Creature — Vampire
Whenever a Vampire you control deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Rakish Heir Discussion
2 months ago
Do you ultimate Sorin, Vampire Lord often enough to be worth the slot? If not, Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord might cool for getting out any of the Mana Value >3 vampires. He also includes some fun lifegain, too.
2 months ago
Thank you, Vessiliana! For your second comment, I hadn't seen Malakir Bloodwitch, but it seems like a great inclusion! As far as Licia, Sanguine Tribune goes, I've found her to be a very good commander. Using cards like Chaplain's Blessing allows you to get her out as early as turn three, as you reduce her cost to just . In addition, some of the red cards are very fun to use, with cards like Stromkirk Captain, Rakish Heir, and Stensia Masquerade boosting all your other vamps.
7 months ago
Hey, nice budget version of Edgar.
You have the right idea with wanting to cast Vamps quick to take advantage of eminence, but the manabase also needs to match this strategy. There's too many lands that will always ETB tapped which reduces the consistency of casting Vamps quick. More dual lands that can ETB untapped would speed up game play.
Some budget land upgrades to consider:
- Caves of Koilos --> Forsaken Sanctuary
- Unclaimed Territory --> Gateway Plaza
- Exotic Orchard --> Idyllic Grange
- Battlefield Forge --> Stone Quarry
- Tainted Field --> Boros Guildgate
- Smoldering Marsh --> Cinder Barrens
- Ash Barrens --> Evolving Wilds
- Temple of Silence --> Akoum Refuge
- Temple of Triumph --> Bloodfell Caves
Some other budget cards to consider adding:
- Knight of the Ebon Legion
- Forerunner of the Legion : Vamp tutor and it can repeatable pump
- Pact of the Serpent : from Kaldheim Commander and it's a powerful draw spell with Vamp tokens.
- Shadow Alley Denizen : repeatable evasion
- Rakish Heir : grows each Vamp who does combat damage to a player including itself.
- Necropolis Regent
- Etchings of the Chosen : anthem and can be repeatable protection for Vamps from board wipes by sacing tokens to protect nontoken Vamps.
- Scapegoat can save all nontoken Vamps from a board wipe by sacing one token and you get to cast the Vamps again to recover as well as trigger more eminence.
- Bloodline Pretender : it can get huge because it triggers whenever a Vamp token is created.
- Raise the Draugr : can recur two Vamps for two mana at instant speed.
Higher CMC Vamps as less needed because you have Edgar who's the six drop you want to cast more than the others, but Necropolis Regent is a budget second. Like Edgar, Regent is also good with a Vamp swam as well as with Edgar and other flying Vamps.
Some cards to consider cutting:
- Price of Knowledge
- Sengir, the Dark Baron
- Crimson Honor Guard
- Arvad the Cursed
- Bishop of Binding
- Bloodbond Vampire
- Malakir Cullblade
- Bone Splinters
- Ambition's Cost
Good luck with your deck.
11 months ago
Hey, good work for your first Commander deck on a budget. You have several nice cards, but also many stinkers :)
There's 2x Inscription of Ruin which you can't have in Commander. Jungle Shrine has green in it's card color identity thus you can't play it because Edgar isn't green. With Edgar you want to lower the mana curve with more one/two/three drop Vamps. Edgar and Coat of Arms are the high CMC cards you want to cast, but before you cast them you want a more established army of Vamps which means the majority of the Vamps you play should be one, two or three drops. Low CMC Vamps are easier to cast thus you get faster token value from Edgar's eminence.
These one drop Vamps are fine plays in the early game while also being useful in the later parts of a game too.
- Forerunner of the Legion: Vamp tutor.
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir: flying, powerful repeatable effect to put counters on all your attacking Vamps.
- Rakish Heir: another repeatable effect to put counters on your Vamps.
- Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose: Sanguine Bond effect on a Vamp.
- Olivia's Bloodsworn: flying and haste enabler for Vamps.
- Vampire Nighthawk: flying/deathtouch is a good combination.
- Cruel Celebrant: Zulaport Cutthroat effect on a Vamp.
Drana is the most expensive price Vamp I'm suggesting, it's worth $5. Most of these Vamps have repeatable effects or flying which is helpful evasion for attacking in Commander. More low CMC Vamps makes Skullclamp better and it's one of your best sources of repeatable value to get ahead or recover to draw more Vamps; Open the Armory can tutor for it.
Consider more budget dual lands that ETB untapped?
- Unclaimed Territory
- Exotic Orchard
- Caves of Koilos
- Battlefield Forge
- Path of Ancestry: repeatable scry.
- Nomad Outpost
- Tainted Field: Swamps should be the most lands in the manabase.
Ancestry and Outpost always ETB tapped, but that's fine since next turn they can make any color of mana you need to cast cards. On a budget this color fixing is helpful.
I offer more advice including what cards to cut. Would you like more advice? Good luck with your deck.
1 year ago
LordBlackblade, that is very good advice, although I do have another question; why is nudity in artwork from centuries ago acceptable and seen as classic art to be viewed by all, whereas nudity and sexuality from the current century is acceptable only to certain audiences?
1 year ago
If you're running red in modern, you should have a playset of Lightning Bolt. They're great removal, as is Terminate. Additionally, I think that Rakish Heir or Assault Strobe would be a great combo with the amount of attacking you're doing. Lastly, while I love Olivia Voldaren as much as the next guy, she requires an immense amount of mana to get going, and I feel like if you take her out, you can also get rid of Lash of Thorns, which both streamlines the deck and allows you to add in other cards and some removal in the mainboard. Hope this helps!