Trying to mod repeat performance to make it a little more competitive and with a little less cards that will be rotating out this fall. I am new to MTG and any suggestions would be helpful.
Well, here are some suggestions.
1) The deck has a lot of single copies of card which make it a bit more inconsistent than it should be. As they are soon going out of standard, I would suggest removing the Brutalizer Exarch , Sunblast Angel , Glimmerpoint Stag and regrettably the Blade Splicer to start.
2) To fill these spaces up, I would first get an extra card:Avacyn's Pilgrim to round out the playset; your deck will like the mana! It may be an idea to get an extra Roaring Primadox , but it might not be essential. More copies of Fiend Hunter and Elvish Visionary may also be a good choice. Also, look out for Restoration Angel ; this is a great replacement for Glimmerpoint Stag ! One more Stonehorn Dignitary is another option.
3) If you can afford one, switch out Hollowhenge Scavenger for another Thragtusk . You will nearly ALWAYS get 5 life with the Thragtusk and it gives a beast token when it leaves, unlike the Scavenger. It might be hard to get hold of though, as they are very popular.
4) Mwonvuli Beast-Tracker in this deck as it is can only search up one creature as far as I can see (the Stingerfling Spider ; you can replace this with something else.
5) When card:Green Sun's Zenith and Lead the Stampede go out of standard, you'll need to fill that space too. Those Oblivion Ring s in the sideboard will always be handy in the mainboard, but I also advise just to scout around and see what seems good.
Overall, just test out stuff and get as much advice as you can. I understand you are a new player so many of these cards may be difficult to obtain; see if you can trade cards around to get the ones you need. Good luck! :)
August 25, 2012 3:10 p.m.
I was actually lucky enough to pull 2 extra Thragtusk s from boosters, but was originally going to use 1 for tradebait. I'll probably put it in though.
August 26, 2012 1:57 p.m.
Improving your chances of drawing a Thragtusk would help you capitalize on the amazing value it has to offer. :) Using one for tradebait is fine, as long as you can get the cards you need from it. Restoration Angel should be high on your list if that is the case, as it is very good for this kind of deck.