|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Fate Reforged (FRF)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Archers of Qarsi
Creature — Naga Archer
Reach (This creature can block creatures with flying.)
Archers of Qarsi Discussion
2 years ago
I agree; 27 lands is way too few in EDH. I generally run 37-39 plus a few pieces of ramp. I'd take out the following cards and replace them with lands:
- Archers of Qarsi
- Cloudcrown Oak
- Kessig Recluse
- Lifecraft Cavalry
- Quilled Wolf
- Radjan Spirit
- Tajuru Pathwarden
- Vulpine Goliath
- Frog Tongue
- Sheltered Aerie, and
- Spidersilk Net.
If you like Mono- stompy, I highly recommend Omnath, Locus of Mana as your commander, as he both ramps you can grows ridiculously large with any unused mana you have.
Hope this helps! In addition, I recommend buying a preconstructed Commander deck for anywhere from $25-$50; they have some valuable cards and some pretty awesome commanders!
2 years ago
The Archers of Qarsi should be in the sideboard at least. Also, Naturalize is almost always better than Springsage Ritual (and should be in the sideboard as well). And it's probably better to play some Nature's Lores than Ranger's Path.
2 years ago
This might be long ONLY because I have a lot to say that may be helpful. Bear with me here!
Galvanic Alchemist would be a wonderful addition to this deck, as you can use it's Soulbond ability on both Axebane Guardian and Doorkeeper, and multiple of all three can potentially lead to an infinite mana/mill combo if you make the correct choices.
Returned Phalanx would be good as well, as it would give some some means of offense, should you have the opportunity to attack.
I would highly recommend that you have some Reach in this deck, as you currently have no way of defending against creatures with Flying. To this end Archers of Qarsi could work really well. Aim High would allow you to untap Axebane Guardian and Doorkeeper as well as give them +2/+2 AND Reach. You should definitely have a 4-of of this. Shape the Sands and Spidery Grasp are likewise potentially helpful.
I really like the thought of using Aspect of Gorgon in this deck. It would turn one of your Defenders into a sturdy, murder-y machine. Considering adding some of these! If not those then maybe Coat with Venom?
Consider dropping or reducing the amount of Gatecreeper Vine. You don't need a lot of mana for this deck at all, so having a weak Defender that pulls a land card won't do too terribly much for you. There are other Defenders that could take that spot and work better for what you want to do.
As your Sideboard would possibly suggest, having a set of counter spells would be helpful in this deck. There are plenty of Common counter spells, like Cancel, Calculated Dismissal, and Counterspell. With counter spells I usually tend to avoid because it can be mana-intensive, but I don't think that would be too big of a deal for this deck so if it works, go for it!
Okay... I think I'm done. I hope this helps!
3 years ago
Haha, okay. Well, Selfless Cathar requires you to sacrifice it, pay mana, and then your creatures get +1/+1 until end of turn which isn't that great. Maybe replace him with something else?
Zendikar Resurgent is pretty cool, but it doesn't really help you ramp at all as it is the most expensive card in the deck.
You might want to consider taking Obsessive Skinner out as you will likely not get delirium that quickly.
Joraga Auxiliary has a pretty expensive ability that doesn't do much.
I'm not sure how much you depend on land-seeking abilities like Ainok Guide's but this one seems like the worst as it doesn't put the card into your hand and takes up a draw.
Selvala's Enforcer doesn't get big unless you are playing with a LOT of people and just gives your opponents card advantage.
Kavu Primarch doesn't do much and I don't think you will ever want to pay the convoke cost.
Coalition Honor Guard just soaks up removal.
Hopefully that helped!
3 years ago
I would take out the Ulamog's Despoiler, and the Archers of Qarsi, add in cards like Mistcutter Hydra and maybe Phyrexian Hydra. If you're looking for some staples to throw in, Sol Ring and Solemn Simulacrum couldn't hurt. Chaos Warp is a favorite of mine, as is Worldspine Wurm if you're looking for big game enders
3 years ago
Very interesting base idea but with some flaws
I will not list what to put out since I would put out a lot here (would be too long). And for another reason I wont do it. You should build the deck yourself and let it evolve and not build it how I would do it.
Just some outlines of what I think and some card ideas.
The flyer+snake idea is good. If your commander gets too much hate you can still build up pressure with flyers.
To your snake part I would suggest adding:
- Ophidian - Another card drawer to use with your commander but with the drawback of not being able to deal damage if you draw
- Seshiro the Anointed - lets you draw a card with every snake dealing damage (if the snake already does you draw 2) AND it pumps all your snakes
- Amoeboid Changeling - you dont have snakes? Make something a snake. Oh and this is also a snake.
- Shapesharer - this card can be fun - it is everything you need. Doesn't need to be a snake. A Darksteel Colossus from your opponents side is cool too. If you first use your commander you keep the unblockable AND the bonus on the copied creature.
To your flyer side I would suggest adding some power:
- Fleetfeather Cockatrice. Fun creature. But it would need testing if its really strong enough.
- Horizon Chimera - interaction with card draw + flash + flying + trample -> nice
- Simic Sky Swallower - this guy is just insane. Its big, it has flying and your opponent has a hard time getting rid of it.
- Trygon Predator - kill the nice things your opponents have just because they shouldn't
- Winged Coatl - self explaining and fun
Another thing is: You play blue. You need counterspells. More of them.
- Counterspell - classic
- Dismiss - counter sth and get a card
- Pact of Negation - counter for 0 if needed.
- Plasm Capture - more mana in the next turn
- Voidslime - the ultimate green-blue counterspell
Lastly I would suggest cutting cards with really weak effects like:
- Rush of Ice - if you need to get rid of sth kill it, bounce it, counter it but dont let it live. A possibility is Pongify
- Crippling Chill - same as above
- Jace's Scrutiny - same as above
- Ojutai's Breath - same as above
- Roilmage's Trick - same as above (in 5 colors it could be good)
- Lead by Example - you can do better in green. Since you dont play with counters there are better options
- Anticipate - you can do better if it comes to card draw
- Negate - I gave you better options. This is too focused
- Archers of Qarsi - unless you focus on walls and defenders this one is useless. Concentrate on winning and not on prolonging the game (unless you win with it of course)
So. Let's see what you do with those suggestions. Further ones may come.
3 years ago
Changed around a bunch of stuff in the deck today, balancing it out. Took out some of the theme archer creatures - that though cool - just slowed the deck down too much Archers of Qarsi and Sagu Archer
3 years ago
I tested it out a little bit. Mostly I was struggling to get enough land in play. I'd suggest getting it up to 24 land would make it more consistent.
Otherwise, the Makindi Sliderunner seemed to be the best performer in my test games with it. Scythe Leopard and Retreat to Kazandu put in good work too. Radiant Flames was good too. I'd suggest focusing the gameplan more on those cards. Undergrowth Champion was doing some fun things, but I'm not sure it contributed a lot to winning results.
On the other hand Belligerent Whiptail, Embodiment of Fury and Gaea's Revenge were never a good fit for any situation I was in and they often just sat around in my hand never getting cast. Archers of Qarsi was a nice surprise to draw in a situation where the opponent cast a Dragonlord Ojutai, but it still didn't quite work out well enough.
When I was playing around with a RG landfall deck, I focused more on Scythe Leopard, Dragonmaster Outcast and Grove Rumbler. Then I wanted as many ways to get bonus cards/lands as possible, so I went with a package of Sword of the Animist, Animist's Awakening, Abbot of Keral Keep, Ire Shaman, Wildcall, and Commune with Lava. It's not necessarily the best way to go, but I had a lot of fun with it.
No data for this card yet.