"I'll smash your political system like your politicians smashed your flimsy American economy. RUHAN FOR PRESIDENT, VOTE FOR RUHAN!"
--Ruhan of the Fomori
An explosive combo deck that aims to deal 21 with Ruhan of the Fomori
. Designed to play in up-to-4-player-multiplayer. Brutal against fewer players. Ruhan doesn't care about your political machinations. Ruhan just wants to Smash Your Face (insert Uncle Sam picture here). Likely to win the first time you face a group of opponents (but possible to get hated out after that). Go beat up your friends with it! Sunforger
is the obvious trick, used to tutor for:
Copy effects make Rush of Blood and Fatal Frenzy lethal in one turn:
Or we can just take a 2nd combat step:
To find Sunforger, we have:
To punch through this damage we want some evasion:
and some removal:
Signets and other mana rocks help us ramp into Ruhan as early as turn 2 (turn 1 island ==> Sol Ring
==> Boros Signet
= turn 2 Ruhan). Since the deck hugs a low curve, Winter Orb
can lead to some utter blowouts, and the six mana rocks and Land Tax
will help us recover more quickly than the typical durdling EDH deck.
Now, what you probably didn't expect is a Runechanter's Pike
. With 30 instants/sorceries the pike should be +4/+0 pretty fast, which is enough to win the game with any kind of double strike. Normally, dig spells are too weak for use in most EDH decks, but here we want to see as many cards as possible on the early turns, so we have a small cantrip/pike package:
And some countermagic protects Ruhan while feeding the Runechanter's Pike:
Since we really only have one win condition (Ruhan), we need to be able to protect him. Citanul Flute
and sometimes Cellar Door
can get him back if he gets tucked with Hinder
or similar. Homeward Path
is important if he's stolen. Swiftfoot Boots
are important and are better than Lightning Greaves
in this deck since we need to be able to target Ruhan.
Other equipment buffs Ruhan and makes nasty combos with Puresteel Paladin
and Leonin Shikari
For lands, I don't have access to original duals right now, but they would be a prime addition, along with Karakas
. Instead, we have lots of fetchlands since our life total is mostly irrelevant and they help thin our deck. During the early turns we can't afford to have our lands enter play tapped, so I've limited the number of slow lands to just Glacial Fortress
, Clifftop Retreat
, and Sulfur Falls
. If you count Cavern of Souls
there are five colorless lands, which might be too many for this deck, but they are all important: Spinerock Knoll
is actually really
good with Ruhan.
The planeswalkers in this list might seem weird, but they have their purposes:
- Ajani, Caller of the Pride's -3 for double strike and flying should be a kill, then he can buff Ruhan or just be a Fog for a few points of damage.
- Elspeth, Knight-Errant's 2nd ability should also be a kill and she should also be a Fog.
- Tezzeret the Seeker is fine as a tutor for Sunforger and a Fog, but I don't mind ramping with him and some signets.
- Jace, the Mind Sculptor is everything we want. His -1 will probably be the most helpful, but as always he will draw lots of hate.
Other cards that I'm considering adding:
- Rhystic Study should be great here since it would either keep your hand fueled or punish decks who are actually willing to lose tempo by spending mana.
- Crucible of Worlds to recover from Armageddon and reuse fetchlands. Strip Mine and/or
- Wasteland would also be nice if you don't mind losing friends.
- Surestrike Trident is just more evasion for Ruhan, but it allows him to target a specific opponent, keep him out of combat if that's desirable, and works well with vigilance from something like Slayers' Stronghold. Add untap effects like Freed from the Real if that's your thing.
- Snapcaster Mage really belongs in any deck running this many instants/sorceries, but I haven't made room for him yet.