Converge — Creatures your opponents control get -X/-0 until end of turn, where X is the number of colors of mana spent to cast Roilmage's Trick.
Draw a card.
Printings View all
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Roilmage's Trick Discussion
2 years ago
Roilmage's Trick - Not a very efficient spell, even with the draw. Giving creatures -2/0 for a turn at 4 mana can be better.
Pendulum of Patterns - The 3 life isn't amazing, but if you're playing blue the 5 mana to draw one card is just bad. Implement of Examination at 4 mana to draw 2 cards is also not good. You still have cards like Windfall and Reforge the Soul you can add. Even a simple Divination is 2 cards for only 3 mana.
3 years ago
Eldrazi have a few different ways to go. I have a couple of very makeshift Eldrazi, but here's what I did.
Pick a common ability. My personal favorite was the deal damage / mill opponent (cards like Salvage Drone). There's also the buffing colorless spells (as you saw), and since Eldrazi are devoid, they are colorless. Win win.
Make a win condition. Not five, not three. One. Build off of that. Think of it like an all paths lead to Rome thing. So, say you like Endless One the most. What you want is "How can I get this on the field and kicking butt the fastest?" This will actually resolve the common ability - in this case, you WANT the minions that tap / sack for mana.
75 cards is a lot. Not saying you can't make it work, but I recommend removing some things:Akoum Stonewaker, Bellows Lizard, Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh Flip, Dragonmaster Outcast, Sphinx of the Final Word, Valakut Predator, Roilmage's Trick, Smash to Smithereens, Prism Array, Sanctum of Ugin
I picked these for several reasons - the primary being that you do NOT want to focus on a single color, and you probably shouldn't lean to a rainbow scheme. This makes Prism Array, Roilmage's Trick rather difficult, or expensive to use. Remember, colorless (wastes) do NOT count as a color - meaning you have two colors in this deck.
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh Flip is more of a burn deck card, which Eldrazi don't really center around. Eldrazi focus on either cheap pokers, or big and expensive busters. Chandra doesn't really fit in with the deck's theme. This is also true for Akoum Stonewaker, Bellows Lizard, Dragonmaster Outcast, Sphinx of the Final Word, Valakut Predator, Smash to Smithereens.
Recommended Additions:1. I would also pick a few Eldrazi, and use several copies of them, versus one of a lot of different kinds. My personal favorites are Tide Drifter, Prophet of Distortion, Salvage Drone
- Land is something I think you should rebalance. This is coming from someone who has the worst (i'm not kidding) land karma. Ever. I recommend using more Wastes, and dropping how much land you have a little. With Tri color decks, evolving wilds are great, so I recomment Evolving Wilds x4, instead of 2. I recommend an equal balance between your Islands and Mountains as well, say 7 each? So 7 of each of your main lands, four Evolving Wilds, and a couple each of the special lands. If you get a full 4 of the Wandering Fumarole I would take out a couple islands and Mountains. I personally prefer things like Izzet Boilerworks (which can backfire, but are exceptionally useful. I know this is not standard legal, however), Scalding Tarn, Sulfur Falls (another one I know isn't standard). Land will be the single most expensive and important addition to most decks, since lands are really splashable. Standard Eldrazi are not as expensive as their modern counterparts (like Emrakul, the Aeons Torn)
To sum up (lots of text, i'm sorry!)
1. Pick a theme, build off of the theme. Multiples will help you run smoother.
2. See if you can get as close to 60 cards as possible.
3. Try and rework your lands so you have a little more balanced draw power.
3 years ago
Very interesting base idea but with some flaws
I will not list what to put out since I would put out a lot here (would be too long). And for another reason I wont do it. You should build the deck yourself and let it evolve and not build it how I would do it.
Just some outlines of what I think and some card ideas.
The flyer+snake idea is good. If your commander gets too much hate you can still build up pressure with flyers.
To your snake part I would suggest adding:
- Ophidian - Another card drawer to use with your commander but with the drawback of not being able to deal damage if you draw
- Seshiro the Anointed - lets you draw a card with every snake dealing damage (if the snake already does you draw 2) AND it pumps all your snakes
- Amoeboid Changeling - you dont have snakes? Make something a snake. Oh and this is also a snake.
- Shapesharer - this card can be fun - it is everything you need. Doesn't need to be a snake. A Darksteel Colossus from your opponents side is cool too. If you first use your commander you keep the unblockable AND the bonus on the copied creature.
To your flyer side I would suggest adding some power:
- Fleetfeather Cockatrice. Fun creature. But it would need testing if its really strong enough.
- Horizon Chimera - interaction with card draw + flash + flying + trample -> nice
- Simic Sky Swallower - this guy is just insane. Its big, it has flying and your opponent has a hard time getting rid of it.
- Trygon Predator - kill the nice things your opponents have just because they shouldn't
- Winged Coatl - self explaining and fun
Another thing is: You play blue. You need counterspells. More of them.
- Counterspell - classic
- Dismiss - counter sth and get a card
- Pact of Negation - counter for 0 if needed.
- Plasm Capture - more mana in the next turn
- Voidslime - the ultimate green-blue counterspell
Lastly I would suggest cutting cards with really weak effects like:
- Rush of Ice - if you need to get rid of sth kill it, bounce it, counter it but dont let it live. A possibility is Pongify
- Crippling Chill - same as above
- Jace's Scrutiny - same as above
- Ojutai's Breath - same as above
- Roilmage's Trick - same as above (in 5 colors it could be good)
- Lead by Example - you can do better in green. Since you dont play with counters there are better options
- Anticipate - you can do better if it comes to card draw
- Negate - I gave you better options. This is too focused
- Archers of Qarsi - unless you focus on walls and defenders this one is useless. Concentrate on winning and not on prolonging the game (unless you win with it of course)
So. Let's see what you do with those suggestions. Further ones may come.
ajstorey456 on None
4 years ago
4 years ago
Roilmage's Trick doesn't target anything because of the way it is worded, neither does Hydrolash for that matter, so they don't work with a Willbreaker strategy and they are a bit costly for single-card draw spells. That's why I believe it/they can be replaced with more actively targeting cards like Send to Sleep or Refocus, either stealing you two of their creatures or untapping and stealing one of their creatures when they become targets. Also have you checked out Alhammarret's Archive? It can really hurt someone in the endgame suffering under a Tutelage mill.
ajstorey456 on None
4 years ago
I understand the suggestion, but Roilmage's Trick is supposed to trigger on Willbreaker to take their entire field. I don't have any more blue cards that would target every enemy creature than that. I would like to get more Sphinx's Tutelage into the deck, but again, availability is an issue. I won't be able to get this updated by this Friday, due to shipping and all, but I probably could get more cards, seeing as Willbreaker is fairly cheap.
4 years ago
I get that you don't have many cards to work with (I'm in a similar situation) but you can better your chances of a good performance by dropping some of your non-conforming cards like Roilmage's Trick for more copies of Willbreaker or Sphinx's Tutelage to streamline your deck's purpose, controlling and milling. You will probably also need to up your land count in a control deck with big endgames like Willbreaker.
Furthermore, Refocus can do with a few more copies especially if you like sneaky-sneaky stuff with prowess blocks out of nowhere while the Tutelage puts the pressure on