Tyrant of Discord
Creature — Elemental
When Tyrant of Discord enters the battlefield, target opponent chooses a permanent he or she controls at random and sacrifices it. If a nonland permanent is sacrificed in this way, repeat this process.
Printings View all
|Avacyn Restored (AVR)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Tyrant of Discord occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Tyrant of Discord Discussion
2 days ago
Recommended additions and reasoning:
Mirari's Wake, Mana Reflection: These come at cheaper mana costs than your Zendikar Resurgent. Drawing a card on the Resurgent is good, but not good enough, since you have to cast the creature. While you likely will have enough mana to do so, it is going to be less common than cheating out the creatures. Additionally, Mana Reflection will work with all permanents, not just land. So your creature and artifact mana will double as well.
Exploration, Oracle of Mul Daya, Bloom Tender: all phenomenal sources of ramp. Highly recommend Oracle for the ability to remove land fromt he top of your deck, allowing you to dig that one card deeper... where you will find...
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth: Even if you aren't casting Kozi, you get a massive beater with Annihilator, and as a huge bonus, he helps recycle your graveyard in the event of a board wipe. Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Gaea's Cradle: You run a ton of green permanents, and if you take the Mana Reflections from earlier, you double the number of green you get from it. It is a really cool way to generate a ton of mana super quickly. about the Cradle, creature heavy decks can always benefit from it, and again... Mana Reflections doubles it.
Warstorm Surge, Stalking Vengeance: 2 enchantments that give you free damage that you can use as removal for opponent's creatures or nukes to the face. Additionally, fun interaction with the surge and the Blightsteel Colossus I also recommend, the Surge says the creature deals the damage... unblockable 11 infect shoots someone out of the game.
Panharmonicon: In a deck with a ton of creature based ETB effects, this artifact is a must. With the Surge from earlier out, now you get 2 of those triggers.... Eternal Witness: Phenomenal recursion, and can save you by getting back something you need from the graveyard.
Genesis Wave: Now that we have you pumping mana out like a pro, Genesis Wave for 40, and watch as a large amount of unnecessarily large creatures enter the battlefield and turn them sideways because you have...
Urabrask the Hidden: Yeah that's right, get that haste, and if someone tries to flash in a blocker it's useless.
Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Sigarda, Host of Herons, Privileged Position, Vigor: Because nothing says "fun" like having a boardstate that is hard to remove. Additionally, damage to your creatures makes them bigger. Thank you, Vigor.
Craterhoof Behemoth: You play this with 10+ creatures on the board, and you have an automatic 100 damage added to your total.
Tooth and Nail, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Zealous Conscripts: This is an infinite combo as well as the tutor to get it. Tap Kiki, copy the conscripts, use the new copy's trigger to target Kiki, untap Kiki. Tap Kiki, copy the conscripts... Create infinite Zealous Conscripts to attack everyone for yes damage.
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight: Amazing for both extra damage and protection.
Vedalken Orrery: Because playing on your opponent's turn is funny. And your Seedborn Muse really gets to put in work in a 4 player game, on top of the Mayael useage.
Vexing Shusher: Because nobody likes blue. This card is a big middle finger to blue.
Lurking Predators: So your opponent wants to cast things? Maybe you get a free creature for it. Can be quite useful.
Recommended cuts and the reasoning:
Desolation Twin,Krosan Tusker: They don't do enough to better your boardstate in my opinion. Desolation Twin is a 10/10 sure, but other than that, nothing. Chances are, you won't be casting it that much to get the second 10/10 anyways. The Tuskar only benefits you if you cycle it, otherwise it is just a mediocre creature. Additionally, cycling it only gets a basic land, of which you are running very few. This is not a criticism of your land base. I didn't want to touch it too much because my own landbase is significantly more expensive.
Pathbreaker Wurm, Tectonic Hellion, Tyrant of Discord: These guys are all decent, but the Pathbreaker only helps one other creature. The Hellion is cool, but what if you have the most lands? You aren't running Crucible of Worlds, but your opponents might be. the Tyrant is more of a personal preference, I don't like it because of it's random factor.
