Creature — Boar Beast
Woolly Razorback enters the battlefield with three ice counters on it.
As long as Woolly Razorback has an ice counter on it, it has defender and any combat damage it would deal is prevented.
Whenever Woolly Razorback blocks, remove an ice counter from it.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Woolly Razorback Discussion
1 year ago
HobbyGamer007 Thank you for your time and effort, i'll go through every card now.
- Woolly Razorback: I know, I usually had it in here as another Plan B if Arcades gets too much hate but it's proven itself worthless and it will be exchanged.
- Counter: I know they are not the best and I'll replace them with some of you suggestions maybe, also probably Cyclonic Rift and Stifle
- Cultivate will be replaced with Farseek and i can't part with my japanese Skyshroud Claim i pulled in a Battlebond booster while I was in Tokyo. I know it's not the fastest but I also like Lands more than mana dorks because creatures die a lot faster in ouf group.
- Nature's Claim is a great card and it will replace Disenchant
- Don't underestimate Shield Wall and Steadfastness (the other mentioned cards are way worse). Normally I have 5-6 defender on the battlefield with an avg. toughness of 5, that's 25/30 strenght + one of the instants its 35-45 strenght which is normally enough to kill an opponent. Those cards often gave me the 1-2 extra damage I needed to kill.
- Disallow I like it because it gives versatility, but could be replaced with Stifle
- Dispel is very narrow and wasn't very usefull, could also be replaced
- Reality Shift is nice, probably switch Pongify for it
- Dorks: as I said, I don't really like dorks, maybe Noble Hierarch and/or Birds of Paradise will find a slot some day
- Signets are great to get the commander faster, depending on where I want to go with it
- Muddle the Mixture I don't really have any crucial 3 cmc cards in the deck yet
- Mystical Tutor great and could search Tower Defense for example but I don't think it is mach needed yet
- Sylvan Library and Mirri's Guile are very nice I look if I can get my hands one one, but without lifegain I prefer Mirri's Guile
For the lands, they are very good and I mentioned a lot of them under the "Fast Mana Base" tab. But I initially tried to keep the deck on a budget also because I think a lot of people following the deck will do. Nonetheless I increasingly wish for cards like Strip Mine in my deck. So I'll probably add one or two in the future. Also I'd probably add Adarkar Wastes and Brushland.
Thank you again for your suggestions and I'm happy that you took the time to comment on my deck to show me good improvements for my existing cards!
1 year ago
Sure thing. Sorry that took a while:
- Woolly Razorback: too expensive, not good
- Hindering Light: not good
- Remove Soul: not good
- Render Silent: too expensive, hard to cast
- Rewind: you don't wanna leave 4 mana open
- Chromatic Lantern: fixes all your mana, so it will be destroyed right away
- Cultivate: not good
- Skyshroud Claim: too late
- Condemn: not good
- Disenchant: claim is better
- Shield Wall: calculate mana cost/toughness boost. a 2 toughness per mana boost is good, anything wose should just stick or do something(like Call to Glory or Glorious Anthem, and even these are kind of bad.)
- Steadfastness: see shield wall
- Disallow: trickbind is better imho
- Pongify: leaves a 3/3
- Mana Leak: can be useless
- Dispel : very narrow for a deck like yours. I'd prefer Autumn's Veil or Heroic Intervention. adding the latter.
- Reality Shift: exile is awesome
- Noble Hierarch: mana dorks
- Elvish Mystic
- Llanowar Elves
- Fyndhorn Elves
- Arbor Elf
- Birds of Paradise
- Wild Growth
- Selesnya Signet: mana rocks
- Azorius Signet
- Simic Signet
- Mystical Tutor: finds everything
- Nature's Claim
- Echoing Truth
- Muddle the Mixture: finds a lot of really crucial cards and doubles down as an emergency counter
- Sylvan Library: too good not to run, even without paying life, fetches make this great. maybe also consider Mirri's Guile
Mana base(33 is enough at this average cmc):
- Tropical Island
- Arid Mesa
- Flooded Strand
- Marsh Flats
- Misty Rainforest
- Polluted Delta
- Scalding Tarn
- Verdant Catacombs
- Windswept Heath
- Wooded Foothills
- Horizon Canopy
- Reflecting Pool
- Adarkar Wastes
- Yavimaya Coast
- Ancient Tomb
- Nimbus Maze
- Strip Mine: Maze of Ith so you always wanna have one of these four sooner or later during a game.
