Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
|Pauper Duel Commander||Legal|
Creature — Elf Rogue
, Tap an untapped creature you control: Gain one mana of any colour.
2 months ago
As for things to cut, here is my list-
Cards to definitely cut- 1) Abomination of Llanowar he's just a big, dumb of elf with a target on his back for removal. There are better options. At least Drove of Elves has hexproof, but I wouldn't even play that. The only one I'd play is Jagged-Scar Archers, and that's because of its utility against flyers.
2) Elvish Rejuvenator He gets a land, but doesn't actually ramp you. And that is if you get a land- you might whiff. You have better options. If you really want this effect Sylvan Ranger costs one less mana and is guaranteed to not whiff.
3) Eyeblight Cullers 5cmc is just too much for something that only gives you three tokens on its death, and you have no mill synergy.
4) Golgari Findbroker This card was made for draft. It just costs too much for what it does. Its not just the four cmc, 2 and 2 is a high opportunity casting cost.
5) Harald, King of Skemfar He's basically a 3/2 with menace that replaces himself. The clause on Tyvar might seem good if you add him (which is good idea, btw- he'll be worth it even if he doesn't stick around too long), but even then you have to remember that he won't find Tyvar the majority of the time. Again, its nice he replaces himself and gives you some selection, but there are better options.
6) Jaspera Sentinel Dorks are great, but you have to tap two creatures for one mana, which is a bad rate in elves. There are better dorks suggested above.
7) Masked Admirers This is one of those cards that Wizards stuffs into every precon conceivable, even though its bad in most of them. We don't need it here.
8) Thornbow Archer He's only draining one life for each time he attacks. That isn't enough to justify his slot.
9) Voice of Many You get maybe three cards for four mana at most? He's not the worst and he does draw cards, but I've never liked him.
10) Voice of the Woods This might sound like a good use of your elves, but its better to pump your elves than to use them to summon elementals. Plus he costs five to cast.
11) Tergrid's Shadow We have a joke about this card in our playgroup, but in general it isn't what we want. Letting your opponents pick what they sacrifice means you'll rarely hit the thing you need to get rid of. You might as well just play Doom Blade or any other premium removal card in these colors. There are a lot!
12) Poison the Cup They just put this in the precon because foretell was a Kaldheim theme, but there are so many cheap (both in real world and mana cost) black removal cards that this one shouldn't make the cut.
14) Return Upon the Tide This just costs too much mana, and you have other better recursion pieces out there.
Cards to think about removing
1) Serpent's Soul-Jar This card could be good, but could also be a trap. Your graveyard is a resource, and exiling everything from it prevents mass recursion. Also, your opponents can target this with removal and you'll never get your stuff back. I'd probably just play Haunting Voyage, Patriarch's Bidding, and Living Death to get your goodies back for more fun!
2) Twinblade Assassins He does draw cards, and is probably at least as good as Phyrexian Arena while he lives. So you might keep him, but he costs 5cmc, so if you have enough card draw you might want to cut him.
4) Nullmage Shepherd This can allow us to remove problematic stuff. But tapping four elves is a bigger cost than we often want to pay. Something to think on.
5) Sylvan Messenger Again, this card does get us some draw, much like Lead the Stampede which I used to play does. I've just never found it good enough to include though. Nonetheless, you want at least ten pieces of draw, and this does count as that!
6) Eyeblight Massacre This will kill a lot of stuff, but will often leave what you most need to kill alive. Ezuri's Predation is a recently reprinted board wipe that is now more affordable and will wreck your opponents while leaving your stuff intact. In Garruk's Wake and Plague Wind cost a 25 cents each and will hose everyone but you, and because you are playing elves you can afford their cmc!
7) Ruthless Winnower Having played against this card I can attest that it is annoying, but your opponents will often kill it before it can have too much impact. If it were a lower cmc it would be a guaranteed in, at least it will take the heat off of more important cards. It is high at 5cmc though. Keeping it might be the right choice, but I'd at least consider it.
3 months ago
Thank you for your feedback multimedia! I am not currently at a PC but I will update my list as soon as I can. I had a feeling the 63 cards would draw attention, it was unintentional, I realized I completely forgot Path to the World Tree after putting together my list. I like your suggestions alot and it is everything I was looking for. I do not own any Magda, Brazen Outlaw or Jaspera Sentinel but I will look into acquiring some copies. I am still waiting for some cards to come in so I can playtest for real.
3 months ago
Hey, interesting start/WIP for five color Dragons in Standard.
You have too many cards, 63 is three cards too much consider cutting 2x Commune with Spirits and Bloodfell Caves to make 60 cards? You have too many creatures to play Commune since it can only reveal a land or enchantment not a creature. 27 lands is high, cutting some for ramp would help.
For Dragons in Standard Magda, Brazen Outlaw is great because she can create ramp for treasures or sac treasures to tutor for and put a Dragon of your choice onto the battlefield.
This is a core for ramp and to tutor for Dragons. Jaspera is the tap enabler for Magda that makes mana two ways by tapping Magda and creating a treasure. Innkeeper is the best two drop in Standard for ramp, play 4x if you're playing high CMC creatures. After Innkeeper makes it's treasure it can be tapped to make mana with Jaspera.
Showdown is powerful draw in Standard since it lets you potentially play any of the cards you exiled for two turns meaning you get a turn with all your lands and mana dorks untapped to play the exiled cards including a land from them. Ramping into Showdown turn three, four or five gives you potential to exile a Dragon, The Kami War Flip or even another Showdown to then play those cards with your ramp on your next turn. There's no restriction of what cards you can exile on the top of your library with Showdown which is great.
Another good draw option is Unexpected Windfall which also creates treasures, but to play it you would want to add more red sources in the manabase because of it's double red mana cost.