Rith's Grove: It is a bounce land, without the benefit of tapping for 2 mana like the dual color bounce lands. Not worth running in my opinion.
Pure / Simple: This card is too restrictive. Running the Krosan Grip, Swords to Plowshares, and Path to Exile are all better options. They don't force you to choose multicolor creature, or equipment or aura. They just remove a target.
Tragic Arrogance: I love boardwipes as much as the next guy, but this hits you just as hard as your opponents, and instead of using Invincibility to get through it, you have to sacrifice. Wrath of God would be a much better option in my opinion.
Rith's Charm: To me it doesn't do enough by itself to warrant keeping. You have little to no ways of getting it back or making more uses of it, so it is a 1 shot item. I'm sure by now you have noticed I prefer things that have multiple and recurring uses.
Overall, I love it. I love Mayael, and she has been my strongest and favorite deck for a very long time (2012). My current version relies very little on her ability, because I played with a bunch of rather rude people that played Pithing Needle and named her all the time. It was not fun, but building my deck to use her ability as an option, instead of a strategy, changed the way I used her, meaning that the needle no longer leaves my deck dead in the water.
Please keep in mind that my recommendations are just that. if that Gigantosaurus doesn't do anything, but you like it because it's a dinosaur, and you don't want to cut it, you do not have to. I unfortunately gave up all my dreams of having cards I like for flavor, aesthetics, etc, because I decided to build my deck to compete and even stomp on combo and control decks. I have no room for cards that don't serve to better my boardstate as a whole.
Final Note: I will be more than happy to provide further insight and feedback if you have any other questions.
10 months ago
I feel like you could use more ramp, especially since you're in 5 colors. one of my favorites is Perilous Forays + Omnath, Locus of Rage . you pay and sacrifice one of his elementals for 3 damage and then immediately get a basic to replace it. Also Tyrant of Discord is my favorite etb to abuse among elementals.
11 months ago
Hi, I hope that at least some of what i'm going to put here will be useful, and even if you don't use any of my advice then maybe you will be able to see where I am coming from and use the logic to find your own improvements :)
As the previous commenter has suggested the amount of ramp spells that put lands in to play in your deck is a bit to low for a ramp deck especially one that has subthemes of landfall. Typical commander deck building suggestions say that you should have 10 pieces of ramp to tide you into the midgame. This goes for any deck, not just ramp decks. In ramp decks you will want more. At my count you have 12 ramp cards that are reusable (ie, aren't the one shot sacrifice elemntals) this will want to be more really, with a focus on them being ones that put lands in to play. Another of note, is that cards like Zendikar Resurgent don't really count as a ramp slot, as by the time we can cast it, we have a lot of mana already. 'Ramp' cards are ones that you want to see in your opening hand to get you into your game plan faster.
For this reason I would look into replacing some of the creature based ramp and some other low impact cards with this ramp that will get us executing our main game plan faster and better.
These can all be easily replaced with land based ramp spells as they don't get you any further ahead on mana than 1 land, or are one shot abilities when we want to be dropping big things multiple times over multiple turns.
Smokebraider Is unique because it produces 2 mana for only 2 investment, but only if we focus in on elemtals so can be left on a short list to be evaluated. We'll list other potential cuts later when looking at more over all deck evaluation.
The previous commentor has provided a list which at first glance seems to be comprehensive enough to provide some ideas for what to add.
More conventional commander wisdom suggests that you have at least 5 ways to directly interact with your opponents game plan. I personally nearly always play more than this, but you should have at least 5. This direct interaction is preferred to be the targetted simgle response cards that can remove threats in any shape or form. Of note, this removal count is seperate from the count of mass removal. At my count you have Song of the Dryads , the down tick of Domri, Anarch of Bolas and Ingot Chewer as easily accessable removal. Things like the trigger from your commander or things like Magmatic Force are more incedental as you can't rely on them doing what you want when you need it.
