Wheel of Torture
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, Wheel of Torture deals 1 damage to that player for each card fewer than three in his or her hand.
Printings View all
|Urza's Legacy (ULG)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Wheel of Torture Discussion
1 month ago
love the deck - I have a similar concept (less self discard, more bounce) Mind crusher, Dream Breaker
Painful Quandary - makes every spell hurt
Oppression - painful quandary's smaller, more angry brother
Paupers' Cage - aoe rack effect is good
Wheel of Torture - aoe rack effect, with the best flavortext pun ever
Bottomless Pit yet another aoe discard
Rackling - rack with legs
1 month ago
The only one I can get behind is Invoke Prejudice - the artist is a white supremacist and the depiction of KKK members was never OK.
The rest are weird:
- Pradesh Gypsies - how is it banned, but Jhoira of the Ghitu and all the other cards depictiping gypsies are fine?
- Cleanse is extremely far-fetched. How is Absolute Grace not implying black people lack grace and white people are shining with it? Does Righteous War fuel racial conflict because it gives protection from the opposite race?
- Stone-Throwing Devils - is it the reference to the bible or the reference to real world practises? Or is it neither of those at the same time?
- crusade and jihad - while having references to the real world, these are far from connected to what the real events do. There are 21 cards with "crusade" or "crusader" in their name, none of them banned. Heck Tivadar's Crusade literally has a goblin being tortured on a cross.
- Imprison - is this the way to honor the work of the late Christopher Rush, who made the Black Lotus and is singlehandedly responsible for much of Magic's popularity thanks to his super famous card? Even if it is OK to do, why is Oubliette not banned, despite being an extremely similar card in terms of theme. Or Wheel of Torture which directly conflates real-world game shows with torture for a laugh (it is a hilarious flavor text).
Most importantly, why now? Why after 3 weeks of protests and not 2 weeks? Why not in 2016 when similar protests were occurring? Or at any point prior to that? These have been part of the game for 20 years. How were these cards printed, when all of these were contentious topics even back then?
The bandwagon is strong with this announcement.
3 months ago
How have I never seen Noetic Scales before?! If you don't build that deck, I will.
Trinket Mage is a slow but sure way to get out more The Racks. Ancient Stirrings either gets land or The Racks. In addition to the Nezumi, Storm World or Wheel of Torture as your noble work in multiplayer.
4 months ago
Since you’re using a discard strategy have you considered cards that punish opponents for having a low hand count rather than Megrim effects? Cards such as this list:
- Hellfire Mongrel
- Lavaborn Muse
- Nezumi Shortfang Flip flipped
- The Rack
- Wheel of Torture
- Quest for the Nihil Stone
- Shrieking Affliction
- Storm World
- Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage
With these types of cards your opponents will be taking damage even if they haven’t discarded. The problem with megrim type cards is if opponents have nothing to discard the megrim type cards are just dead cards at that point. The cards I suggested on the other hand will be doing damage every turn. I’m not saying use all of them just saying some of them could replace megrim type cards. Myself though, I’ld make room for all of them because I go all in when it comes to certain themes.
4 months ago
e, thanks for the comment! I agree, Kess, Dissident Mage could be a good commander. She could easily be swapped in. I'm sure i'll switch it up occasionally but I like Nicol Bolas, the Ravager Flip for now at least.
Pain Magnification says 3 damage from any source. So anything that deals 3 damage to an opponent, including anything from another opponent. So Lavaborn Muse's ability would activate this. Any attack from one opponent to another that does 3 or more damage, etc. I haven't tested it enough to say that it is staying in the deck forever. If I end up not liking it I may swap it for Wheel of Torture or Shrieking Affliction. If I ever end up getting Bloodchief Ascension that would also be a good replacement for it as well.
8 months ago
Would recommand removing 3 to 7 basic lands and I suggest these budget cards: Capital Punishment Creeping Dread Strongarm Tactics Khorvath's Fury Rackling Wheel of Torture Outpost Siege Oracle's Vault War's Toll Call to the Netherworld ... Sire Of Insanity if you feel evil.
1 year ago
I absolutely have to suggest Wheel of Torture for its flavor txt. It’s the only one where I’ve laughed out loud to myself after reading it. Chuckling right now thinking of it.
1 year ago
You seem to really like card draw, so i'm surprised you missed Indulgent Tormentor !
This deck is pretty budget, but if you want a great comander draw engine consider saving for Rhystic Study .
If you are aiming to do some damage with AoE B Enchantments, consider getting Painful Quandary .
If you want to go a bit more discard route, how about Quest for the Nihil Stone , Wheel of Torture , Shrieking Affliction . (you'd need cards like Guul Draz Specter , Stronghold Rats , Urgoros, the Empty One .)
I feel like card draw is less valuable then you might think. At some point i wonder what it is you want to draw with your card draw, and why having card draw would be better than having said card in your deck. I wouldn't expect any card draw in a deck with your commander. If you'd have to make this deck without any card draw, what would it look like? What problem then, are you solving by adding card draw?
GL with your deck and playing mtg!