Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver
Planeswalker — Bolas
+3: Each opponent loses 3 life unless that player sacrifices a nonland permanent or discards a card.
-3: Destroy a creature. Draw a card.
-11: Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver deals 7 damage to each opponent. You draw seven cards.
1 year ago
wallisface First of all txs for taking your time to look at all of them. 2nd I'm not missing Grixis so much as I skipped it since grixis has Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver and Nicol Bolas, the Arisen Flip as solid generic grixis planeswalkers so I didn't feel the need to make another one
As for you other comments lets take one step at a time First Ceara how is not doing temur things?
I disagree with on her first ability it fine there are plenty of walkers who's + ability makes tokens so there should be no problem there as it helps protect her and give a body. As for her second I have to agree that it should be reworked. And I'll fix her last abilities wording problem
On to Chichan I may cut it down to Scry 3 but so what if it's not very red he has two other colors in his identity and every ability needs to mach each color look at Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver first ability it doesn't match blue, or look at Angrath, the Flame-Chained's last ability it fully a black ability or Dakkon, Shadow Slayer's full kit his +1 isn't white, his second ability isn't either blue nor black and his last ability is almost entirely blue. Long story short not every ability need to match every color of the walkers colors. So other than being too much it fine
As for Chichan's second ability how is it unnecessarily wordy? I tells you cast spells for free by discarding three card from your hand (maybe will cut that to two)and to make more balanced you can play two more spells the turn you use this effect so it doesn't turn into a more clunky Omniscience. The same as the argument before even if it anti white so what? And this effect isn't as anti-white as you think, while not common there are cards like Idol of Endurance,Patrician's Scorn, Flawless Maneuver, Sivvi's Ruse, Sram's Expertise and to a lesser extent Sunforger and each has a different way to make spells free, add red and blue that do have discard for effect an its fine the only reason i see no black to this effect (though all colors have some free spells)so again it fine may reword it a bit but I don't think I need to change the effect
For his third effect I agree it's underwhelming/powered and will give it a buff
For Gwisin Noh- I admit I'm not overly to happy with her but abzan has so many options it was one of the hardest things for me to make generic any ideas for new kit is welcome for now I take you ideas and rework them but don't expect to much form this one
Next is Kuva- since it fine not much to say I don't get the read from a precon deck I fail to see if that a bad thing or not?
Nimthall time ok so he may be a little overpriced i was worried that his abilities were too powerful as a kit so made him cost more to balance him out
i feel his 1st is fine i mean there are zombie token out there other than just vanilla 2/2 again not common (and not counting embalm or eternalize or decayed) but there are a few like Corpse Cobble, Soul Separator or hun that it just those two that make unqie zombie tokens really? well hun i guess I'll just make them 2/2s but feel like 1 token is an under powered effect
i saw you had no problem with his second ability so I'll just move on to the third
His third ability yeah let just is rough and need rewording now that im reading also, as for the enchantment grabbing thing it was to help justify the mana cost
Shataj Sar Spotlight time
I think your right on making only one token here and taking out horsemenship and adding vigliance or maybe first stike instead will keep the haste.
as for her last ability i like the exile part but the life gain can go
For Sibrel- Other than the either you don't seem to mind the kit overall and i don't know why the "either" is that TBH will take that out
For Vull- What are your Jund motifs i wonder
Anyway will reword his first ability but he's a battle hungry blood thirsty barbarian do you really think he not going to attack? I'll be keep his effect the same
For his second effect to tell you the truth I couldn't decide which one to choose so did both still can't decide which one would fit better since they're both jund abilities
I see you no problems with his last effect
Finally Zendik's time to shine
I don't what to say really he's not favorite thats for sure
His first ability is heavily based off Soulfire Grand Master ability only for artifacts hell was think of making this an enchantment like effect like the WoS walkers had but it also work well his second and third abilities as a whole
his second is maybe too powerful will rework it
His third ability is worded poorly but I truly don't know how to this one, and for control decks this would be a great win con to flood your opponents after you gather enough artifacts (maybe I should add enchants on to this effect as well)
Also remember to look at the kit as whole and just individual abilities, since an ability may look weak by itself but it may work very well with the other abilities together Zendik is great example of this
1 year ago
Introducing Cumly Cube 1.1! 6 months ago, Cumly Cube was launched to resounding approval. However, in response to feedback from fans, several cards in the pool were deemed unplayable, uninteresting, or overpowered. For Cumly Cube's six month anniversary, I have chosen to update the card pool. Here are the changes, provided with brief justifications:
- Abomination: too weak in power level
- Anger of the Gods: while board wipes are an essential part of the game, this card is too simple in effect in comparison to other red board wipes in the card pool
- Birthing Pod: synergizes poorly with the rest of the card pool
- Black Dragon: too weak in power level
- Black Lotus: this card and other "power 9" cards have been removed from the pool to allow players to play with less well known cards
