|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Starter 1999 (S99)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creatures you control get +0/+3 until end of turn.
5 months ago
You should check out my deck Testudo Tactic Holy Cadre. I think you're missing more High Alert in your deck, I would recommend more of those without solely relying upon Arcades, the Strategist . I also recommend Dive Down and Aegis of the Heavens instead of Shield Wall and Steadfastness and Bar the Door .
10 months ago
Creature pump/value: Cloudstone Curio and Panharmonicon are both broken with Arcades. Serra's Blessing --> Brave the Sands: strictly better! Spidersilk Armor is great against heavy flying decks (and will rarely be a removal target because it is so unassuming)
Ramp: Azorius Signet, Simic Signet and Selesnya Signet should all be run; they allow for a turn 3 Arcades. Thought Vessel (came in Meren) lets you keep your excessive draws and Mind Stone replaces itself if no longer needed. They also fit the bill of a 2 drop ramp. Sylvan Caryatid!
Target/mass removal: Dusk, Solar Tide, and Slaughter the Strong, will all be one sided wipes for you! Cyclonic Rift is worth the price tag; it will go in every blue deck. Consider mainboarding Path to Exile and Swords to Plowshares. Return to Dust is another strong card.
Land: Prairie Stream, Irrigated Farmland, Scattered Groves, Reliquary Tower, the temples (Temple of Mystery), bounce lands (Simic Growth Chamber), and pain lands (Adarkar Wastes) are all worth considering. Real solid base though!
The counterspell suite is great in one on one games but in multiplayer, it is rarely a good trade. I would cut down to two or three. For efficiency Swan Song is a powerhouse; your Disallow exemplifies the flat out "no"; Insidious Will is wildly versatile and can win you the game.
Alexi's Cloak, Alpha Authority, Canopy Cover, Diplomatic Immunity, and Shielding Plax could be swapped out for repeatable protection (the equipments above) or effects that not only protect your whole board but also abuse ETB abilities (I cast Damnation, you cast Ghostway. I cry because you have your whole board and drew 5 cards).
Some other cuts that could be made for new stuff would include any of the walls that are just big dumb beaters like Glacial Wall.
1 year ago
I've done my research in form of a list in my deck's description here: Impenetrable Shield. My deck has a little lower mana curve but works very similarly to yours :)
Also what are your thoughts on Wall of Shards and Wall of Mulch? I play both in mine deck one as a strong beater with little downside and the other as steady card draw for each turn with Wall of Kelp but it sometimes works as combo extender or emergency draw in case someone tries to exile my defenders or take control of them.
And finally I'd consider swapping less optimal cards like Remove Soul and Steadfastness for Heroic Intervention and Lightning Greaves because Arcades is the most important card in the deck and should be protected by any means
1 year ago
You are all right with 2 cmc I was somehow focused on Drift of Phantasms, I need to reconsider all tutors you mentioned.
Vlasiax Thank you but I think I'm good for now with ramp. But I'll keep them in mind! Beastmaster Ascension is also a good suggestion, but I think it won't survive long enough since our playgrup is very anti-enchantment, that's the reason I dont run much and it would have to survive 2-3 turns on average to give a bonus.
HobbyGamer007Absolutely no problems, comments with good suggestions are always welcome! You are more than right with Trickbind. I overlooked it's benefits over Stifle and I'd probably include it in a future update, but I don't know if I part from Disallow. Until now Arcades didn't draw as much hate as other commanders but the threat is growing. Command Beacon spiked like crazy and I just don't want to buy it for this reason. I hope for a reprint in upcoming Commander 2018. The other suggestions are not bad either but I may go with Yavimaya Hollow since land destruction is not a big deal in our playgroup, yet.
Mitrian Thank you for your suggestions. Just about two days ago I've seen a lifegain Arcades on here and I suggested him to use Trostani, Selesnya's Voice since I run her as a commander. Nonetheless I think she could be extremely hard to cast in a 3 color deck for . Also It would draw my deck in another direction and I already have a lifegain deck. As I said earlier, don't underestimate the cards which pump toughness, they win games and since it's a beatdown deck it's not important if the are at sorcery speed (besides only Steadfastness is a sorcery). But your deck sounds very fun to play and you have a lot of good synergies. I'd be more than interested to see your full decklist! Also I'm interested if you have had any issues in casting Trostani and how the overall performance of the deck is and.
1 year ago
HobbyGamer007 Thank you for your time and effort, i'll go through every card now.
- Woolly Razorback: I know, I usually had it in here as another Plan B if Arcades gets too much hate but it's proven itself worthless and it will be exchanged.
