Sakiko, Mother of Summer
Legendary Creature — Snake Shaman
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, add that much (Green) to your mana pool. This mana doesn't cause mana burn (which no longer exists). Until end of turn, this mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as phases end.
Printings View all
|Betrayers of Kamigawa (BOK)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Sakiko, Mother of Summer Discussion
2 weeks ago
- Card draw:
- Sylvan Library : Card draw.
- Elvish Visionary : Cheap, cantrip, shaman.
- Mosswort Bridge : Pseudo cantrip.
- Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip : Pseudo cantrip. Flip = better Gaea's Cradle.
- Blighted Woodland : Comes into play untapped. Ramp card mid-lategame.
- Path of Ancestry : Potential card filter.
- Strip Mine : Utility land.
- Gingerbread Cabin : Forest with minor upside. No reason not to play it in mono green.
- Fauna Shaman : Tutor, shaman.
- Noxious Revival : Manaless. Allows another shot for wincons.
- Scavenging Ooze : Manasink. graveyard disruption.
- Card draw:
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary : Card draw.
- Beast Whisperer : Green conditional card draw.
- Guardian Project : Green conditional card draw.
- Runic Armasaur : Card draw (meta dependent).
- Compost : Card draw (meta dependent).
- Sakura-Tribe Scout : Early game shaman. Mana acceleration.
- Genesis Wave : Pseudo card advantage.
- Arch of Orazca : Card draw.
- Win more:
- Myojin of Life's Web : Too expensive. Very likely that you do not have enough cards in hand to make this worthwhile lategame.
- Patron of the Orochi : Quest for Renewal is cheaper.
- Gigantomancer : Cute, but 8 mana is too much for this kind of effect.
- Archetype of Endurance : Win more card. No real synergy. Asceticism Is better (although also not recommended).
- Trolls of Tel-Jilad : This is a bad card.
- Soul of the Harvest : Beast Whisperer / Guardian Project, cheaper. Almost same effect.
- Sakiko, Mother of Summer : Too expensive. Doesn't do enough for mana cost.
- Sage of Ancient Lore Flip : Very likely that you do not have enough cards in hand to make this worthwhile mid-lategame.
- Wildheart Invoker : This is a bad card.
- Sakura-Tribe Springcaller : This is a bad card.
- Loaming Shaman : Not enough card draw that allows you to get your desired cards in you hand.
- Essence Warden : This is a bad card.
- Vines of Vastwood : Very situational card.
- Squall Line : Not very good card. Situational.
- Krosan Grip : Expensive situational removal.
- Gilded Lotus : Unnecessary ramp.
- Tranquil Grove : Unless your meta plays a lot of enchantments, not really necessary. Otherwise, recommmend Back to Nature instead.
- Beastmaster Ascension : Your creatures are not big enough for this to work consistently.
- Spidersilk Armor: No tutors, not enough card draw to obtain it. Unreliable flyer prevention. Silklash Spider Will hold off flyers with tutors.
Staple cards are cards I recommend obtaining and using, since they are almost always good cards to have in any green deck. The rest is up to preference and should be taken with a grain of salt. I hope I could be of some use to you.
2 months ago
I've run into the exact same problem as you described, admittedly (lack of creatures, or having too many, and then not having enough mana replenishers during the combo turn). However, I did some research online, and some people (including myself) have come up with quite intriguing solutions.
I think the most competitively viable solution would be this - (and yes, I also now agree that more colors may be both necessary and useful) - tutor for Selvala, Explorer Returned with the buffet of black tutors available, try to play targeting cantrips that give creatures haste (or any other good way of giving her haste works too), then focus on playing the targeting cantrips that untap stuff.
This solves the issue of not having enough mana, and works well because your opponents most likely will be unable to do much with all the cards you're putting in their hand, as you'll most likely win that turn. If you really wanted to be creative, you could play elements of Lantern Control in that deck to optimize your Selvala taps and plan on milling them out, which is great synergy.
Another possibility (this one was not my idea), (also yes, it sounds ridiculous, please bear with me) is - Arcane Tribal. Basically, Arcane is normally terrible. However, with the way the rules are currently built, there just so happens to be some insane interactions with Zada. Say you have, Tazri+Zada and a couple other creatures, and you play Ideas Unbound. Your opponents think "OK? So what?" Now imagine that you Splice on Hundred-Talon Strike. For 2 mana, you just drew 12 cards. If you tap Tazri for the Splice (whatever), target Zada, you will give all creatures the first strike - as well as draw 3 per creature. This can also be applied with other cards, like Desperate Ritual - (of course, there are other splice cards, some you want to target, some not, some you want to play first, some not).
The main issue with this idea is that it requires more mana at the beginning of the combo - and more importantly - lowers consistency. However, what's more epic than playing ARCANE TRIBAL in cEDH? It would also require a lot more skill to use, however, would totally catch people off guard.
