|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
As an additional cost to play Shard Volley, sacrifice a land.
Shard Volley deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Shard Volley Discussion
1 week ago
Justification for some of my less intuitive choices:
- While Thunderous Wrath is a massive pain to have in your opening hand or a landless draw, it's also the greatest feeling ever to win a game out of nowhere by topdecking it (take that, Affinity) and it has the potential to decrease the number of burn spells necessary to kill the opponent by 1 (20 isn't divisible by 3, but 15 is), which can speed up the deck by an entire turn (sometimes more)
- Magma Jet was originally added because I owned it and it has the potential to tee-up a Thunderous Wrath topdeck, but, as I played with it, I noticed that it more frequently acted as a decent means of ensuring that I didn't draw land/spells that I didn't need (or, less often, did draw the land/spells that I did need), which was pretty nice, since I don't have any fetchlands to manafix me or thin lands out of my deck mid-game
- My girlfriend gave me the Incinerates at the last minute before the Grand Prix because the deck wasn't finished yet and I actually encountered situations where the mainboard Regenerate-hate legitimately helped me. I've kept it in because better burn spells cost money and there's a guy at my LGS who plays Ezuri, Renegade Leaders in his Elves deck, so there's that
- Shrine of Burning Rage is in here because I saw a decklist of some guy who was running Shrine of Burning Rages in his Burn deck that took him to the final match of a GP (I think he won it?), liked the reasoning that it gives Burn a way to stand a chance in games that somehow make it past turn 5. It's done quite well for me, outright winning me games several times and almost never sitting in hand or on board as a dead card (it's only a one-of because the LGS that I buy singles from only had one, but they gave it to me for free, so whatever)
- Battlefield Forge isn't great, I know, but it's also cheaper than Sacred Foundry and way cheaper than any Mountain-finding fetchlands so...
- Harsh Mentor is in here because I've noticed that a decent number of home-brews make use of a lot of activated abilities, so I figured I'd try to bring a little bit of hate for that (I'd love to hear other peoples' opinions on this one)
The direction I intend to take this deck as I obtain more money/cards:
- Mountain-finding fetchlands will be added once I have a reasonable, steady income (I'm a college student, not Bill Gates)
- I know that Thunderous Wrath should be a one-of at most, but it's also cheaper than the Goblin Guide that I hope to replace it with soon (I've got a couple of high-value Standard cards that I intend to trade in for more Guides like I did for the first one)
- If I get some fetchlands, then I'll probably be able to cut the Magma Jet
- Shrine of Burning Rage might become a two-of, I'm not sure yet
- The Sweltering Suns are in here because I already owned them and an Anger of the Gods, but I would like to eventually just use 3 copies of Anger of the Gods
- If I obtain the money for fetchlands and more shocklands, I might add green to this deck to replace the Smash to Smithereens with Destructive Revelrys to give me some measure of counter-play against Enchantments (I'm looking at you, Esper Zur)
- I'd like to ditch 1, maybe 2 Searing Blazes and maybe even a Shard Volley, but I don't really know what to switch in for them
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
I would like to second the Claim / Fame option. It returns any and ALL creatures you play. Vexing Devil combos with it very nicely. Also, if you're going to play black in burn then maybe look into Inquisition of Kozilek and Thoughtseize at least in the sideboard, and possibly in the mainboard.
Personally, I don't like your mana base. That is a lot of fetches that you really don't need. I'd probably go with no more than 8. 4 Bloodstained Mire and 4 of any other red fetch. Shocks could be two Blood Crypts, 4 Blackcleave Cliffs, and then 4 Mountains. That's 18 lands which is fine for your deck being that the highest CMC is 2 (excluding Rift Bolt being that you're going to suspend it).
Personally I'd say Rift Bolt is better than Shard Volley. Yes Shard Volley is instant speed, but if you are truly utilizing it to hit a creature to save yourself then you're probably already losing. I'd also lower Searing Blaze down to 2 because the landfall trigger won't always be hit, plus, you could replace it with a card with one mana. Upping Rift Bolt or adding in Claim / Fame. I would take out Gonti's Machinations altogether. I understand the use it has (as well as the reason for all of the fetches that I said didn't seem very good) but I believe you want to utilize the damage immediately in the form of other burn spells, rather than play something that takes a turn or two to activate.
