Force of Savagery
Creature — Elemental
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Force of Savagery occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Force of Savagery Discussion
4 months ago
This seems really interesting, but also pretty narrow. You'd need a critical mass of matching CMC between auras and creatures you can get into the graveyard.
May I suggest a revised version that is more flexible?
Amdael, Dire Auramancer
Legendary Creature - Troll Shaman
Aura cards you control have "As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may pay . If you do, as this spell resolves you may return target creature card with converted mana cost less than or equal to X plus the converted mana cost of this aura from your graveyard to the battlefield and attach this aura to that creature."
An alternative wording of the ability:
Aura cards you control have "As you cast this spell you may pay the mana cost of target creature card in your graveyard reduced by the mana cost of this aura. If you do, as this spell resolves return that creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield and attach this aura to it."
This was actually more difficult to create than what I intended. Initially I wanted it to basically become Animate Dead with an additional cost attached to it equal to the difference in CMC between the aura and the creature. However that idea was kinda screwy as is the text on Animate Dead.
It does provide some benefits over the OP's suggestion
- For one you can use a Holy Strength to resurrect Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite with a mana investment.
- Basically as long as you have an aura, you can play any creature from your graveyard. Yes, that makes Rancor or Flickering Ward extremely beneficial in this deck. However you're also playing an aura centric deck, that naturally sets you a bit behind.
- You don't require a very metrical combination of creatures and auras to make it function, so it opens you up to experiment more with auras. Auras in general is not favored in Magic, so I think we can afford them some flexibility here. I get that one of the OP's points was that restrictions makes people creative. I fear it makes the deck type too narrow to only include mid-costed auras and low costed creatures. My revisions are not hindering that tactic as the cost reduction is still the same, you just have a higher ceiling.
- It's one package - meaning one Counterspell takes care of the whole lot. It also means you can effectively reanimate creatures that cannot sustain themselves, say Force of Savagery, as there's no time in between the creature entering and the aura attaching, where state based actions are checked and would kill the Force.
- A flaw; there's no target when reanimating as it happens during resolution - so no interaction, no exiling the target in response. Can just be seen as an upside that you wont have paid the cost of the creature for nothing. The alternative wording I made fixes this flaw, but that also opens it up to so much vulnerability. Suddenly a Scavenging Ooze becomes an unlimited Essence Scatter for .
- A flaw; to simplify the design I made the additional cost which means you can bypass color requirements/intensity. The alternative wording I made should solve this problem - if you cast a Aura and intent to cast a creature, you still need to pay as the aura can only reduce the generic mana cost in this instance. The problem is that this wording makes it a LOT more complex to fully understand.
7 months ago
Artifact - Vehicle
When * enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token.
Safety Raft cannot become a creature unless at least one creature is tapped to crew it.
I'd like to see a card like Force of Savagery in terms of how it fundamentally doesn't work, not in terms having toughness = 0
7 months ago
This is a great deck! You beat all the companions that came your way.
To balance out the mana-base, I would swap a Swamp for a Plains. I also, for extra companion hate, would put three Drannith Magistrates into the sideboard and take out a Gaddock Teeg, a Collector Ouphe and a Gemrazer.
8 months ago
Oath of Karn
Legendary Artifact Enchantment
When Oath of Karn enters the battlefield, create a 0/0 colorless Construct artifact creature token with "This creature gets +1/+1 for each artifact you control."
You may cast Planeswalker spells you own from exile.
I'd like to see an interesting vanilla creature. Force of Savagery, Yargle, Glutton of Urborg, and while Scornful Egotist isn't vanilla, the idea of for a vanilla 1/1 is kinda weird. Not like in just a bad way, but like in a One with Nothing, interesting way.
9 months ago
Whenever you mutate a token, populate.
I really hope there's a card which cares about mutating tokens. I think that's such a cool aspect.
1 year ago
aholder7, I see where you are coming from with this concern. I am running the Force of Savagery simply because I want to see if I can make it work, one of the big reasons I am running Lightning Greaves is to protect our Incandescent Soulstoke to and avoid 2 for ones but it may not always be easy to have all the pieces to the puzzle so I'm running cards like Icon of Ancestry and Flamekin Harbinger to fall back on... even with all of this being said there is a 100% chance that once I play around with the deck I will see that It needs changes... Some of these changes may include cards like Lightning Skelemental , Spark Trooper or maybe Rhythm of the Wild . Thank you for the good suggestions! :)
1 year ago
I’m a little nervous on the Force of Savagery . They only work if you have an anthem out which you have 6 total in the deck from my count. And 4 of those are. Features that can be removed with all the most common removal which opens you up to some devastating 2 for 1s. If you just want high power and trample you can go with any Ball Lightning variant. Perhaps Lightning Skelemental or Spark Trooper . There is also the option of a threat that comes back such as your Thunderblust which could find a friend in Phytotitan .
1 year ago
I appreciate the comment :) .
I like your suggestions about creature protection. Do you have any mostly red ideas for card advantage?
I don't see why it can't splash green for more useful things.
I'd like to keep the Nova Chaser theme but how would you build//rebuild this deck?
This was a casual deck that had some "fun" modern potential.