Cards that could be added in this slot are many. But it is a good idea to have as many as you can being generic answers to anything, but also you need to make sure that they are ones you can realistically weave into your game plan instead of leaving up those answers at all times. This is mostly a balncing act that is where fine tuning comes in from playing the deck. But potential recommendations for all purpose would be Beast Within and Chaos Warp . After that they become more specific but can be cheaper in mana,
- Nature's Claim
- Domri's Ambush
- Force of Vigor
- Krosan Grip
- Hull Breach
- Broken Bond
- Reclamation Sage
This may seem counterintuitive, seen as you are planning on being the big creature deck that wants the board presence. But sometimes the opponents boards just need answering (Not to mention that you might end up getting a lot of elemental death triggers from Omnath). As such having 2 or 3 creature wraths might be worth trying. And having 2 or 3 artifact and enchantment wraths will be good to have access to aswell. Something you already have so I assume you already know.
Creature wraths to consider in green red include
- Blasphemous Act
- Chandra's Ignition
- Chain Reaction
- Savage Twister - This one is representative of X cost ones that are interesting to try as it gives you the oppertunity of clearing out small creatures while keeping yours alive if you would prefer. Another one that can also be used to finish of players is Rolling Earthquake
You already have the cards for mass removing artifacts and enchantments so I won't bother listing any more.
One of the most common recommendations I have to make to people about their deck is to up the amount of card draw or selection in their decks. There is no point in having sweet cards and synergies in here if we never get to see them! Normally I recommend having 10 ways of drawing cards in your deck, with some of them being repeating and some being one shot. At my count you currently have 7 (Or 8 if you count Praetor's Counsel which can do effectively a similar job), so you are nearly there but I would recommend adding a couple mr just to smooth out the deck running.
- Harmonize is the most obvious recommendation withit being notorious for its colour pie break with not haveing a restriction based on creatures or similar.
- Horn of Greed is universal, but we should be getting more value from it.
- Greater Good is amazing if you keep having big creatures to sacrifice. Thankfully due to our commander triggers, we do!
- Chandra, Flamecaller can cover multiple bases of what we need, it can be counted as both a wrath AND a card draw engine :) IT also even makes elementals (of note, they get exiled at end step instead of dieing so you won't normally get Omnath triggers. Sacrificing them to Greater Good though....... )
- Rishkar's Expertise can be great card draw as you don't need to take a full turn off to refuel, you still get to cast something that costs less, which could be that removal spell or something you needed!
These overview sections are recommendations for generic cards that could go in. From here on, we will be looking at more specific card options, and possible cuts from the existing deck
Now, again as the previous commentor mentioned, there are multiple ways you can take an Omnath deck. My take on them being
- RG Big thing Ramp. No specific synergies in mind except for incidental ones like, I need land to cast my big spells, and this card cards about land. Not a bad deck by any means, just less commander or theme focused.
- Elemental Tribal Ramp. This seems to be closer to what you are currently going for. Similar to the RG ramp deck, just with tribal synergies from elementals
- Landfall / Lands Matter. Here we are focusing on many landfall triggers, and keep cycling our lands round and round to get them. This deck will likke having access to things like Crucible of Worlds and many effects like Exploration
Here, i will suggest some cards for each of them and maybe later on if you want we could look more into one or a mix of these strategies.
- Ruric Thar, the Unbowed This card is very very powerful. Expecially as the decks around you get more and more powerful and wanting to do more combo and storm bsaed strategies.
- Gruul Ragebeast A good way of keeping the board under control when you play your 'large and incharge' creatures
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger We have mana, they don't. Enough said really. Just beware that with this creature, sometines the adage If you can't remove the problem, remove the player can be applied to just killing you.
Other than ones recommended here, perhaps a good idea would be to use Gatherer or mtg.wtf to find elementals in your colour. Or cards which reference elementals in your colours, the example in wtf would be this
- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame can rebuy your ramp spells and can make elementals that will die to trigger Omnath.
