|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Uncommon|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Urborg Volcano enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add or to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (9)||thekingpinBR , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , Friedrice24 , bakunet , angesoir , Reliva , brentkc49 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , Zelpoke|
|Want (8)||Oskani , pezztalent , Viper_3000 , snowmaster55555atgmaildotcom , coadster , VampSlayer , Luftwaffle , rakdos24|
Urborg Volcano Discussion
9 months ago
11 months ago
If you're in the market for flexible answer-type of cards for this deck, BW pretty much has them all. Utter End, Anguished Unmaking, and Vindicate (thanks to EMA reprint) are all fairly inexpensive to get and do wonders as answers. They're a little more flexible than Crib Swap or Mortify imo. The theros scrylands are also a budget upgrade to some of your non-lifegain taplands like Urborg Volcano, and can help dig for the cards you want to find.
1 year ago
I would cut Urborg Volcano for Rakdos Guildgate. The reason is twofold, one is that the Guildgate is far more plentiful and more people probably have extra copies, so you're far more likely to find one and the person will probably let you bum it off them. The second is that the Volcano has a white border, versus nearly every other card in your deck having a black one, meaning it will be easier to track out of the corner of your eye while shuffling, making it a cheating hazard. :D
1 year ago
Hey there, I see your interested in building vampires too. I started doing up a list with all of my changes included, and this is what I have come up with so far:
There's just so many cards I wanted to cram into this thing and that is why it's currently about 5-6 cards over the limit, but this should still give you some ideas as to what to do with yours as well. Any feedback is appreciated on my own version!
Commander / EDH*
1 VIEW | IN 1 FOLDER
I'm currently leaning towards edgar markov as my commander although Licia, sanguine tribune I do admit looks like fun too.
Anyways the first thing I would start with here for your deck is improving the mana base a bit and taking out things like Orzhov Guildgate and swapping them for things like Godless Shrine, Shambling Vent, Concealed Courtyard, and what not. Same goes for the Urborg Volcano swapping for Blood Crypt and or Smoldering Marsh, and Foreboding Ruins. Some other lands to consider adding if you want to pay more on this deck include; Cabal Coffers & Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, fetchlands such as Marsh Flats, Arid Mesa, and Bloodstained Mire.
Additionally i'm sticking with the life subtheme, and strengthening it actually a bit by adding Exquisite Blood once I acquire one, Debt to the Deathless and or Exsanguinate, Aetherflux Reservoir, Felidar Guardian, and Alhammarret's Archive. Also while not being a vampire Rhox Faithmender could help even more with this kind of strategy, and you can get around them not being a vampire by running cards like Mephidross Vampire and Conspiracy.
Others to get for this are Bloodline Keeper, Necropolis Regent, Kalastria Highborn, Nirkana Revenant if you can afford it which would work great alongside previously mentioned Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Cabal Coffers and furthermore Crypt Ghast, Magus of the Coffers etc.
I'm also likely using Anointed Procession in my deck, as I can't resist wanting to try that out alongside edgar markov's eminence ability, and other effects from Bloodline Keeper and Call the Bloodline. Then likewise I will be including cards that care about having a lot of creatures out preferably. So I will have Westvale Abbey Flip, and things like Stensia Banquet, Sorin, Solemn Visitor, and possibly some other cards such as Vampiric Fury.
But I think I have written enough already and better come to an end, I do hope anyways some of this is of help to you!
1 year ago
- Palace Siege (high cmc)
- Pestilence and Pyrohemia will easily be removed at the first board wipe, so I believe they aren't as good as you might think
- Grave Upheaval is outclassed by Torrent of Souls
- Skull Rend is fun, but I don't know if it's good enough.
- Urabrask the Hidden is expensive and I don't think you actually need him there
- Maga, Traitor to Mortals (I don't like it all that much... plus, the triple B cost could be bad)
- Most of the times, people will choose take damage from Combustible Gearhulk, so that you cannot draw cards. Even with Rakdos on the battlefield, that will probably still be the case, so the gearhulk is more useful if you fill your deck with reanimation options. It's a good card, but I don't know if it's all that useful here.
- I'm unsure about Lobber Crew too.