- Bloodcurdling Scream: too weak in power level
- Cavalier of Night: too on-theme for a black card
- Cinderclasm: while board wipes are an essential part of the game, this card is too simple in effect in comparison to other red board wipes in the card pool
- Dack Fayden: too powerful
- District Guide: synergizes poorly with the rest of the card pool
- Dockside Extortionist: too strong in multiplayer games considering the dominance of the "treasure matters" archetype in this card pool
- Dread Reaper: too weak in power level
- Edric, Spymaster of Trest: too powerful
- Eviscerator: too weak in power level
- Grim Strider: too weak in power level
- Hypnox: too weak in power level
- Jungle Creeper: too weak in power level
- Mind Bomb: too weak in power level
- Mox Emerald: this card and other "power 9" cards have been removed from the pool to allow players to play with less well known cards
- Mox Jet: this card and other "power 9" cards have been removed from the pool to allow players to play with less well known cards
- Mox Pearl: this card and other "power 9" cards have been removed from the pool to allow players to play with less well known cards
- Mox Ruby: this card and other "power 9" cards have been removed from the pool to allow players to play with less well known cards
- Mox Sapphire: this card and other "power 9" cards have been removed from the pool to allow players to play with less well known cards
- Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver: too weak in power level
- Nix: too weak in power level
- Obelisk of Alara: too weak in power level
- Patagia Golem: too weak in power level
- Phantasmagorian: too weak in power level
- Prismite: too weak in power level
- Rootcoil Creeper: synergizes poorly with the rest of the card pool
- Shattering Blow: too strong of an answer to the artifact archetype
- Shatterskull Smashing Flip: MDFCs are interesting cards, but it does not make sense to have only one in the card pool
- Smelt: too strong of an answer to the artifact archetype
- Smog Elemental: too weak in power level
- Spirit of the Night: too weak in power level
- Storm Spirit: too weak in power level
- Tibalt's Trickery: introduces too much variance for an enjoyable experience
- Unholy Strength: too weak in power level
- Vampiric Link: too on-theme for a black card
- Wooded Bastion: this was included on error instead of its Golgari counterpart
- Alpha Authority: an interesting enchantment that should help protect large creatures
- Archfiend of Spite: a strong value play or reanimation target for black, which was deemed the lowest in power level upon initial testing
- Blade Splicer: works well with the artifact and golem archetypes, plus is a human for tribal matters cards
- Chillbringer: works well with the blue aggro archetype, plus is an elemental for tribal matters cards
- Comet Storm: an interesting damage spell that will be replacing more typical red board wipes
- Crippling Chill: works well with the disruptive blue plan
- Darksteel Forge: a strong payoff for the artifact archetype
- Diabolic Tutor: a solid addition to black
- Distant Melody: a strong value play for tribal decks
- Door of Destinies: another tribal matters card
- Dread Presence: a solid addition to black
- Flashfreeze: a conditional counter spell
- Funeral Rites: a solid addition to black
- Golem Foundry: works well with the artifact and golem archetypes
- Gyruda, Doom of Depths: companions are now part of the card pool! This one fits well with the reanimation archetype
- Icehide Golem: works well with the artifact and golem archetypes
- Illuminated Folio: an artifact draw engine, common in this card pool
- In Bolas's Clutches: a strong and fun card
- Infernal Contract: a solid addition to black
- Jegantha, the Wellspring: this companion is an elemental for tribal matters cards
- Keruga, the Macrosage: this companion is an incentive to play with some of the clunkier but more fun cards in the cube
- Kokusho, the Evening Star: a solid addition to black and a dragon for tribal matters cards
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary: a strong draw engine for green creature decks, an archetype not well supported in this card pool
- Loyal Retainers: works well with the reanimate archetype, plus is a human for tribal matters cards
- Mindleech Mass: a strong reanimation target and payoff for black decks, plus is a horror for tribal matters cards
- Moldervine Reclamation: a strong draw engine and another enabler for lifegain decks
- Monastery Mentor: a strong payoff for prowess decks, an archetype not well supported in this card pool
- Morophon, the Boundless: another tribal matters card
- Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh: a strong card used to bolster Grixis in the card pool
- Pact of the Serpent: a strong value play for tribal decks
- Retrofitter Foundry: works well with the artifact archetype
- Skeletal Wurm: a strong reanimation target and payoff for black decks
- Sludge Monster: a good creature that works very well with Toxrill, the Corrosive, plus is a horror for tribal matters cards
- Sorin's Vengeance: a payoff for black that may add diversity to deck archtypes
- Soul Foundry: yet another artifact engine that is a major part of this card pool
- Storm the Vault Flip: this card was meant to be included in the pool originally for the "treasure matters archetype"
- Teferi, Timebender: another Teferi planeswalker, included mainly to justify the continued inclusion of Teferi's Sentinel
- Time Elemental: a soft lock with Stasis and also a good interactive card for blue decks
- Torgaar, Famine Incarnate: a strong reanimation target and payoff for black decks
- Twilight Mire: this card was meant to be included in the pool originally and is good fixing for Golgari, a color combination encouraged in this pool
- Worldfire: a very wacky card that is the epitome of Cumly Cube
3 years ago
Hi! Cool deck I really love superfriends decks (I have one of my own with Golos, Tireless Pilgrim at the helm, can link the deck if you want). Your list looks pretty solid but I miss 3 cards.
