|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Welcome Deck 2016 (W16)||Common|
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Marked by Honor
Enchantment — Aura
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has vigilance. (Attacking doesn't cause it to tap.)
Marked by Honor Discussion
3 months ago
I would start out with cutting a lot of those enchantments like, Crusade , Honor of the Pure , Divine Sacrament and Marked by Honor . Why would you want that many anthem effect on already "huge" bodies?
I dont know your meta, but at least in my playgroup i had the problem with mono w angel tribal that its just too slow, So i had to have more removal to even survive.
Cards that i suggest are (There are way more but these come to mind first): Emeria Shepherd - Just too good recursion, gets more out from your grave than Reya, Pearl Medallion - Helps with ramping, Angelic Arbiter - Makes opponents choose between casting or attacking, Guardian of the Gateless - make this guy indestructible and its a golden blocker against go wide decks, Hour of Revelation - Hits all nonland permanents, and in multiplayer game easy to cast for 3 mana, Return to Dust - One of the best spot removals, Brave the Elements - cheap way to protect your dudes from something nasty, Cleansing Nova - Mass removal that lets you choose mode, yes please, Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx - Just way too good mana for mono colored deck,
1 year ago
I'm not an expert, but here is some general advice that I would have ignored if i'd gotten it when i first started:
- You can't win the game just because you have a lot of life (caveat: unless your deck is designed to do that, e.g. Test of Endurance). This means cards like Angel of Mercy and Angel's Mercy are just "delay" cards - they'll keep you from dying for a turn, but nothing else. You need to be able to win otherwise. That's not to say lifegain is bad (Ajani's Pridemate would eat me if i tried), but lifegain for the sake of lifegain is insufficient.
- Walls are good only if your deck is designed to be strong in lategame. Otherwise they are bad. It took me a long time to learn that. They can't attack, generally don't have any abilities that can win the game, and generally don't even prevent you being attacked (walls like Souls of the Faultless are an exception). Blocking a creature without killing it means it will just swing at you again next turn, and next turn it might have a friend, and now you can only block one of them. So unless the deck is designed to be strong late-game, you can generally replace walls with anything else and be equivalent or better-off.
- Card synergies are important. For example, you have Wingsteed Rider, but there are only two cards in the entire deck that will actually trigger his Heroic ability: Mighty Leap and Marked by Honor. Now, the base creature isn't bad (2/2 flying for 3 is decent/average), so i'm not saying take him out. Just, keep it in mind.
- Whenever you see a card, try to look for or think of interesting interactions. Since you're new, there are a ton of cards you're unaware of, and it's hard to keep everything in mind. For example, Enchanted Evening + War Priest of Thune (if everything is an enchantment, he can kill anything) or Angel's Mercy + Sanguine Bond (you gain 7 life and they lose 7 life).
- Some cards are the same as other cards, but one is just straight-up worse than the other. I can't really think of any examples using your cards, so i'll use these instead: Open Fire is strictly worse than Lightning Strike (3 CMC vs 2), which is itself strictly worse than Lightning Bolt (2 CMC vs 1). And it's not "old cards are worse than new cards", because Open Fire was just created/released, whereas Lightning Strike has been released several times. Just something to keep in mind. Closest example I can think of using your cards aren't straight comparisons, e.g. Angel of Mercy vs Serra Angel.
- This is a good resource: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Advanced.aspx It has every single card in MTG, and their rulings. It's one of the few sites I know of where the official site is better than most fan sites
2 years ago
I have some notes.
I think you could remove:
The thing with Auras is, because they are attached to a Creature and go to the Graveyard if that Creature dies, you get "2 for 1ed" by your Opponent.
What that means is that they only have to play one card, Murder for example, to get rid of two of your cards - your Creature plus the Aura on it.
The only time you'd use Auras is if they have a couple of really amazing effects.
See if you have any cards you can use instead that kill, or Exile Creatures, or that Counter spells.
You have a healthy amount of draw.
Prophetic Prism did a good job of preventing you from being colored screwed. That is when you don't have the right coloured mana to play cards in your hand.
You have 15 Creature spells that cost 4CMC or higher. That is too many.
I would try to have four 4CMC Creature spells and two or three 5CMC or above Creature spells. Choose the ones you think will help you win and cut the rest.
In their place you can put more Creature spells that cost 1, 2, and 3CMC.
Look for Creatures that have 2 or 3 toughness (or even more than that), good evasion like Flying, or Menace, or Creatures that do something amazing in the late game.
When you've made some adjustments tag me in these Comments, and I'll take another look at your deck.
It would also be useful for you to let us know how it has been working, thus far.
2 years ago
19 creatures in an athreos deck isn't going to use your commander much. You also don't have many other permanents that can provide devotion if you want to get on the beat down plan.
Some things have just too little impact, I think. I'd suggest cutting these to make room for more creatures and permanents:
- Guardians' Pledge, Grotesque Mutation, Spidersilk Net, Angelic Benediction, Divine Favor, Marked by Honor, and Show of Valor and narrow pump effects. Rarely do they make a difference in EDH.
- Executioner's Swing, Cradle to Grave, Smite the Monstrous, Pharika's Cure, and Essence Extraction are all narrow removal that costs a lot of mana.