- Chandra, Awakened Inferno A wrath that doesn't kill elementals and can provide a reasonable clock on the game with her uptick.
- Omnath, Locus of Mana Store mana for a rainy day. Or for hitting your opponents upside the head with it. Both work.
- Parallel Lives Double the tokens, double the elementals, double the damage. We like.
- Tornado Elemental clears out any things like Dragons, or Flying Slivers or similar. Also good at picking of planeswalkers as it has sudo unblockable.
- Liege of the Tangle we can go REALLY all in on making all our lands elementals and meaning that if someone wraths us we can basically kill everyone from Omnath triggers
- Budoka Gardener Ramp early game, big guys late game.
This deck idea might have elements that are closer to a combo deck than the others, but will still mostly be a midrange deck.
- Perilous Forays With your commander out this card is bonkers. But if we are making other elemental tokens too then we can truly get going somewhere
- Crucible of Worlds , Ramunap Excavator , Life from the Loam Allow you to play the lands from your graveyard after we have sacrificed them for effects. Also makes always hitting your lands drops easier if you are playing and sacrificing a fetch land
- Exploration , Azusa, Lost but Seeking , Oracle of Mul Daya all ways to play more lands per turn
- Cavalier of Flame can be card draw and synergizes with lands in graveyard. As well as being an elemental!
- Scapeshift lots of triggers all at once
- Splendid Reclamation if we are sacrificing lands then this gets them all back. Very good after a scapeshift
- Amulet of Vigor makes some of our ramp a lot more effective, while at the same time providing a good combo with Perilous Forays and Omnath, Locus of Rage Of recommendation if you run a lot of land recursion effects then other lands that sacrifice themselves might be worth it. Like Wasteland Strip Mine etc
I won't re-list the cuts recommeneded in the ramp section. I will be evaluating cuts in the assumption that the deck is wanting to be a combination of an elementals ramp deck and a lands value deck. A lot of these recomendations for cuts will have very similar reasonings, which I will elaborate on first to be able to be brief later on. These recommendations will possibly sound rather brutal, however I find that it makes it a lot easier to have too many cards that are on the cutting block rather than not enough.
- Too Slow. If the card takes too many turns to start pulling its weight then it could be replaced with something that does what we need sooner. This is common in cards which have 'at the beginning of your upkeep' effects as they will normally have to wait an entire turn cycle to start doing something. Enters the battlefield triggers or similar things that have an effect the turn you play them are often preferred.
- Too expensive. This should be self explanatory. If the card costs too much mana, especially if the same effect can be achieved for less mana then it should be exmined.
- Doesn't do enough. While the effect might be interesting and maybe something we actually want in the deck, The card just doesn't pull its weight in whatever role it is supposed to be doing
- Doesn't contribute to our game plan This might be a good card, maybe even a great card in other decks. But perhaps the effect just isn't one we need in this deck
- Cytoplast Root-Kin Too slow. Doesn't contribute to our game plan.
- Dragonmaster Outcast Too slow. Doesn't do enough
- Grazing Gladehart Doesn't do enough. While we like landfall triggers. The life gain is small enough to be negligable unless we are massrecycling all lands from our yard multiple times.
- Magmatic Force Too Slow.
- Magmaw Doens't contribute to our game plan / Doesn't Do enough. We can run other sac outlets if we want ways to sacrifice our elementals
- Scute Mob Possibly too slow. But I love me a scute mob so I'm fine with this staying in :D
- Spawnwrithe Doesn't do enough. However this one can stay in if you have found that you realistically get to connect with it at least twice to have four of them
- Tendershoot Dryad Doesn't contribute to our game plan. Though it is very good at gummin gup the board
- Tyrant of Discord Doesn't do enough. However if you change to having some ways to knock your opponents off of lands then the chances of this hitting multiple nonlands go up and its value does too. However there are enough control players where the onlything this will do is destroy a land at random
- Undergrowth Champion Deosn't do enough. It's got all the right keywords but thats about it
- Retreat to Kazandu Doesn't do enough. THe landfall idea is good, but putting 1 counter an a guy once or so a turn isn't worth the slot really
- Sword of the Animist Too Slow. We want this effect, but we aren't attacking multiple times in one turn so there are better effects to get lands from our deck. We don't neccessarily even have than many small creatures to equip this too to get it active early enough for the ramp to be that useful as ramp
- Animist's Awakening As much as i want this spell to ever be good. It's just not really at all.