AS FOR THE MANA BASE:
- Too many ETB tapped lands in my opinion. They slow you down quite a bit for a deck that wishes to bring Rakdos to the table ASAP. Keep only the ones you actually need. Flamekin Village can be replaced by Hanweir Battlements. Smoldering Marsh isn't all that expensive and should work better than Rakdos Guildgate. Urborg Volcano is beautiful, but I say drop it. And Dragonskull Summit can replace one of your gainlands (I'd say Akoum Refuge since I like Bloodfell Caves). Spinerock Knoll can be quite interesting as well. Ancient Ziggurat is excellent in a creature-heavy deck. Rocky Tar Pit functions the same as an Evolving Wilds, but instead of ETB untapped -> sacrifice and put basic land tapped, it allows you to get an untapped land your next turn (meaning you could still draw a card first to see which color you will need).
- Prismatic Lens gives you an easy ramp and some color fixing when needed, and Talisman of Indulgence is great.
- Manaforge Cinder is good at color fixing as well.
- Rune-Scarred Demon, Sidisi, Undead Vizier and Dark Petition all seem great in a Rakdos Deck.
- You could also go for a classic Diabolic Tutor, Demonic Collusion or Increasing Ambition, but I think the three I suggested before would work better.
- Staff of Nin is almost auto-include. Even though it costs 6 mana, the tap->damage ability allows rakdos to be recast or, if he's in play, it gives you for your next creature spell.
- Read the Bones for the scry 2 + draw 2 is actually excellent.
1 year ago
More testing and tweaking:
I love the thought of giving all my creatures deathtouch, but the cost of Archetype of Finality outweighed its benefit. Often my creatures already had deathtouch, and the archetype was too weak to really be a useful beater. Because I so often have Queen Marchesa out, Odric, Lunarch Marshal had the same effect for a lower cost. Plus, Odric combo'd with so many other creatures like Gisela, Blade of Goldnight (flying, first strike), Master of Cruelties (deathtouch, first strike), Vampire Nighthawk (flying, deathtouch, lifelink), etc...
The central effect I wanted with Archetype of Courage was to give my creatures (especially the deathtouch ones) first strike. Valor seems to do this better because it both combos with Odric, Lunarch Marshal and works from the graveyard, where it is much harder to remove.
Crawlspace was only rarely doing anything in my playtesting. Most of the time I'm getting hit with only one or two creatures anyway. Large numbers of creatures are equally prohibited by Ghostly Prison effects. Thus, the card usually just sat there. Brave the Sands was much more useful more of the time as it allowed me to attack and keep my attackers available for blocking, and then allowed them to block additional creatures. The combo of deathtouch/first strike/vigilance is super powerful on both offense and defense.
I liked the combo of Queen Marchesa and Garrulous Sycophant, but it was just too weak/slow to do too much. Bastion Protector makes Queen Marchesa 5/5 haste, deathtouch, indestructible. That's an incredibly powerful attacker or blocker, and she only gets better if I have Brave the Sands out or Valor in my graveyard. And if Odric, Lunarch Marshal is on the field, all my creatures gain indestructible.
Not too sure on this one, but I was finding that I rarely needed the hexproof and more often needed a largeish creature. My meta doesn't do a lot of burn or direct interaction. Angelic Skirmisher was more flexible for my creatures, giving them whatever keyword I needed at the time. It is a lot more expensive and doesn't have a huge body, so we'll see.
Needed more white mana, and the extra plains helps with Valor.
2 years ago
Okay, so first here's my deck as an example. If you go into the "custom categories" sorting of my build you'll see that every card is categorized for its specific purpose in the deck. The deck's theme is discard, so approx. 1/4 of the deck is devoted to doing that. Approx. 1/10 is devoted to both draw and removal (so 1/5 of the deck in total), so on and so forth. This process has let me see what I have too much or too little of in my deck.
The way to do this is to put "#whatever the effect is" after the card in the deckbuilder list. Hopefully this will help you see what you should cut from the deck to keep the theme (and the deck) consistent.
Additionally, I recommend you use resources like EDHREC.com. They can let you compare your decks to other decks on tappedout and gives suggestions. At the bottom of the page at EDHREC, there is a "Unique cards" section that shows cards that are not typically in other decks with your colors or your commander.
Now, in my personal opinion, you don't need some of the following cards: Cruel Ultimatum, Crucible of Worlds, Daze, Urborg Volcano, Jester's Cap, Isochron Scepter, Ward of Bones, Boseiju, Batterskull, Foreboding Ruins and Army of the Damned. All good cards but doesn't necessarily help with the theme of your deck.