your maybeboard:
Animate Dead , Aura Thief , Control Magic , Geth, Lord of the Vault , Grave Betrayal , Memory Plunder , Mimic Vat , Mind's Dilation , and Steal Artifact should move into the mainboard from the maybeboard.
Agent of Treachery , Commandeer , Dream Leash , Gilded Drake , Mass Manipulation , Necromancy , Pendant of Prosperity , Reanimate , and Steal Enchantment should skip the maybeboard and go straight to the mainboard.
These are simply my suggestions! If you are unsure of if these cards are as good as I say they are, check out my deck at The Bloodhall Season 1 - Dragonlord Silumgar and you can see how the deck plays in videos in its description.
2 months ago
Ouch, that's what I get for answering late in the night, THCue. The Wheel is a replacement effect, so one of my alternative win con suggestions is indeed incorrect. Anyways, as for other possible solutions to get rid of enchantments that don't involve counterspells or selective removal from the library/hand/graveyard, I definitely wouldn't recommend Steal Enchantment : albeit the low CMC, this card is too limited in its usage. Moreover, stealing the Wheel of Sun and Moon from one of your opponent's control, won't change the enchanted player, so actually, it's effect will still apply.
As squadcarxmar pointed out, Dimir doesn't have a lot of specific interaction for enchantments. Since bouncing to hand doesn't seem a very viable option in this case, as two mana enchantment can be easily re-cast on the next turn, I'd probably try to interact with the addition of more counterspells, and only as a second choice with specific exile effects, as a counterspell will more useful in most of the situations with respect to a Cranial Extraction .
2 months ago
I'm trying to think of some things that might work. like Steal Enchantment maybe but then again we will have cards like Leyline of the Void So we really are going to need 1 or even 2 cards that will stop this also I forgot the name but there are also creatures that do the same effect but they are creatures mainly worried about the enchantments here.
4 months ago
Adds: Kokusho, the Evening Star , Ravenous Chupacabra , Go for the Throat , Hero's Downfall , Murder , Snuff Out , Solemn Simulacrum , Sidisi, Undead Vizier , Crux of Fate , Baleful Strix , Rapid Hybridization , Disallow , Negate , Beacon of Unrest , Rise of the Dark Realms (if you still have one), Ashnod's Altar , Hedron Archive , Gray Merchant of Asphodel , Buried Alive , Read the Bones , Deep Analysis , Night's Whisper , Swan Song , Meteor Golem , Living Death , Wayfarer's Bauble , Razaketh, the Foulblooded , Illusionist's Bracers , Training Grounds
Cuts: Body Double , Clone , Consuming Aberration , Necropolis Regent , Phenax, God of Deception , Sire of Stagnation , Stitcher Geralf , Syr Konrad, the Grim , Wrexial, the Risen Deep , Dire Undercurrents , Propaganda , Steal Enchantment , Blustersquall , Countersquall , Grisly Spectacle , Psychic Strike , Pull from Tomorrow , Sinister Sabotage , Thought Collapse , Undermine , In Garruk's Wake , Kindred Dominance , Psychic Drain , Time Warp