- Journey of Discovery Too slow. For this to be actual search out ramp you need to entwine it which is then 6 mana. Any of the 4 mana double basics would be better here. Or just Explore type effects that cantrip too.
Turns out there is only slightly too much Nissa. (And not enough Chandra ;) ) All of the Nissas' contribute to our gameplan well except for Nissa, Voice of Zendikar . The general rule of Planeswalkers in commander is to assume that you will only get two activations if you are lucky. So with this one you will at best buff your team a little. Consider Garruk Wildspeaker instead maybe?
Other random Card Recommendations
- Boundless Realms All the rest of our lands from our deck? Yes please
- Sylvan Awakening We do this, then we overrun and nobody will be expecting it
- Genesis Wave As previously mentioned. It's the better Animist's Awakening
- The Mending of Dominaria More mass land recursion.
Well I hope some of this helped at least a little :)
1 year ago
legendofa ya, I have had Young pyromancer in the deck before thinking the same thing. I just don't run enough spells. The spells I do have are just to try to protect my combo pieces. I have been play testing this alot. Talking with my friend after some games we thought that a humas's mana base may be good here and just take out the spells. I think it may be good and bring in Aether Vial as well. I'm not sure, have not had that much time to play test this week. I will be making changes depending on how i feel this is playing out. Also on a side note, the deck does feel fine, as I stated it can win on turn 4. the problem is that those hands are rare to get. I am also finding out what hands are better to keep and the Serum Visions do help a ton. I may make another version of this deck that has a Sneak Attack like effect with it, using Incandescent Soulstoke in it. To get Tyrant of Discord or Omnath, Locus of Rage into play with a Risen Reef and just go off. It would almost be an instant win at that point if i can sac them and use my effects to keep going ( getting a land triggers the Risen Reef witch gets another elemental and so on. Still working on it. I think in that deck young pyromancer can work because im trying to protect my lord and drop Big Omnath. So all a work in progress. Ty for the comment and like !
1 year ago
KayneMarco: Is the +1 button working? Your voted didn't seem to stick. Regardless, thanks for the +1! Glad you like the build!!!
dingusdingo: The reason I am not running counterspells here is because I don't see myself leaving much mana up for Instant speed effects. I would have to change the whole list quite a bit in order to do that. Although adding cards like Leyline of Anticipation , Vedalken Orrery , Alchemist's Refuge , Seedborn Muse and Emergence Zone is not out of the question, that is not what this deck is trying to do right now. The more I think about it, it might be cool to make this deck a Flash ETB Temur deck! I would likely have to add those four cards as well as 3-4 counterspells. Which counters would you run if you were me? This would change the deck quite a bit, so I have to be sure if I really want to do this... (R.I.P. Prophet of Kruphix )
Right now this is what changes I am looking to make. Please let me know what you think!
I will also be adding Cavalier of Thorns and Cavalier of Storms once added to Tappedout.
1 year ago
Everything else that is 4+ CMC you should highly consider cutting too. Your average CMC is extremely high at 4.16. Even with land tutor density and high land count, you're going to spend turns 1-4 doing absolutely nothing to advance your game plan. You should consider that not all elementals have the same usefulness for generating a win, so you need to up tutor density and draw effects to smooth out your games. You should also really consider a counterspell package since you have blue.
Myriad Landscape is a nice idea but slow. Cut. I don't like any of your ETB tapped lands, they cost you turns and don't generate enough advantage for it to be worthwhile. I'm not wild about the ravnica bouncelands either, but they can combo with the commander for card advantage, so I think they're worthwhile enough.
