|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Fifth Dawn (5DN)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, Skullcage deals 2 damage to that player unless he or she has exactly three or exactly four cards in hand.
3 weeks ago
I did a gatherer search for black and blue cards that deal damage during each upkeep, and the results are interesting: Most of them dealt with hand size.
- Black Vise
- Ebony Owl Netsuke
- Iron Maiden
- Mask of Intolerance
- Misers' Cage
- Paupers' Cage
- The Rack
- Blood Clock
- Wheel of Torture
- Dark Suspicions
- Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage
- Price of Knowledge
- Stabwhisker the Odious
- Quest for the Nihil Stone
- Shrieking Affliction
There are only 2 unconditional damage artifacts:
And there were two other outliers:
4 months ago
- Playing a deck like this will inevitably lead to your opponent without much of a hand.
- This will leave the spells that damage your opponent for discarding mostly useless.
- At the same time, this means anything they happen to come across, they will play almost immediately, meaning your discard strategy won't be nearly as effective.
- The Rack type effects are best for this kind of deck.
- Examples of viable rack type cards are Paupers' Cage , Skullcage , and Bulwark .
- You are already using these in the forms of Lavaborn Muse and Hellfire Mongrel
- Black Vise type effects could be useful if you plan to force feed your opponent, but since you're making them discard, I don't see much point in that.
- If your goal is to discard, running mill cards isn't going to help your strategy. You're reducing the deck's consistency by including them.
- You're going to want to run Painful Quandary simply due to its taxing nature.
- Lastly, you have a lot of mana rocks, but no artifacts that serve any utility, and more questionably, no Chromatic Lantern . While you have some X and higher cost spells, all that mana could be a dead draw, especially considering you're running 37 lands already.
Add in something like Strionic Resonator , or anything else that can make use of your permanent's abilities.
Keep in mind you're using a strategy that is considered low-power unless it is executed in a specific way. I don't see you having very much fun with this deck as it currently is, but who knows, maybe you are.
6 months ago
Mill is pretty hard in EDH, since there's at least 40 more cards in libraries than normal and you usually have more than one opponent.
Also, most folks hate playing against mill, and then there's those folks who play "graveyard matters" decks like Meren, or Muldrotha that you end up helping.
I would honestly add red and run Nekusar, the Mindrazer as your commander. Almost the same concept, but it mills to your hand, then yard. Plus, you can run cards like Sire Of Insanity , Library of Leng , Black Vise , Skullcage , The Rack , Megrim and whatnot.
10 months ago
Damage to opponents from discard effects is good but what bout when they have no cards left to discard? Got a few ideas for ya to check out that will damage them for having an empty hand:
10 months ago
The deck won’t die or fizzle out if opponents run out of cards to discard if you run a couple more cards that hurt people for having a low hand count and some clone effects to copy cards like your Rackling, lavaborn muse and wheel of torture or these ideas to possibly add:
I would also move the Copy Enchantment from the maybe board to your main deck to copy your enchantments that do this same thing. Cards like the rack are after all how original discard decks won. Not by the discard itself but having no cards in hand. I would also add more tutors to the deck to get cards like those out quicker.
10 months ago
Have a few card ideas for ya to mull over:
10 months ago
Here’s a few ideas for you to kick around that would really add to the strong discard theme:
1 year ago
Some card ideas for ya since you have a strong discard theme going on as well. These ideas can also be used as another win con in case opponents remove your critters that poison them.
No data for this card yet.