SCORE: 32 | 22 COMMENTS | 5827 VIEWS | IN 15 FOLDERS
Core Set M20 Update —July 15, 2019
List of planeswalkers from the new M20 Core Set and their tiers:
- Sorin, Vampire Lord
- Ajani, Inspiring Leader
- Chandra, Flame's Fury
- Mu Yanling, Celestial Wind
- Vivien, Nature's Avenger
These 'walkers were expected to have high-cost and weak abilities simply for being in precon decks. There is little reason to play them save some surprisingly decent abilities such as Ajani's -3.
- Chandra, Awakened Inferno
- High-cost can not compete with faster decks.
- The card's ability to spam emblems is good for this format, but is almost entirely useless without something like The Chain Veil or Chandra's Regulator to increase the rate of the spam.
Others abilities can clean the board and gain you an advantage, assuming you run the strategy the card was designed for.
- Third ability does not function in Oathbreaker.
- Barely scratched mid-power due to lower cost and a decent 'walker for green aggro.
when do u normally update for new sets? I'm interested where the walkers from M20 fall
July 10, 2019 3:57 p.m.
- The list will be updated either the day of, or close to day of release of the new set.
- This ensures that people who have actually used the card can adjust their decklists accordingly, and it gives a better understanding of how each card actually plays.
- In short, Friday is the earliest they can be logically added.
July 10, 2019 7:06 p.m.
I personally think Wrenn and Six should in the top tier. His low cost and plus 1 when combined with his signature spell Crop Rotation and Strip Mine will lock most decks out of the game by as early as turn 2-3 consistently. I’ve had it happen to me numerous times.
July 11, 2019 1:16 p.m.
Could you also explain to me why saheeli the gifted is banned as well?
July 11, 2019 1:20 p.m.
July 11, 2019 1:47 p.m.
- Wrenn and Six is powerful, no doubt.
- The 'walker works well in the current meta, but the format is still young.
- There are many card combinations that work consistently due to the nature of the Oathbreaker format; many of them powerful, even amongst the lower ranked 'walkers.
- The 'walkers in maximum-power have been assessed to have far greater latent abilities and combos, even if they are slower.
I was going to write more, but I felt like I was extrapolating.
Saheeli, the Gifted is banned according to the Oathbreaker Ban List (https://oathbreakermtg.org/banned-list/)
There may be some other reason pertaining to this on the website, but I can think of a couple good ones to supplement:
- She provides a mana-cost reduction as a +1 that could be very easily abused.
- This mana-cost reduction works with her other +1.
- It is more than likely due to her synergizing too well with artifacts.
July 11, 2019 1:53 p.m.
- Please refer to the "Will Kenrith" section underneath the "Competitive" section.