I'm not a fan of Bane of Progress or Avatar of Growth . You should run cheaper, guaranteed effects that do those things in those slots. Bane resets its own counters if you blink it, and Avatar helps your opponents as well, neither of them is a fantastic beater.
Greenwarden of Murasa has a nice effect, but you should slot Eternal Witness instead. 3 CMC cheaper so its easier to combo with repeatedly. Greenwarden is tribal and can beat, but anytime you blink it, it can't attack, and its 6 CMC for a recursion effect.
Tyrant of Discord is another similarly flashy card at too high a price. 7 CMC for an unreliable wipe is just not worthwhile. You need your boardwipes to be castable when you're in a crisis situation, not a cherry on top of strong board advantage for a win. Cut.
You run a very high density of creature copys. Spark Double is great because you can copy the commander and get extra draws and counters. Not a fan of Clever Impersonator or Progenitor Mimic . I would much rather see extra creature tutors in those slots to create a strong board state, these copies currently feel like "win more" creatures.
Not a fan of Blasphemous Act either. Run Pyroclasm or similar instead. Easier to cast as spot removal, and 2 damage is enough to take out the majority of threats or creature based ramp/draw that land on turns 1-4. It also doesn't wipe your own board when its cast later. Similarly, Decimate is slow to cast (4CMC sorcery) and can potentially backfire (you MUST choose a target for each, so you may have to choose one of your own). Replace with Naturalize or something similar.
There are certainly some other cards I'd like to see in this build too. Exploration Ghostly Flicker Displace Waterlogged Grove Fiery Islet Lotus Cobra and some counterspells. Also consider adding in some 1 drop mana producers even if they are outside tribal, Llanowar Elves Elvish Mystic Fyndhorn Elves Birds of Paradise Wild Growth Utopia Sprawl
1 year ago
Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded , Crazed Firecat , Desperate Gambit , Fickle Efreet , Goblin Bangchuckers , Goblin Kaboomist , Balduvian Horde , Desperate Ravings , Goblin Test Pilot , Grip of Chaos , Pillaging Horde , Possibility Storm , Omen Machine , Tyrant of Discord , Wild Evocation , Witch Hunt , Bribery , Insurrection , and maybe an Opt
1 year ago
You may want to consider Angelic Renewal in this deck. The way it works with Evoke, you pay the Evoke cost, and by sacrificing Renewal, you get to keep the creature, as well as the ETB when returns to the battlefield. I've run the interaction in Pauper decks, and it's hilarious to do things like turn-2 Renewal, turn-3 Mulldrifter to draw 4 and get a 2/2 flier. You can do similar things by exiling the creature before it's sacrificed with Parallax Wave , Deadeye Navigator , Roon of the Hidden Realm , and Endless Sands . If you like that plan, I would include AEthersnipe and Walker of the Grove , too.
I'm also a little confused as to why you're not running Scapeshift in a Gates deck, especially one full of Landfall creatures. Other good land-fetch cards include Skyshroud Claim , Hunting Wilds , Ranger's Path , Wood Elves , Krosan Verge , Nature's Lore , and Karametra, God of Harvests , all of which fetch your Shocklands.
Path of Ancestry is fantastic in tribal decks, and it is an absolute staple in 5-color tribal decks.
The final thing I would do is include some looting effects and self mill that won't put your Gates in the yard, since your commander wants expensive Elementals to reanimate. Kiora, Master of the Depths and Mulch could be good on the mill side, and Faithless Looting , Frantic Search , Greater Good (You can sac Evoked elementals in response to the trigger! Value!), Sultai Charm , and Chart a Course are all good for looting. Also, Surveil can help to fill the yard, as well. Try Notion Rain and Price of Fame (Good for killing Commanders!).
As for cuts, I would lose Brighthearth Banneret (land ramp is just better most of the time), Fertilid (7-mana Explosive Vegetation is bad, even if it has recursion), Rubblehulk (no ability, so it'll just get chumped for days. Run Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar if you want the land-count effect), and Tyrant of Discord (too expensive for a random effect).