|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters Edition IV (ME4)||Uncommon|
|Fifth Edition (5ED)||Uncommon|
|Fourth Edition (4ED)||Uncommon|
|4th Edition Foreign Black Border (4EDFBB)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Shapeshifter
As Shapeshifter enters the battlefield, choose a number between 0 and 7.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may choose a number between 0 and 7.
Shapeshifter's power is equal to the last chosen number and its toughness is equal to 7 minus that number.
2 years ago
"613.1. The values of an objects characteristics are determined by starting with the actual object. For a card, that means the values of the characteristics printed on that card. For a token or a copy of a spell or card, that means the values of the characteristics defined by the effect that created it. Then all applicable continuous effects are applied in a series of layers in the following order:"
"706.9d When applying a copy effect that doesnt copy a certain characteristic, retains an original value for a certain characteristic, or modifies the final value of a certain characteristic, any characteristic-defining ability (see rule 604.3) of the object being copied that defines that characteristic is not copied. If that characteristic is color, any color indicator (see rule 204) of that object is also not copied."
So for each one of them we start with the effect that created the token aka The Scarab God's ability. So Kruphix, God of Horizons would look like this. Angry Mob would be simply 4/4 Black Zombie with trample. Sakashima's Student 4/4 Black Zombie with student's copy ability if you choose to not copy anything, if you choose to copy it's copy except it is Ninja in addition to it's other creature types. Shapeshifter you keep choosing numbers but it has no longer it's CDA defining P/T. Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant may flip. It stays Black, if it flips.
2 years ago
If a copy effect specifically says it either doesn't copy or otherwise replaces a certain characteristic of the original then it will also ignore any characteristic-defining abilities (CDAs) related to that characteristic. Because the copy effect generated by The Scarab God says "except it's a 4/4 black Zombie", this means it will not copy any CDAs related to P/T, color, or creature subtype.
- Kruphix, God of Horizons will be a 4/4 black Legendary Enchantment Creature - Zombie who isn't a creature if you don't have enough devotion
- The 2nd ability of Angry Mob is a CDA for P/T, so it won't be copied. It will always be a 4/4
- If you choose to apply Sakashima's Student's own copy effect as it enters the battlefield then it will overwrite the results of the effect that created the token. It will be a copy of whatever you chose but also a Ninja
- You have the right idea about Shapeshifter. It will stay a 4/4 regardless of what number is chosen
- A copy of a flip-card will have all the rules text from both halves of the original, and a token is allowed to get the "flipped" status. The copy of Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant will be a 4/4 black Zombie while unflipped and a black enchantment while flipped
2 years ago
Let's say the Scarab God copies Kruphix, God of Horizons with insufficient devotion. What are the characteristics of the copy?
Does Angry Mob get his bottom ability copied?
If I copy Sakashima's Student, do I choose which copy effect takes precedence, or does Scarab God's "except" clause override copy clauses?
If I copy Shapeshifter will I choose a number every upkeep, but its power and toughness are unnaffected?
If I copy Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant, can it flip?
3 years ago
I've been doing a bit of research around Spy Kit seeing if what token "names" it can actually create. I was surprised to find it had a few! Such as the Crib Swap token has the same name as Shapeshifter and Urza's Factory and Assembly-Worker.
So the following questions all have to do with these "token names" and creature names, cause I'm not sure how many of these play out!
4) And finally, if I was to Donate any artifact creature or artifact token with Spy Kit equipped on it, then use Splinter on it. Does it exile ALL their creatures (non-legends) in the deck, hand and graveyard??
3 years ago
Tokens that magic can make with the same name as a card include Splinter, Assembly-Worker, Pack Rat, Illusion, Shapeshifter, whatever your opponent enchanted with Progenitor Mimic, and the tokens made by the Future Sight cycle of spellshapers (Llanowar Elves, Goldmeadow Harrier, Llanowar Elves, Cloud Sprite, Festering Goblin, Metallic Sliver, Spark Elemental).
In most cases though, the name of a token is not also the name of a card, and can't be named to Runed Halo since it specifically says to "name a card".
If you want to see this horse thoroughly beaten to death you can also look one of the We Have to Go Deeper articles where I talk about card names.
No data for this card yet.