- Ghost Quarter
- Tectonic Edge
- 3 Forest
- 3 Plains
- 4 Island
That's what I'd do and then playtest it and go tweaking. Hope that helps and also that it wasn't too brutal. For real tweaking please add a list of decks you play against or how a normal game looks like(amount of combo decks, creature decks, control decks per game). You do run lot's of creature spot removal, but I let that in, since you might need it.
1 year ago
Balzeron: First of all I would like to say that I am honored that my deck has helped inspire your deck building. Secondly, I have some responses to you comments below:
Amaranthine Wall and Hornet Nest are ones that I am still considering. The indestructibility is definitely a nice ability and being able to make a bunch of 1/1 flying death touchers when someone blocks the nest is pretty awesome.
Fog Bank, Guard Gomazoa, and Mindbender Spores are all great cards if you are going a more defensive route. I chose to exclude them because I am a more aggressive list and I wanted big (4 toughness or greater), cheap walls.
My deck personally doesn't want cards like Manor Gargoyle, Ezuri, Claw of Progress, Woolly Razorback, Plumeveil, Soulbound Guardians, or Fortified Area as all of these cards either have power greater than 2 or pump my creatures power. I rely heavily on staying at 2 power or less so I can abuse Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive or Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa.
The same goes for Doorkeeper. Mill is already hard enough to pull off with a dedicated mill deck in EDH because decks are large and there are 3 opponents. I'd rather play either larger walls or defenders with more relevant abilities.
The banding suggestions are interesting. I had to re-read the rules on banding and I did not realize it also affects attacking creatures. Those could be interesting, I'll have to think about that.
Spidersilk Armor and Tower Defense are awesome with Arcades and may very well end up in my final list. Right now I want to try out Hold the Gates over Spidersilk Armor as it has a higher upside and I already have a number of answers for fliers (Wonder, Angelic Wall, Wall of Tanglecord, Wall of Denial and Arcades himself). Since this list is aggressive, I think vigilance is actually a more impactful keyword in my deck. I already have a pseudo Tower Defense in Defender of the Order. I don't think Defender is particularly better than the Defense, but I have an old foil of it from Legions which I just really want to play.
Thanks for the comments and if you ever want another pair of eyes on your deck, let me know.
1 year ago
This is actually a deck I really want to build, and know nothing about making a commander deck, so I'm keeping a very close eye on this deck! Some card suggestions/ideas I personally have would be:
Amaranthine Wall, I played this wall in a draft game a few weeks ago and the indestructible ability pretty much won the game for me by itself, and is what inspired me to think about this kind of deck. Manor Gargoyle is another good choice for this.
Champion's Helm, Good equipment to keep our commander safe
Doorkeeper, the mill potential is pretty high here
Ezuri, Claw of Progress, since so many walls have 0 power,
Wave of Reckoning, as another board wipe
Woolly Razorback, doesn't have defender, but is cheap, becomes a 7/7, and can block literally any amount of damage 3 times
Shield Bearer, Wall of Caltrops, Wall of Shields, Fortified Area, Baton of Morale, Helm of Chatzuk, Formation, Remember banding? I used to love banding! I think banding would compliment a wall deck very well. Being able to dictate where your opponents damage goes is a big plus I think
What do you think of these suggestions? I really want to buy the cards for a deck like this soon, and your deck is a huge inspiration to me.
1 year ago
Trying to decide between a second Mangara of Corondor for extra removal or one Masako the Humorless, for blocking with our mana dudes (and flashing it for one surprise blocking)... or a second Wurmcalling.
1 year ago
- Rage Nimbus *
- Vent Sentinel ***
- Wall of Omens ***
- Wall of Torches **
- Woolly Razorback *
- AEther Membrane
- AEtherflame Wall
- Angelic Wall
- Basilica Guards
- Cathedral Membrane
- Dragon Egg
- Dragon's Eye Sentry
- Fortified Rampart
- Geist of the Lonely Vigil
- Guardian Zendikon
- Ogre Sentry
- Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo
- Order of the Stars
- Perimeter Captain
- Pride Guardian
- Roc Egg
2 years ago
This looks like fun, Woolly Razorback is such a badass!