These a good numbers for these cards.
- 6x Forest
If you choose to add Jaspera Sentinel and more Prosperous Innkeeper then you'll want more Forests because being able to cast Jaspera turn one can give you an advantage. Consistently casting Innkeeper turn two is also important which more Forests can help with. Another option rather than more Forests is add Pathways that can be green on one side: Cragcrown Pathway Flip, Branchloft Pathway Flip, Barkchannel Pathway Flip. Cragcrown would be best because one side of it can be red to cast Magda, Brazen Outlaw if you don't need a green source.
If you go for the more treasure route and you have to play lands that always ETB tapped then I think Uncharted is the best option since it gives you a lot of choice in game of what color to choose that you need.
Dragon's Disciple would be better as ramp. Path to the World Tree would also be better as ramp since it only puts the land into your hand and rarely are you going to use your mana to activate it. Boseiju Reaches Skyward Flip isn't worth four mana. The Dragon-Kami Reborn Flip has powerful saga levels, but is really too slow to get any value from it since it has to flip, you have to have a creature among the two exiled cards and then you have to a Dragon die to be able to cast that creature. I think it's more of a sideboard card for very slow matchups.
Jaspera Sentinel with Magda, Brazen Outlaw is better than Shambling Ghast and Reclusive Taxidermist. Ghast could be a sideboard card for aggro matchups, but consistently in those matchups you would want to cast it turn one which requires a lot of Swamps. I don't think it's worth negatively affecting the other colors in the manabase for Ghast.
Good luck with your deck.
4 months ago
If you're looking to speed the deck up, I'd consider adding: Elves of Deep Shadow, Birds of Paradise, Wild Growth, Utopia Sprawl, Boreal Druid, Elvish Pioneer and the all-mighty Deathrite Shaman. For those, I'd look at cutting: Kodama's Reach, Rampant Growth, Elfhame Druid, Farhaven Elf, Jaspera Sentinel, Llanowar Visionary, and Springbloom Druid. Selvala, Heart of the Wilds is an amazing card, just not sure if it belongs here, maybe replace it with Elvish Guidance. There's also always Heritage Druid,
And hey, if you've got a Gaea's Cradle, Crop Rotation is a must (and its slower cousin, Sylvan Scrying, which also makes Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx a good add. More ($$$$) lands to consider would be: Cavern of Souls and Yavimaya Hollow. Other utility lands you might want to check out would be: Emergence Zone, Nurturing Peatland, Castle Garenbrig, and Wirewood Lodge.
For card advantage, yeah I agree that Glimpse of Nature and Oakhame Adversary are good options, along with Sylvan Library, Necropotence, and Dark Confidant if you've got the $$ and looking to get as close to 100% as possible. Regal Force is a non-elf that's essential in elf decks. Some other options would be: Pact of the Serpent and Elvish Visionary. In terms of tutors, definitely consider: Chord of Calling, Eldritch Evolution, and maybe even Woodland Bellower and Fauna Shaman. Decks closer to CEDH would probably include: Vampiric Tutor, Diabolic Intent, and Survival of the Fittest. Also, Eternal Witness might be too good to not include, along with Noxious Revival. Patriarch's Bidding is a cheaper Haunting Voyage.
Hope this helps! Happy brewing
9 months ago
Update! Pulling too many high cmc cards early game. Also, the deck played like it needed a 1-3 cmc creature that had a 5 in power, that could lower the cost of The Great Henge enough to be an optional play turn 4. So, ADDED Jaspera Sentinel +1 Lovestruck Beast +4 REPLACED Iymrith, Desert Doom -2 Ilysian Caryatid -3.
Went 10-1 in mtg arena platinum 3 hrs before posting this.
10 months ago
Nice budget deck! Besides from attacking with Kalamax in order to get him tapped, (because some times you will risk getting him killed) may I suggest these casual cards that also help ramp your mana: Saruli Caretaker , Jaspera Sentinel , Springleaf Drum and the not-so-great-at-mana-fixing, old Honor-Worn Shaku .
Moreover, the Crew mechanic is a free way to tap Kalamax and some great examples are: Smuggler's Copter , Aethersphere Harvester , Heart of Kiran , Cultivator's Caravan and maybe a Conqueror's Galleon Flip for some late game options when you flip it over.
11 months ago
Some possible How Abouts: Abomination of Llanowar , Boreal Outrider (you might want some Snow-Covered Forest and Snow-Covered Swamp if you go this route), Elf Replica , Elvish Warmaster , Eyeblight's Ending , Gilt-Leaf Ambush , Harald, King of Skemfar , Jaspera Sentinel , Nadier's Nightblade , Numa, Joraga Chieftain , Path of Ancestry , Pendelhaven Elder , Prowess of the Fair , Quest for Renewal , Quirion Ranger , Reclamation Sage .
1 year ago
Not a terrible list. There are some subpar cards in here though, although I'm sure some of them fit the "legendaries I like" bill and so that's just down to fun vs winning.
Forever Young is not usually great recursion. It seems good, but it messes with your draws. You'd rather just have other cards drawn or spells that bring creatures back onto the battlefield. The two runes are just kind of okay. There's no obvious downside, the power level is just a tiny bit shy of where cards should be in Constructed formats. Tajuru Blightblade is also low power. You want something with abilities that will benefit the rest of your deck, not something that trades with anything that blocks and leaves with no other value. Jaspera Sentinel is a little slow, and there are better elves to look at for an elf deck. Sarulf, Realm Eater is very slow for a sweeper and hits your own creatures as well, most of whom in the elf package are small. Sculptor of Winter is decent ramp, but you don't need it. An elf deck should be fast and aggressive, and in this one you can have your larger creatures as a backup plan later.