Trial of Ambition
When Trial of Ambition enters the battlefield, target opponent sacrifices a creature.
When a Cartouche enters the battlefield under your control, return Trial of Ambition to its owner's hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Trial of Ambition Discussion
11 hours ago
dam some of these knights are sick as fk. As such I think this deck could go harder even. I don't like Metallic Mimic personally, especially with just 2, because then your likely to get it late when its terrible.
Also Bloodcrazed Paladin isn't very good imo, especially considering you don't have any removal to turn him on, so hes just suedo board wipe protection that doesn't work vs Settle the Wreckage. I would cut both of those guys and proly both Danitha Capashen, Paragon and jam 4 Radiant Destiny, it's so good here.
Maybe leave Aryel, Knight of Windgrace in the sideboard for grindy games, because I think Kwende, Pride of Femeref is the real fire here and should be jammed at 4 copies, as it turns on such a good attack for the 2 mana knights.
+4 radiant D.
I also don't like Seal Away here, as you can't clear blockers with it, and I don't like On Serra's Wings either, it adds some cool effects and evasion, but I think you would be better off with cheaper evasion, or a pump that added first strike so you could capitalize on kwende, I'm thinking 4x Cartouche of Solidarity, which if you wanted could open up 2xTrial of Ambition which is a pretty sick combo I've always wanted to find a home for. Also why the fk not, 1 Trial of Solidarity as well.
-2 seal away
-2 serra's wings
+2 trial Ambition
+1 trial solidarity
Finally Josu Vess, Lich Knight is kinda a pipe dream, though being a 4/5 menace for 4 is pretty hot, maybe you want to just drop him tho for another Ixalan's Binding, which would give you a pretty fair removal package overall.
Last thing, 2 Unclaimed Territory should be really good here, the toughest spell to cast being History of Benalia, but the land could help to cast something like a 1 or 2 of Benalish Marshal.
2 weeks ago
I really love the idea behind this deck! It reminds me of something I would have come up with when I first started playing (I mean this in a very positive way!), as it is both plausible and creative!
- Cut 3 Khenra Eternal: They don't really fit into your game plan.
- Add 1 Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs: This card can be powerful in this type of deck.
- Cut 3 Painted Bluffs, 2 Survivors' Encampment, 2 Island, and 2 Swamp: This with the additions below will help smooth out your mana.
- Add 3 Ifnir Deadlands, 4 Fetid Pools, and 4 Drowned Catacomb: Since you are trying to ramp into something big, you probably want to hit as many land drops as you can. Plus you are running a lot of cycling lands, so that'll help mitigate flood.
- Cut 2 Faith of the Devoted, 2 Bontu's Monument, and 2 Kefnet's Monument: These cards don't have enough synergy with your deck, and you could use these slots to be more focused.
- Add 1 Trespasser's Curse, 2-3 Dowsing Dagger , and 3-4 Ammit Eternal: Dowsing Dagger can be really cute with Trespasser's Curse! And Ammit Eternal will ensure your damage gets through
- Cut 3 Scribe of the Mindful, 2 Merciless Eternal, and 1 Seeker of Insight: these cards are less good now that you've gotten rid of faith - Seeker and the Eternal still have potential though, which is why I left them.
- Add more removal! Once you get your Torment of Scarabs online, this deck will really be able to punish any opponent that can't get more than one creature out at a time.
- Removal to consider: Fatal Push, Vraska's Contempt, Underhanded Designs, Trial of Ambition, Ravenous Chupacabra, Tetzimoc, Primal Death, Doomfall, Hour of Glory, Hostage Taker, Essence Extraction, Yahenni's Expertise or Walk the Plank
- Along with your new removal, you may want to play a copy of Dead Man's Chest because that's just cute. And I'm sure this goes without saying, but this deck would also like 2 The Scarab God
- You can easily get the city's blessing with this deck with all of the enchantments that you have, so playing Kumena's Awakening and Vona's Hunger would likely be good. Along the same route, Twilight Prophet would be great too
At this point, I'm sure you're getting tired of reading, but before you go, I will suggest one more thing: either add green or cut blue for green. This allows you to ramp with cards like Spring and Thunderherd Migration, which will power out your big cards earlier!
Hopefully this was at least somewhat helpful. Feel free to reach out with your thoughts on my suggestions. Excited to see how you change it up. Please keep me updated on the results.
1 month ago
Abzan is not the way to go, I think. We really need access to counterspells to deal with sweepers.
I could see a case for Bant, using Squire's Devotion as our lifelink aura. This also gives us access to Adanto Vanguard as a virtual 2-mana Bogle; we're way worse against Moment of Craving, Unsummon, and Vraska's Contempt but that may be a worthwhile risk for getting on board so much faster. I'm not even sure if we'd want to bother with Sram, to be honest; it dies to virtually any removal in the game and our opponent will be happy to find targets for their Fatal Pushes and Magma Sprays.
The main downside of Bant is that it loses Trial of Ambition, which is a seriously fantastic card. Getting to cast and re-cast Trials is a huge advantage to Black, plus you have access to better removal if you decide to raise the budget.
Still, it might be worth testing this other build. Any Simic-base color combination could reasonably run Bogles at the moment.
2 months ago
2 months ago
3 months ago
Whoah, I didn't even consider Dire Fleet Poisoner, I'll try it, Trial of Ambition only has one use in here, and the Poisoner will have at least two. Never stop improving, that's my MTG motto, I intend to re-Tool it as much as possible, ha.
Also, shawnledoux I think I will keep the Diplomacy in, it just tests really well late game (when I need more cards). I do intend to buy 2 more Pushes so I'll give that a shot.
3 months ago
I like Trial of Ambition, but I think that I would replace those with Dire Fleet Poisoner. The instant-speed removal is so good, and you get a 2/2 for 2 with flash and deathtouch! It doesn't really matter if you lack other pirates to target with the enter-the-battlefield trigger, it's still a 2/2 for 2 with flash and deathtouch! That's instant speed removal!
I like the retooling of the deck. Nice job!