One last idea I had (this one is especially half-baked) is Additional Combat Tribal. There happens to be one card, Seize the Day, which both targets a single creature, and gives additional combats (and even has flashback!). One could tutor for it with black, play a lot of creatures with keywords such as vigilance, flying, haste, etc. and simply beat face. Hard. You could even play untapping targeting cantrips and cards that give mana for combats, such as Neheb, the Eternal and Sakiko, Mother of Summer.
Thanks for reading. If either of these sound like good ideas, feel free to try them. Luckily, with 5 colors, there are many, many possibilities, so eventually only one needs to work well to matter.
10 months ago
Hey man, love your list!
I'm running a Reki myself and been having tons of fun with it. If I may just drop some suggestions here:
Honor-Worn Shaku , my god this over performs in many ways. It's no legendary but it works well with any legendary.
Sakiko, Mother of Summer This beast pumps out heavy mana in your second main phases and has great synergy with your Omnath, Locus of Mana . I'd switch her with Sashi, Daughter of Seshiro. You don't have that much snakes or shamans to make her that important imo.
The Great Henge Is jsut ONE of those cards..
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger Because salty tears taste best with Vorinclex on the field.
Nissa, Worldwaker just the +1 to untap FOUR FORESTS.. and let's not get started over the -7. There are many other planeswalker I run in my deck but this one definitely stands out for me.
Bow of Nylea has so much possibility's and potential in an entire EDH match, don't underestimate this card.
Hua Tuo, Honored Physician Helped me get some stuff out of the graveyard lategame. Pretty awesome.
1 year ago
You could add Sakiko, Mother of Summer and Mark of Sakiko To help with any ramp, even though you don't seem to need it. Thanks for giving me some ideas for my deck, I'm just not sure I want to focus on defender creatures.
1 year ago
Nice episode as always and always a joy to listen to in general, even Andy's boy made an appearance in the background :-). Since you run a bunch of X Hydra's in de the deck an extra "neat-move" could be Mark of Sakiko or Sakiko, Mother of Summer for even bigger hydras!
1 year ago
Brago, King Eternal - flickers our defenders drawing us a card for each one if arcades is out and also untapping them if you activated abilities or attacked
Edric, Spymaster of Trest - we will always have a few defenders out attacking and drawing a card for each one will ensure we keep a hand full of defenders to play
Eternal Witness - gives the deck a chance to recover from destruction and with the flicker effects in this deck it can be repeated
Sakashima the Impostor - strictly a copy of arcades, removes the legendary text on it so they can both exist on the field at the same time drawing us 2 cards per defender and allowing one of them to be destroyed and still have redundancy
Sakiko, Mother of Summer - whenever you cast this card it will be free after combat due to all of our attackers having 3+ toughness to attack with, if we deal 6 damage (extremely easy) then its free, any more damage than that sets up our main phase 2 so we can flood the board
Sakura-Tribe Elder - early game ramp, vital for this deck, you need your commander out by turn 3 at the latest
Temur Sabertooth - a great way to bounce creatures and i haven't tested it yet but i believe with cards like Sakashima the Impostor in play and concordant crossroads this could produce infinite mana and infinite draw
Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar - basically changes our commanders text to read, whenever a defender enters the battlefield, look at the top 3 cards of you library and pick the best one. this allows us to not stall when going for the win due to the crazy amount of cards your looking through (this card could be cut due to how long it can take when drawing a lot of cards, people don't like to see that happen)
Trophy Mage - with wild pair in the deck a lot of cards total 4 when u add the power and toughness, this is a 2/2 so it falls in that category// this card allows you to win 1 turn early with the wild pair method because you can grab thousand-year elixir, giving activated abilities haste and allowing you to untap a mana producer ( this is also a flex slot that im still testing out due to low synergy with the deck as a whole because its not a defender and im only running 1 3 cost artifact.)
2 years ago
Looks good, but Karakas and Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary are both banned in EDH. I'd suggest switching Rofellos for Omnath, Locus of Mana to help make the most of Sakiko, Mother of Summer and Shizuko, Caller of Autumn if you don't spend all of the mana generated by them
3 years ago
I have a Omnath-deck aswell, and this looks great, I'll save this for some inspiration when it's time to make my second Omnath deck (there are too many great cards for a deck like this that I am actually considering building two).I think you should SERIOUSLY consider putting Patron of the Orochi in your deck, I LOVE that card. Everytime I play it I have this really smug smile on my face 'cause it can be so disgusting if it isn't removed very quickly. It's basically a Seedborn Muse but cheaper (sure, not as good, but good enough). Observe that Patron of the Orochi untaps itself, therefore you can use it on each turn.I also love Sakiko, Mother of Summer, but I don't know if it'll fit in your deck, depending on how much mana you want.