- Counter: I know they are not the best and I'll replace them with some of you suggestions maybe, also probably Cyclonic Rift and Stifle
- Cultivate will be replaced with Farseek and i can't part with my japanese Skyshroud Claim i pulled in a Battlebond booster while I was in Tokyo. I know it's not the fastest but I also like Lands more than mana dorks because creatures die a lot faster in ouf group.
- Nature's Claim is a great card and it will replace Disenchant
- Don't underestimate Shield Wall and Steadfastness (the other mentioned cards are way worse). Normally I have 5-6 defender on the battlefield with an avg. toughness of 5, that's 25/30 strenght + one of the instants its 35-45 strenght which is normally enough to kill an opponent. Those cards often gave me the 1-2 extra damage I needed to kill.
- Disallow I like it because it gives versatility, but could be replaced with Stifle
- Dispel is very narrow and wasn't very usefull, could also be replaced
- Reality Shift is nice, probably switch Pongify for it
- Dorks: as I said, I don't really like dorks, maybe Noble Hierarch and/or Birds of Paradise will find a slot some day
- Signets are great to get the commander faster, depending on where I want to go with it
- Muddle the Mixture I don't really have any crucial 3 cmc cards in the deck yet
- Mystical Tutor great and could search Tower Defense for example but I don't think it is mach needed yet
- Sylvan Library and Mirri's Guile are very nice I look if I can get my hands one one, but without lifegain I prefer Mirri's Guile
For the lands, they are very good and I mentioned a lot of them under the "Fast Mana Base" tab. But I initially tried to keep the deck on a budget also because I think a lot of people following the deck will do. Nonetheless I increasingly wish for cards like Strip Mine in my deck. So I'll probably add one or two in the future. Also I'd probably add Adarkar Wastes and Brushland.
Thank you again for your suggestions and I'm happy that you took the time to comment on my deck to show me good improvements for my existing cards!
1 year ago
Sure thing. Sorry that took a while:
- Woolly Razorback: too expensive, not good
- Hindering Light: not good
- Remove Soul: not good
- Render Silent: too expensive, hard to cast
- Rewind: you don't wanna leave 4 mana open
- Chromatic Lantern: fixes all your mana, so it will be destroyed right away
- Cultivate: not good
- Skyshroud Claim: too late
- Condemn: not good
- Disenchant: claim is better
- Shield Wall: calculate mana cost/toughness boost. a 2 toughness per mana boost is good, anything wose should just stick or do something(like Call to Glory or Glorious Anthem, and even these are kind of bad.)
- Steadfastness: see shield wall
- Disallow: trickbind is better imho
- Pongify: leaves a 3/3
- Mana Leak: can be useless
- Dispel : very narrow for a deck like yours. I'd prefer Autumn's Veil or Heroic Intervention. adding the latter.
- Reality Shift: exile is awesome
- Noble Hierarch: mana dorks
- Elvish Mystic
- Llanowar Elves
- Fyndhorn Elves
- Arbor Elf
- Birds of Paradise
- Wild Growth
- Selesnya Signet: mana rocks
- Azorius Signet
- Simic Signet
- Mystical Tutor: finds everything
- Nature's Claim
- Echoing Truth
- Muddle the Mixture: finds a lot of really crucial cards and doubles down as an emergency counter
- Sylvan Library: too good not to run, even without paying life, fetches make this great. maybe also consider Mirri's Guile
Mana base(33 is enough at this average cmc):
- Tropical Island
- Arid Mesa
- Flooded Strand
- Marsh Flats
- Misty Rainforest
- Polluted Delta
- Scalding Tarn
- Verdant Catacombs
- Windswept Heath
- Wooded Foothills
- Horizon Canopy
- Reflecting Pool
- Adarkar Wastes
- Yavimaya Coast
- Ancient Tomb
- Nimbus Maze
- Strip Mine: Maze of Ith so you always wanna have one of these four sooner or later during a game.
- Ghost Quarter
- Tectonic Edge
- 3 Forest
- 3 Plains
- 4 Island
That's what I'd do and then playtest it and go tweaking. Hope that helps and also that it wasn't too brutal. For real tweaking please add a list of decks you play against or how a normal game looks like(amount of combo decks, creature decks, control decks per game). You do run lot's of creature spot removal, but I let that in, since you might need it.
1 year ago
Great deck and really cool description :)
1 year ago
I didn't know you were going down the "janky combo" road so now the deck makes a lot more sense!
You seem to have included everything except cards that buff up those Walls..
And I think you should hang onto those Counterspells...Arcades always has a target on that big old Elder Dragon butt of his - I'm running 12 Counters in my Wall deck to protect him and may yet add more!
No data for this card yet.