|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Born of the Gods (BNG)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Vanguard of Brimaz
Creature — Cat Soldier
Heroic -- Whenever you cast a spell that targets Vanguard of Brimaz, put a 1/1 white Cat Soldier creature token with vigilance onto the battlefield.
Vanguard of Brimaz Discussion
1 month ago
Hi TwinStags! I thought I might come here and check out your deck list!
First impression: You have a lot of things going on, it will keep you busy every turn. In fact some of your ideas are good but fall short of executing with a bang.
I see you have Akroan Crusader , Phalanx Leader , and Vanguard of Brimaz . These cards point toward a token build but I do not see any pump spells like Titan's Strength , Mighty Leap , and Artful Maneuver .
You have Aurelia's Fury in here. Did you know you will need 6 mana on every opponents turn to lock them down? That's 18 mana per round. Unless you have Paradox Engine or a bunch of Treasure Tokens this idea will not be viable.
Short answer: Concentrate on tokens, add Assemble the Legion to the deck and a lot of pump spells and combat tricks and you'll have yourself a fast deck that pew pew with Sentinel Tower and Aetherflux Reservoir while pinging them with Guttersnipe , Firebrand Archer , and Electrostatic Field .
1 month ago
Renegade Tactics -> Draw but it's a sorcery and that really hampers it
Seize the Day -> Cute, but I probably don't win with single creature combat
Flickerwisp -> Too much blink, and not enough blink targets
Gilded Lotus -> A bit expensive and lots of my spells are 1 mana, not 3
Unwinding Clock -> only useful with a handful of mana rocks
1 month ago
TwinStags I'm so sorry. Oblation Draws you two cards. And NOT two lands. Consider Skullclamp instead of Oblation to draw two cards. 1 colorless mana to equip and kill a token to draw two cards instead of 2 colorless and 1 white to exile a token and draw two cards.
When you run Heroic creatures you have a competition. Heroic creatures require you to cast a spell targeting them to trigger the effect. So if you have a pump spell would you target Zada, Hedron Grinder or Akroan Crusader , Vanguard of Brimaz , or Phalanx Leader ?
Tough choices huh? I guess it depends on what spells you run, just don't run a mix of spells or you'll end up hating your luck on drawing the spells you need.
1 month ago
Im confused by what you mean by Oblation and two lands. It’s just draw two cards?
In my head I totally thought we had more direct damage cards for Stuffy Doll & such. Even if we did, it’d be really relying on getting him out. Or adding Boros Reckoner and Spitemare . Even then it’d be a whole side route of watering the deck down
I just realized the sac cards don’t work with Feather and Akroan Crusader / Vanguard of Brimaz don’t bounce with Zada/Mirrorwing. Do you think either of those are worth keeping in... or is heroic mostly a waste when you have Zada/mirrorwing at your disposal?
I’ve seen play styles of all the types at this point but agree the Spell slinger and token are the strongest.
1 month ago
TwinStags Here are the cards you want opinions: Oblation Stuffy Doll Silverclad Ferocidons Crack the Earth Misguided Rage ( Phalanx Leader Anax and Cymede tokens with Young Pyromancer Launch the Fleet Monastery Mentor Akroan Crusader Vanguard of Brimaz ) Goblinslide Tenth District Legionnaire Burning Prophet and I'll give you my opinions.
Oblation : This is a great card! For 2 and a White you exile a token and get TWO LANDS!! VALUE!! Until you run out of basic lands to fetch. Then you're getting rid of 1 creature threat at a cost of giving two lands to only ONE of your opponents. ChibiNature's explanation for getting rid of Oblation is higher up on this thread. But Oblation only does so much for 3 CMC. Compare to other spells that is in this deck, that is also 3 CMC, Oblation is a clear choice to cut. BUT, if you are going the TOKEN route for your EDH deck then this is good. Not great, only good.
Stuffy Doll Silverclad Ferocidons : These two are basically the same effect, hurt them and they hurt our opponent. So the question becomes 'How many 'Direct Damage' spells are we going to run? The answer: Not enough. These two cards do not justify the amount of direct damage spells we need to run to kill our opponents.
Crack the Earth Misguided Rage : These cards have no synergy with Feather, the Redeemed , there is no value because we can't replay these cards unless we do graveyard recursion which is a host of other cards that is NOT in Boros colors.
Phalanx Leader Anax and Cymede tokens with Young Pyromancer Launch the Fleet Monastery Mentor Akroan Crusader Vanguard of Brimaz ) Goblinslide : This is actually a good idea, make a bunch of tokens and just spew all over our opponents faces. This is probably the 2nd best way to play Feather, the Redeemed . It does need a lot of setup and luck in drawing your creatures and spells. I can see an aggro deck that snowballs very fast. You'll be enemy #1 very fast. But can you bounce back after a boardwipe? How many turns will it take for you to rebuild your army of tokens? What about the balance of number of creatures to number of pump spells? How are you going to protect your tokens from being wiped?
Tenth District Legionnaire Burning Prophet : Scrying is nice. Drawing is better. For example you cast a spell onto Tenth District Legionnaire and you scry and decide to keep that card on the top. What happens to the next spell you cast onto Tenth District Legionnaire . If it is a pump spell, then it's better to cast it onto Zada, Hedron Grinder and pump ALL your tokens instead of only Tenth District Legionnaire . The same argument goes for Burning Prophet as well. My opinion is that Burning Prophet is better than Tenth District Legionnaire
You are missing two other ways to play Feather, the Redeemed . Have you looked into Flicker playstyle using Cloudshift and Otherworldly Journey ? Have you seen Zealous Conscripts and Stonehorn Dignitary ? Imagine casting Cloudshift onto Stoneforge Mystic ! ProTip: Use Zealous Conscripts to grab an enemy creature, then cast Cloudshift onto the creature you stole... that creature is now yours until it dies, not until end of turn!
1 month ago
Also, beating a dead horse with Phalanx Leader , Anax and Cymede , and similar pumps... we have the ability to really pump tokens with Young Pyromancer , Launch the Fleet , Monastery Mentor , Akroan Crusader , and Vanguard of Brimaz
Is pumping these cards too far away from the main point? Would they combo well with Zada and Mirrorwing?
1 month ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
2 months ago
+1'd! I like the look of your list, if you've had a few chances to try it out I'd love to hear if Primal Amulet Flip and Guttersnipe been doing well for you! Those are a couple of cards I'd like to try out in my own list, which can be found here if you'd like to take a look.
For some suggestions, I'd second Skullclamp if you enjoy the token route. It in place of Anointed Procession will likely give you better results; Procession costs a lot of mana initially and is pretty much only going to be making you additional 1/1's throughout the game. While it could be generating a BUNCH of 1/1's, the nature of your token producers require you to cast cards. Skullclamp will instead give you opportunity to gas up and generate more 1/1's in its own way.
I'd also recommend finding a spot for Vanguard of Brimaz , as the tokens with vigilance pair EXTREMELY well with Zada, Hedron Grinder and Seize the Day , which are both cards you have in the list. In the worst case scenario, Vanguard is just a duplicate copy of Akroan Crusader , a card you were already running in the first place. =]
No data for this card yet.