Sideboard options. I would consider Shattering Spree and Shatterstorm. Great against affinity, and Shattering Spree's replicating get around a Chalice of the Void on one. Potentially Pithing Needle to hit planeswalkers, Lightning Storm in Ad Nauseam decks, and a lot of different cards in affinity as well as tron. Ratchet Bomb against Slippery Bogle decks because otherwise you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING against them. They can't be targeted, and they have plenty of lifegain enchantments. Plus, it can hit others things. Albeit a little slow, but still another board wipe if necessary. Graveyard hate I usually prefer Relic of Progenitus because it is a cantrip. Tormod's Crypt is definitely a great option though. OF course, also Thoughtseize and/or Inquisition of Kozilek if you don't feel like they have a place mainboard. Collective Brutality is a solid card. I'm not sure how viable it is since you probably don't want to discard your burn spells, but a solid consideration. Dismember should be considered as a lot of people are going to bring in their pro-white stuff against you. Kor Firewalker is a serious threat to you since none of the black cards you have can actually target it. Also, Dismember can help you get rid of really big stuff like Tasigur, the Golden Fang, Gurmag Angler, and can bring other stuff lower so you can bolt them like Primeval Titan and Death's Shadow. Lastly, Dragon's Claw for the mirror. Whoever gets theres onto the battlefield first usually wins.
2 weeks ago
I would consider running full playsets of Eidolon of the Great Revel and Vexing Devil, along with a couple Claim / Fame. You'd probably have to cut some combination of Gonti's Machinations and Shard Volley to do so.
3 weeks ago
When you play Mono Red Burn you end up having a lot of filler space available to customize your deck after adding playsets of Rift Bolt, Lightning Bolt, Goblin Guide, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Monastery Swiftspear, and Lava Spike. Along with that usually you run about 1 Shard Volley because drawing multiple can be devastating, and even 2 can be stretching it (but maybe play 2 if you think you can).
Some of the better options after that are Hellspark Elemental, Keldon Marauders, Vexing Devil, Searing Blaze, Grim Lavamancer, Shrine of Burning Rage, Exquisite Firecraft (which is a very underestimated card), Ball Lightning, and Magma Jet.
For the sideboard some good options include Blood Moon, Leyline of Punishment, Smash to Smithereens, Molten Rain, Curse of the Pierced Heart, Anger of the Gods, Dragon's Claw, Tormod's Crypt, and Relic of Progenitus.
Keep in mind that what cards I have recommended you do not have in paragraphs 2-4. Also you have stated that this indeed is a burn deck (like T4 kill you kind of thing) so I am treating it like that. And if this is the case you usually want to run 18 lands, maybe more (especially if you play with fetch lands). But if you are a more controlling deck then that is another story and I can go in-depth on the more controlling archetypes of Mono Red if you want.
Also Keldon Megaliths can be good, along with many other utility lands for red.
If you have any questions on the playability of any of the cards or different popular archetypes of Mono Red besides Burn then just leave a comment and I can go in-depth on it.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Thanks for your opinion. Well, sometime i play games longer than i would like to because i play nineteen lands without fetches and i have to wait for a good topdeck, so it could deserve a spot un the main.
1 month ago
I want to ask a similar question. I have a budget mono-R Burn I wanna be WB that i will probably try to upgrade into a Boros list in the future. Should i start replacing creatures with GG and Eidolon/Shrine or should i start from manabase and spells in order to cut Flames of the Blood Hand for Boros Charm and Magma Jet/Shard Volley for Lightning Helix?
Also, is it worth playing Searing Blaze without fetches (so dependant from land drops and at sorcery speed)? If not, can Searing Blood replace it? It misses Baral, Chief of Compliance, Spell Queller and Monastery Swiftspear if prowess is triggered, but it catches other Blaze's targets.
Any other suggestion is more than welcome.