|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Trial of Ambition
When Trial of Ambition enters the battlefield, target opponent sacrifices a creature.
When a Cartouche enters the battlefield under your control, return Trial of Ambition to its owner's hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Trial of Ambition Discussion
3 weeks ago
This deck Makes it really fun to watch the person sitting across from you have a complete meltdown because they can’t deal with your creatures... saving the Essence Scatters for potential creature threats and mowing over the smaller ones is more than satisfying. Opponent has hexproof or indestructible? GTFO, Trial of Ambition handles it with the amount of car touches constantly in your hand. I’ve been playing this for a minute and I made one slight change, I dropped to 24 lands, cutting one Hashep Oasis and also cut one Cartouche of Ambition to the sideboard and removed a Crook of Condemnation, and added a Jade Guardian and a single Scaled Behemoth simply because I wasn’t hitting creatures as consistently as I wanted to. I also cut one Unsummon and the fourth Negate from the sideboard and added two Yahenni's Expertise to deal with go wide strategies like vampires, Merfolk, tokens, etc.Thumbs up on the build!
3 weeks ago
I use Trial of Knowledge to draw Cartouche's for Trial of Ambition and Hexproof creatures and remove any lands when I have 4-5 in play for card advantage. It works like a charm! I just used it to discard a Vine Mare after playing The Eldest Reborn earlier to revive it haha
My only issue is getting the right colors as it uses 3 different ones... I tried to make it 2 color but that just doesn't work :O
3 weeks ago
Yep, I've been playing this on MTGO ("Just for Fun" room) for a few months now with various tweaks. It's not going to be Tier 1 or anything but it does pretty well and is awfully fun. I can't stress how big of an upgrade Vine Mare was, though. The deck is so much better with it as our centerpiece.
Glad you like the deck!
I've found there to be enough targets that I'm never unhappy with Negate. Virtually every deck runs some number of important noncreature spells and I like to be ready for them. It's possible that Syncopate is a better option in this slot but we're not a true Control deck so I don't want to have to leave too much mana open.
The Eldest Reborn is an interesting thought. Rise from the Grave would likely be better for us (Liliana, Death's Majesty does this effect best, she'd just explode the budget). We already have Trial of Ambition as our edict effect and we really can't afford to wait 2 turns to get a Bogle back, if that's what we're doing with 5 mana. With 12 cards in our deck that do literally nothing until we get a Bogle down, speed is our priority. That said, I'd rather just double-down on the counterspells to force a Bogle through since we're already in Blue.
I tried Trial of Knowledge way back when I was first putting this deck together and I really didn't have much success with it. It's just too darn clunky, plus it's hard to make room for card advantage without going down something important like our control suite or auras. Opt is unassuming but it's felt like the right balance between card filtering and efficiency for our purposes. That said, Anticipate is back in the format and I haven't given it a try yet so maybe that would be better. Either way, it's very important to filter at instant speed so we can keep up our countermagic.
In any case, good luck with your brewing! Let me know if you find a recombination that hums.
2 months ago
3 months ago
dam some of these knights are sick as fk. As such I think this deck could go harder even. I don't like Metallic Mimic personally, especially with just 2, because then your likely to get it late when its terrible.
Also Bloodcrazed Paladin isn't very good imo, especially considering you don't have any removal to turn him on, so hes just suedo board wipe protection that doesn't work vs Settle the Wreckage. I would cut both of those guys and proly both Danitha Capashen, Paragon and jam 4 Radiant Destiny, it's so good here.
Maybe leave Aryel, Knight of Windgrace in the sideboard for grindy games, because I think Kwende, Pride of Femeref is the real fire here and should be jammed at 4 copies, as it turns on such a good attack for the 2 mana knights.
+4 radiant D.
I also don't like Seal Away here, as you can't clear blockers with it, and I don't like On Serra's Wings either, it adds some cool effects and evasion, but I think you would be better off with cheaper evasion, or a pump that added first strike so you could capitalize on kwende, I'm thinking 4x Cartouche of Solidarity, which if you wanted could open up 2xTrial of Ambition which is a pretty sick combo I've always wanted to find a home for. Also why the fk not, 1 Trial of Solidarity as well.
