Creature — Human Knight
Wintermoor Commander's toughness is equal to the number of Knights you control.
Whenever Wintermoor Commander attacks, another target Knight you control gains indestructible until end of turn. (Damage and effects that say "destroy" don't destroy it.)
Printings View all
|Throne of Eldraine (ELD)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Wintermoor Commander Discussion
3 days ago
I did a similar Orzhov (BW) Knights Deck Knights of Exile, though we did some things differently. I went at mine with a Spike mindset, but if you're happy with what you have, I'm all for it.
Cards You Should Remove:
- Kunoros, Hound of Athreos (doesn't synergize with Knights, not a bad card though)
- Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (doesn't synergize with Knights. I had her in an older iteration of my deck but realized she doesn't give any value to my Knights at all. I would recommend swapping her with Gideon Blackblade, better for what you're doing)
- Evolving Wilds (It's not bad, you should understand that you can only pull Swamps and Plains with it)
- Forever Young (The first iteration of my deck had that sort of "bring shit back from the dead" mindset behind it, but I find it's not super effective for what Knights are)
- Tymaret Calls the Dead (doesn't synergize with Knights, just forces you to mill and potentially lose Knights which you're playing)
- Underworld Dreams (doesn't synergize with Knights, not a bad card though)
Cards I Would Recommend:
- Gideon Blackblade (as mentioned, is good for Knights)
- Acclaimed Contender (can help you pull Knights that you need)
- Icon of Ancestry (is a direct buff to Knights, free +1/+1 for playing what you're playing)
- Knights' Charge (synergizes with Knights, is insanely powerful late game. It's more of a synergistic Forever Young)
- Basri's Lieutenant (free Knight generation, is just a really good card for Knights)
- Basri's Solidarity (synergizes very well with Lieutenant)
- Wintermoor Commander (Gets stronger the more Knights you have, can give any creature free Indestructible)
- Tournament Grounds (free Mana for casting Knights)
- Unbreakable Formation (everyone gets Indestructible, and if you cast it during your Main Phase, it helps synergize with Basri's Lieutenant)
Deck Building Tips:
- Constantly be asking yourself "What value does this bring to what I'm playing?" Synergy is fun to play with, but you also have to play around what helps you get to that synergy.
- A bad card that's good when you have another card with it is a deck building trap. I fall victim to it all the time, I tend to read card effects and love the card before I realize what it means to the deck.
- Figure out what your strategy of your deck is. I like playing Midrange, so I tend to play for the lategame with ways to keep me going until then. Another iteration of the Knights deck is Mardu (RBW) that focuses on equipment spells and being Aggro (you play for the early game and want to win as soon as possible). Find your playstyle, and look at ways other people are running that playstyle.
- If all else fails, netdeck. If you didn't know what that was already, it means copying someone else's deck and running it yourself. Many in the MTG community dispute it, but it's not a bad thing to use as a learning tool.
Hope this helps!
1 week ago
You might want to fix the land base. Not that having 24 swamps is bad, but you could definitely add some more utility lands. You may want to consider Castle Locthwain. As you said, you won't be dropping life that often, so the drawback on this may not be as bad.
If you're really going for the Knight Tribal theme, you may want to add in some tribal cards to boost them or gain effects from them. For some of these, you'll have to splash white, but again, that's up to you: The Circle of Loyalty, Wintermoor Commander, Blacklance Paragon, or Knights' Charge.
Good luck with your deck!
2 weeks ago
1 month ago
3 months ago
Thanks for the comment!
I'm avoiding adding anything with mana cost 3 or higher (unless it has a mechanic to reduce its cost) because with a low land count they make it difficult to cast multiple spells per turn (as well as use up all mana).
I'm still on the fence with Wintermoor Commander because his only real function with this deck build would be his Indestructible granting ability -- and even that isn't useful as much as you'd think since I can usually get quite a horde of creatures swinging very early on and then just use Bone Splinters or Conclave Tribunal to remove any real blocking threats. Originally I thought the Indestructible ability would at least come in handy vs. direct damage decks, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference even there since using him you have to declare your target(s) first making it minimal protection at best.
Generally speaking (based on my observations playtesting) any deck that can have enough creatures on the board to really be able to do serious blocking against a good initial hand-draw has very weak/cheap creatures and one removal spell is all that's really needed. Indestructible just isn't serving a huge function, or if it is, it's pretty sporadic based on most of the deck types I've run up against playing Standard format.
On some of your other suggestions, I'd thought about Blacklance Paragon but I'm a bit torn as to what I'd drop to add him in. The only reason he was left out of the original build is that the deck is set up to use up all available mana each turn to keep the pressure on, so the Flash thing isn't really an option for defense. I guess he could still bring some surprise Deathtouch while attacking, but since I can't make full use of his abilities very much I took a pass. Maybe I'll play around with him once I sort things with Wintermoor and give him another look.
My issue with Stormfist Crusader is that I don't like giving my opponent extra cards. In general, unless a deck has some kind of additional mechanic or synergy utilizing card draw in some way; I've found giving the opponent card draws to be a fairly poor idea at any cost. I've also only got Smitten Swordmaster for lifegain myself so force-losing life per turn could be bad (especially since with this build I'm generally paying the 2 life on Shock Lands when they enter play). Having one in play might be manageable but games with multiples in play would almost certainly get too crazy.
As for Syr Gwyn, I'd have to completely rebuild the deck to include equipment and play to his mechanic. The card draw off of him is nice, but by the time a 6-mana drop enters play there won't be a ton of creatures in-hand to really make much use of it beyond occasionally topdecking a creature draw for an extra card or two. So far it's been doing incredibly well as a Speed Deck as-is so I'm going to have to pass on that one. Most games I can win finish with only 3 or 4 mana in play.
3 months ago
I have a similar knight deck that is Standard legal. If you like flying a nice add with some added control is Ardenvale Tactician. I'm debating removing Order for same reason as you, as well as thinking of replace the 2x Acclaimed Contender as they are a little slower and lower impact that I was originally hoping. Some other good adds to look at would be Stormfist Crusader for added card draw (I often find myself with no cards in hand due to the speed of the deck) and Wintermoor Commander for the added Indestructible ability. Good combo is running Blacklance Paragon + Fervent Champion . Also using Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale with various equipment cards makes for good buffing mechanics and helps recover from opponent creature destruction/control. Food for thought!!
4 months ago
Updated deck with the cards I have so far - swapped out Adriana, Captain of the Guard, Khorvath Brightflame, Order of Midnight, Silverwing Squadron, Valiant Knight, Wintermoor Commander, Nahiri, the Lithomancer, Cathars' Crusade, True Conviction, Blackblade Reforged and Loxodon Warhammer.
Although it moves some way towards the suggestions of more ramp, more removal and more card draw given up a lot of creatures & specifically the bigger ones in return. Might make keeping up in the mid and later stages of a game pretty tough. Feel a bit unsure on changes but will need to see how it plays out.
5 months ago
Wintermoor Commander is another one that sprung to mind after my original post. He's delightful.