1, Aminatou, the Fateshifter cuz Aminatou, the Fateshifter + Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God + Oath of Teferi you just win the game on the spot.
2, Ajani, the Greathearted is really neat, lets you put counters on your friends. So underrated in my humble opinion.
3, Contagion Engine really pulls its weight.
Also if you are ok cutting some creatures Spreading Plague can be nasty.
Lastly you got a plus one from me, keep showing your friends Love!
4 years ago
Hi Arcan1s_666, thanks for the comment.
I'm still very much in progress modifying my list after WAR. So far it looks like at minimum I'll be losing Liliana Vess and Tezzeret the Seeker and Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver . I'm also looking at increasing the number of instants and sorceries, partially to leverage the new God-Eternal Kefnet . This includes more focus on asymmetric discard sorceries (think Arterial Flow ). Some of these may replace a few of the wheels, because the desired effect is to produce card advantage for me (by reducing opponents cards in hand, or more ideally doing that while also getting card draw from Geth's Grimoire ). I agree that wheeling can be tough when you have one combo piece in hand and few ways to recur them. I use wheels because they force my opponents to discard their entire hands, which gives me a ton of triggers, and because I can Notion Thief to keep those hands empty.
Another answer to that specific problem is to wheel when it would be advantageous to do so even when you have a partial combo. Obviously if you have a full combo you want to keep that hand, but if you have one piece of a combo but you have Geth's Grimoire or Waste Not , go ahead and wheel - you'll draw such a giant flood of cards that you're likely to draw a piece of a different combo and/or a tutor or two. Playing with wheels often requires learning to "let go" of your existing hand even when it has a few pieces you'd like to keep.
I'm also likely to add Yawgmoth's Will back in. It's just too good. Previously I thought I could replace it with Deliver Unto Evil for both cost and flavor, but I think the ideal is actually to just run both. Playing out of my opponents' graves is great, but I'd very much like to play from my own as well when needed.
4 years ago
Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions! While some of these cards you suggested are ones I would like to have, but they are a bit expensive for the budget. I did like your suggestion on having discard as a way to slow down my opponents. When I started building this deck, I was going to add Raiders' Wake and Heartless Pillage in there, but took them away in the end. I do have Herald of Anguish in my collection, so I can easily add that. I also considered having Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver and Visage of Bolas in the deck, which with making opponents discard cards would be nice addition as well.
Mechanized Production looks like it could be worth it in the deck.
4 years ago
if i have to planeswalkers of the same name example Nicol Bolas, the Arisen and Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver, is it the kegend rule that does one of them die. and can i keep them both with Mirror Gallery?
4 years ago
hkhssweiss I will add Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh eventually, I believe he is very powerful and deserves a spot in the deck. I will not be adding Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver as I feel he is not powerful enough for 8 mana.
I do like all of your ramp suggestions and will use them if I feel the deck needs more mana-fixing/ramp.
Sweltering Suns and Cower in Fear are too weak to be good in this deck. Sadistic Sacrament is so cruel and so awesome! That card can single handedly take out an opponents chances of winning so I will definitely throw that card in at some point. Countersquall is an auto-include as it’s an on flavour Negate. I removed Slave of Bolas because I felt it was too much mana for the results it produced. Crux of Fate is definitely strong and I will consider it. The only problem with the card is if I come up against a deck with a large amount of dragons. Blood Reckoning will almost never stop the token decks from killing me so I decide not to run it. Imp's Mischief while on flavour, can easily be replaced with a copy of Redirect so that I don’t lose life. Great suggestions!
4 years ago
I feel like you will need to add in all the Nicol Bolas planeswalkers in here. I am very particular to Nicol Bolas, God-Pharoah and should be included in here asap LOL!
Also Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver would be on point with theme as well, since we are in Grixis colors. We need all the mana acceleration ramp, cards like Dimir Signet, Rakdos Signet, Izzet Signet, Talisman of Dominance, and Talisman of Indulgence will help you in casting all the spells since Bolas loves doing things in style.
Hopefully that helps!