-2 seal away
-2 serra's wings
+2 trial Ambition
+1 trial solidarity
Finally Josu Vess, Lich Knight is kinda a pipe dream, though being a 4/5 menace for 4 is pretty hot, maybe you want to just drop him tho for another Ixalan's Binding, which would give you a pretty fair removal package overall.
Last thing, 2 Unclaimed Territory should be really good here, the toughest spell to cast being History of Benalia, but the land could help to cast something like a 1 or 2 of Benalish Marshal.
4 months ago
I really love the idea behind this deck! It reminds me of something I would have come up with when I first started playing (I mean this in a very positive way!), as it is both plausible and creative!
- Cut 3 Khenra Eternal: They don't really fit into your game plan.
- Add 1 Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs: This card can be powerful in this type of deck.
- Cut 3 Painted Bluffs, 2 Survivors' Encampment, 2 Island, and 2 Swamp: This with the additions below will help smooth out your mana.
- Add 3 Ifnir Deadlands, 4 Fetid Pools, and 4 Drowned Catacomb: Since you are trying to ramp into something big, you probably want to hit as many land drops as you can. Plus you are running a lot of cycling lands, so that'll help mitigate flood.
- Cut 2 Faith of the Devoted, 2 Bontu's Monument, and 2 Kefnet's Monument: These cards don't have enough synergy with your deck, and you could use these slots to be more focused.
- Add 1 Trespasser's Curse, 2-3 Dowsing Dagger , and 3-4 Ammit Eternal: Dowsing Dagger can be really cute with Trespasser's Curse! And Ammit Eternal will ensure your damage gets through
- Cut 3 Scribe of the Mindful, 2 Merciless Eternal, and 1 Seeker of Insight: these cards are less good now that you've gotten rid of faith - Seeker and the Eternal still have potential though, which is why I left them.
- Add more removal! Once you get your Torment of Scarabs online, this deck will really be able to punish any opponent that can't get more than one creature out at a time.
- Removal to consider: Fatal Push, Vraska's Contempt, Underhanded Designs, Trial of Ambition, Ravenous Chupacabra, Tetzimoc, Primal Death, Doomfall, Hour of Glory, Hostage Taker, Essence Extraction, Yahenni's Expertise or Walk the Plank
- Along with your new removal, you may want to play a copy of Dead Man's Chest because that's just cute. And I'm sure this goes without saying, but this deck would also like 2 The Scarab God
- You can easily get the city's blessing with this deck with all of the enchantments that you have, so playing Kumena's Awakening and Vona's Hunger would likely be good. Along the same route, Twilight Prophet would be great too
At this point, I'm sure you're getting tired of reading, but before you go, I will suggest one more thing: either add green or cut blue for green. This allows you to ramp with cards like Spring and Thunderherd Migration, which will power out your big cards earlier!
Hopefully this was at least somewhat helpful. Feel free to reach out with your thoughts on my suggestions. Excited to see how you change it up. Please keep me updated on the results.
5 months ago
Abzan is not the way to go, I think. We really need access to counterspells to deal with sweepers.
I could see a case for Bant, using Squire's Devotion as our lifelink aura. This also gives us access to Adanto Vanguard as a virtual 2-mana Bogle; we're way worse against Moment of Craving, Unsummon, and Vraska's Contempt but that may be a worthwhile risk for getting on board so much faster. I'm not even sure if we'd want to bother with Sram, to be honest; it dies to virtually any removal in the game and our opponent will be happy to find targets for their Fatal Pushes and Magma Sprays.
The main downside of Bant is that it loses Trial of Ambition, which is a seriously fantastic card. Getting to cast and re-cast Trials is a huge advantage to Black, plus you have access to better removal if you decide to raise the budget.
Still, it might be worth testing this other build. Any Simic-base color combination could reasonably run Bogles at the moment.