|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Distribute two -1/-1 counters among one or two target creatures.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Splendid Agony Discussion
1 day ago
I get why you want to use tokens to dump your counter on, but lets say you don't have a Nest of Scarabs on the field and a Winding Constrictor, your Exemplar of Strength and Channeler Initiate will die automatically. If you replace your Winding Constrictor with Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons, you'll be generating that extra token but itll be a deathtouch snek! Also Splendid Agony should probably be used to kill/ shrink your opponents creatures, not to be put on your own tokens.
1 day ago
Thanks ursamaul but the beatdown doesnt happen to my creatures. The first token generated obviously targets a creature from there a 1/1 token is produced. Moving forward. Any counters then target tokens. Which enables me to generate even more tokens. So by playing something like Splendid Agony on my opponents end step. Targeting a 1/1 token creature. I am generating 2 more tokens (so an extra 1) without summoning sickness ready for me to use. If constrictor is on the board. That simply gives me an extra 1/1 token creature. And then simply moving forward i can target existing token creatures if i want. With the counters to generate more.
4 weeks ago
Hey there! Awesome deck you have here! I have a few suggestions for you:
- Crocodile of the Crossing is one of the best cards a Hapatra deck can have, as it's often a 5/4 with haste if you have another creature to shrink (such as possibly the Channeler Initiate that you can use to cast it on turn 3). I'd strongly recommend running the full 4.
- Decimator Beetle is also a strong option, though 2 or 3 is probably plenty.
- Lethal Sting is a great removal spell here, being easier on your mana than Never, and also almost definitely stronger than Splendid Agony.
- Nest of Scarabs is an absolutely insane card in this deck, and I'd highly recommend adding 3 more copies.
As for cuts,
- Nissa, Vital Force and Liliana, Death's Majesty don't really do much in this deck; I'd take them out, good cards they may be.
- Pulse of Murasa doesn't really do all that much in your deck, and a card that gains you some life and replaces itself is rarely worth the slot.
- Plague Belcher is definitely worse than Ammit Eternal, especially as the Ammit's counters can fuel a near-endless supply of Nest of Scarabs tokens.
- Hapatra's Mark doesn't really seem to do it for me. It might be good as a 1- or 2-of, but 3 copies seems pretty excessive. It's a reactive spell in a deck that really wants to be proactive.
In any case, I hope this helps! Happy Magic-ing!
1 month ago
I've been brewing Hapatra and to me it looks like you're not focused on her enough.
An example is Archfiend of Ifnir; you have 6 lands, 1 creature (him), and no other cards which cycle. Its payoffs seem very minor to have a slot even though it does give out -1/-1 counters.
Why so much support for Titania? Your deck almost looks like you really wanted to play her, not Hapatra. Yes, you have tutors or you could draw her but if you never see her, a lot of it becomes even less optimal. Speaking of lands, 15/38 come in tapped, that's almost half, and would make any start slow I would think.
Just like Nest of Scarabs, Flourishing Defenses is a great Plan C in case Hapatra cannot stay on the board. Redundancy is consistency.
Interesting build, I'd like to hear how it plays/evolves as time goes on!
1 month ago
Lookin pretty good Cody! One thing I notice is your mana-curve is a bit off. Tappedout has the lovely bar graph to the right that shows the CMC (converted mana cost) of your cards and what colors they are. The reason mana curve is so important is to maximize your chances of playing your cheap cards early and more expensive cards later. Most decks want to play a 2 cmc on turn two, 3 cmc on turn three, and so forth, that's how you make steady progress and push your way to victory. Here's the tough part, you can notice that the 3 CMC slot is more than anything else, so you'll want to remove some 3 CMC cards and probably add a few more 1 or 2 CMC cards. It can be tough making cuts since obviously you like every card that you put in it. Here's my recommendations: remove 2 or maybe even 3 Cartouche of Ambition and cut 1 or 2 Splendid Agony and cut at least 1 or 2 Raise Dead and I don't see a single way for you to activate Archfiend of Ifnir's ability so I would either remove him or add cards that cycle or let you discard. Hapatra is amazing but remember she's legendary so you can only have one in play at a time, so maybe cut 1 of her if you need more room and Bone Picker is a really sweet card that I love but if you need to make room for other cards remember that he doesn't actually support your -1/-1 theme so you may be able to take out 1 or 2. As for cards I would add: I like Crocodile of the Crossing a lot, Exemplar of Strength, Festering Mummy, Obelisk Spider (even tho I said you need to cut down on 3 cmc lol), Plague Belcher may be better in a zombie deck but still great in this. If you find you're playing against someone with lots of removal Hapatra's Mark can be great and Larger Than Life works very well with Hapatra and Ammit Eternal. As for mana if you feel like you're not getting the right colors you can add Evolving Wilds as a cheap way of mana fixing. If you ever want to make this less budget I can help with that too. Hope that helps and good luck man!
1 month ago
This is good idea, I do have my own version, which combine with Liliana Planeswalker (Amon), that deck mostly consist effect of -1/-1 counter. Try Splendid Agony this way you can create at least 2 token and kill opponent monster, and also try Diabolic Tutor to search for Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons or Nest of Scarabs
1 month ago
I have a similar deck, with a few exceptions, might help? Melira, Sylvok Outcast and some infect cards (for the -1 counters) like Blight Mamba and Rot Wolf and even Hand of the Praetors. Spells like Shed Weakness help get rid of the -1 counters on your guys. Stinging Shot for counters, Splendid Agony all help to get those deathtouch snakes out for defence.
1 month ago
Nice deck! I'd like to give my 2 cents:
- Nest of Scarabs is the best card for this shell, by far.
- Ammit Eternal is the 2nd best card for this shell. =)
- Channeler Initiate is incredible. Ramp and -1/-1 enabler.
- Liliana, Death Wielder have a really high curve and it's not a 'game changing' like a 7-mana PW should be, IMHO. And eats 1/3 of your budget. The Scorpion God its better and cheaper (if you think this BG could be splashed for red, of course. If you do, have a look at Soul-Scar Mage)
- I think Cartouche of Ambition is underpowered. Compete with good 3-mana cards (such Ammit Eternal and Baleful Ammit) besides the fact that an aura always can be a target of a 2 for 1 (destroying your creature in response)
- As said before, Grind / Dust is way better than Splendid Agony besides the sorcery speed. And, with Channeler Initiate there is a chance to cast the Aftermath.
- Bontu's Monument is also underpowered. And only benefit 12 of 19 of your creatures
- Oracle's Vault seems powerful, although is slow. But, what do you plan to cast for free (the best upside of the card)? Besides the PW (1 card) nothing seems deserve to be cast "for free".
- 19 lands is quite a few. For your curve, and without ramps, at lest 22 lands is required