Orb of Dreams
Permanents come into play tapped.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Orb of Dreams Discussion
on Power nap
4 months ago
I most certainly can! Archelos is super cool and can really warp a landbase, as now you can include so many tap lands that normally aren't too powerful, not only giving you that sort of ability but also making the land base WAY cheaper! You also have to think about the lands BEFORE you put our Archelos though, and so I'd say a balance between better lands and tap lands are what you probably want to head towards. What you have so far looks wonderful, and certainly efficient, though again, you may want to include one cycle of a certain land, maybe Breeding Pool, Overgrown Tomb, and Watery Grave? These guys can help get Archelos out, but after he's out you won't necessarily have to take the shock damage from them which I'd say deserves them a good spot in the deck. Other ones that aren't necessary but could be worth considering are Hinterland Harbor, Woodland Cemetery, and Drowned Catacomb, since again they can come in untapped with Archelos and still be relatively good without him, and of course the bounce lands Simic Growth Chamber, Golgari Rot Farm, and Dimir Aqueduct, since they can get pretty powerful when they come in untapped. Since you have Fabled Passage, Evolving Wilds, and Terramorphic Expanse I'd say it's worth it to slot in a Ramunap Excavator or Crucible of Worlds, since you'd then get two landfall triggers per turn guaranteed, since you can continuously play the sac lands again and again. If this trick proves to be very helpful, you may want to consider slotting in more fetch lands like Prismatic Vista, Misty Rainforest, Verdant Catacombs, Polluted Delta, etc. Speaking of landfall triggers, I think Myriad Landscape would work AMAZING with Archelos, as not only would the Myriad come in untapped, but so would what it searches for, giving you three landfall triggers just off of that one card if you have two mana to spare. So honestly, I don't have too much to say about the lands, I think it's pretty solid at the moment though you may need to playtest a lot to know for sure, however, I did find a bunch of great cards that could work well with Archelos!
- Amulet of Vigor: If Archelos isn't out yet and you have a ton of tap lands, this guy could be of great use, especially for just a single mana.
- Root Maze: SUPER amazing card, this guy can tax everyone but you! On your upkeep untap archelos, have everything come in untapped, then tap him before your next turn and boom now everyone's artiafcts and lands come into played tapped for one mana besides yours.
- Coldsteel Heart: Basically a 2 mana, untapped mana rock with Archelos
- Cryptolith Fragment Flip: This guy can perform your goal of whittling away peoples health, as well as coming in untapped with Archelos. The flip side can also perform that whittling quite efficiently.
- Manascape Refractor: Comes in untapped- could be pretty fun to see how that works out!
- Arcane Signet: You should run this no matter what
- Orb of Dreams: Similar power and ability to root maze mentioned above, this can tax everyone else except you with Archelos
- Renegade Map: Basically 1 mana get a basic land if you have Archelos out
- Sphere of the Suns: Great with Archelos out and coming in untapped
- Terrarion: Seems pretty solid if it doesn't come in untapped
- Worn Powerstone: Like the rest, pretty sweet if it doesn't come in tapped and can be immediately used.
- Moss Diamond/Charcoal Diamond/Sky Diamond: Untapped ability again
- Honor-Worn Shaku: Allows you to tap archelos and get something out of it
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth: It's amazing why not run it
- Retreat to Hagra: Can be a great way of slowly ruining your opponent's health, especially with the extra land triggers I mentioned before
- Stasis: If you already have the things you need to slowly remove your opponents health, this can pretty much ensure victory.
- Verity Circle: SUPER amazing if I'm understanding it correctly, basically whenever your opponents play a creature since it comes in tapped with Archelos you draw a card, and has the second ability if you are ever in need of it
- A great way to slowly get rid of your opponents health is with recurring triggers that happen every turn, such as curses. Here are some that I found: Trespasser's Curse, Torment of Scarabs, Cruel Reality, Curse of Thirst, and Curse of Fool's Wisdom
- ANY COMBO WITH RETREAT TO CORALHELM. Edhrec names 1000+ combos with this card, so I'd recommend looking through it and seeing if you find anything that would work if you haven't already!
That's all I have, sorry it probably wasn't too much regarding the lands, but I hope I gave you some good stuff to think about! I honestly love the deck it has a super cool theme, and seems like it could work very well! That said though, hope this helps, and have a wonderful day!
6 months ago
I also play a couple spicy stax pieces such as Root Maze, Orb of Dreams, Mana Breach, Overburden, and Confounding Conundrum. Some of these may seem self-detrimental, but with cards like Arboreal Grazer, Lotus Cobra, Amulet of Vigor, Llanowar Scout, and Sakura-Tribe Scout, I can break the parity of stax effects while my opponents suffer as all of their lands get bounced. Also, Amulet of Vigor triggers twice with yarok, so in combination with Root Maze or Orb of Dreams we actually get to untap our lands twice separately, leading to double mana. Arboreal Grazer and the scouts both help us combat our own land bounce effects, and are especially fun with Overburden. Burgeoning is another way we can use land bounce to our advantage, as our opponents will be unable to replay their lands without letting us do so as well. This stax route is kind of a fringe strategy, but I think it is very powerful in Yarok and makes the game much more interesting than just winning with craterhoof behemoth.
9 months ago
9 months ago
Adjustment made. Sphere could have moments and I haven’t messed with main deck CoVs but it was the weaker of the bunch. Not to mention it didn’t sit well with the lands the deck runs. And Grid was honestly not doing much. It was Force bait but that could be other redundant hate. I’m still keeping Orb of Dreams in the back of my mind.
11 months ago
hey dude, in this build i decided to not run any "bad" cards that synergize with zedruu. i realized this commander could be a lot more powerful and consistent without the fun janky stuff that usually makes people's list; instead i chose to abuse the debuff auras and stuff like Orb of Dreams that have a huge impact no matter whos controlling it. realistically you have AT MOST 3 things under others' control, IF zedruu makes it to our upkeep, so packing less curses and more general purpose value cards resulted in better plays for me. Nine Lives plus Cyclonic Rift is so bomb tho
1 year ago
triproberts12 thanks for those suggestions!
I had no idea about Mana Skimmer and will definitely put that nightmare in! I have a few of the ones you named but Time of Ice is a solid recommendation. It'd work well in case I don't get much out - really great pairing with Orb of Dreams by bouncing them back at the end too. Dream Tides is tempting but it would slow down my deck more than it already is. I forgot about Thalakos Dreamsower, might consider putting it in for the mid-mana cost. Queen of Ice is also a solid pick. I'll look into all of these, thank you!
Side note, when I first started learning magic, I had half an idea of making a white/green bird deck. Your favorite card just might inspire a black/green/white dredge deck with birds.