- Alms of the Vein in a format where your opponents have 40 life, 3 life once is almost nothing.
- Chaplain's Blessing You gaining 5 life isn't going to make much of a difference when people are swining at you for 20+ damage in a single turn.
- Purge the Profane and Mind Rot is too targeted (and you have two of them)
There are more, but this is a good start. Got any other creatures in your collection? Throw them in!
2 years ago
I think you need some more ways of giving Ojutai vigilance. Triclopean Sight, Daybreak Coronet, Auramancer's Guise, Iona's Blessing, Marked by Honor, Vow of Duty are some good auras for that purpose. Sword of Vengeance is a really good equipment to give him vigilance. Sphere of Safety and Ghostly Prison are two more Propaganda type effects.
3 years ago
First things first, your mana base needs help. This deck needs about 13 more lands. Generally you want any type of deck to be about 40% land. It can vary depending on Somewhere between 34-40 lands should be fine. I have 38 lands in my EDH deck with a 5 mana costing Commander. Based on the cards currently in your deck, you will need more blue sources than white. Here is a site that lists all the lands available for your Commanders colors
You will also benefit from more mana producing artifact aka mana rocks. They will help you ramp into more mana faster as well as provide both colors of mana from one source, for the most part. There is a mana rock section in the link above, but here are a few of the better options:
Azorius Signet, Commander's Sphere, Talisman of Progress, Thought Vessel, Thran Dynamo, Gilded Lotus, Sword of the Animist (doesnt produce mana, but it lets you fetch land), Weathered Wayfarer (allows you to fetch land), Knight of the White Orchid (allows you to fetch land), Solemn Simulacrum (allows you to fetch land)
Now, lets go over the decks synergy with its Commanders abilities. Protecting your Commander once its on the battlefield is important but luckily Dragonlord Ojutai has Hexproof, but only when he is untapped though, so giving him Vigilance becomes an important element of the deck. Also, to insure you will benefit from his last ability, making Dragonlord Ojutai Unblackable is also helpful. These are all options that could help:
VIGILANCE - Always Watching , Sword of Vengeance, Angelic Field Marshal, Avarice Amulet, Mammoth Umbra, Vow of Duty, Ajani Steadfast, Akroma's Memorial, Concerted Effort, Daybreak Coronet, Accorder's Shield, Auramancer's Guise, Avacyn's Collar, Haunted Cloak,Iona's Blessing, Serra's Blessing, Serra's Embrace, Shield of the Righteous, Asha's Favor, Marked by Honor, Triclopean Sight, True-Faith Censer, Vigilance
UNBLOCKABLE - Cloak of Mists, Holy Mantle, Invisibility, Spirit Mantle, Steel of the Godhead, Traveler's Cloak, Unquestioned Authority, Spectra Ward, Infiltrator's Magemark, Godsend, Chitinous Cloak, Flickering Ward, Prowler's Helm, Rogue's Passage, Trailblazer's Boots, Tricks of the Trade
Once you add some artifact equipments and/or enchantments, you will need a way to make sure you can get them onto the battlefield each game. You can do that by using the following cards to fetch them from your deck:
Enlightened Tutor, Open the Armory, Steelshaper's Gift, Fabricate, Heliod's Pilgrim, Drift of Phantasms, Muddle the Mixture, Dizzy Spell, Ring of Three Wishes, Tamiyo's Journal, Auramancer, Hana, Ship's navigator, Academy Ruins, Buried Ruin, Stonehewer Giant, Mystical Tutor
Regarding your removal spells, I would suggest adding some cards with Exile effects and spells that can target/effect more than one creature/permanent. These are just a few examples:
AEtherize, Boomerang, Condemn, Cyclonic Rift, Disenchant, Oblivion Ring, Path to Exile, Return to Dust, Supreme Verdict, Swords to Plowshares, Unsummon, Vapor Snag, Wrath of God, Banishing Light, Damping Matrix, End Hostilities, Oblivion Ring, Grasp of Fate, Quarantine Field, Unstable Obelisk, Valorous Stance, Descend upon the Sinful, Evacuation, Fate Forgotten, Reality Shift, Detention Sphere, Phyrexian Rebirth, Rout
To make room for more lands and some of the cards I suggested, youre going to have to remove some spells. These are the ones I dont think have much synergy with your Commander:
Archaeomancer, Aven Surveyor, Benthic Infiltrator, Clockwork Vorrac, Deep-Sea Terror, Doomed Traveler, Expedition Raptor, Hisoka's Guard, Kor Cartographer, Niblis of the Breath, Noble Templar, Phantom General, Pristine Skywise, Prodigal Sorcerer, Sandsteppe Outcast, Skaab Goliath, Thraben Inspector, Bewilder,Fleeting Distraction, Ojutai's Breath, Ojutai's Command, Pressure Point,Rakshasa's Disdain, Refocus, Sift Through Sands, Twiddle, Twitch, Tidal Surge, Jeskai Runemark, Fleetfeather Sandals, Lightning Greaves, Vessel of Endless Rest
3 years ago
Sooooo I seem to have missed the memo that stated Welcome Decks are considered Standard legal. Is this true?
No data for this card yet.