As an additional cost to cast Ruthless Disposal, discard a card and sacrifice a creature.
Two target creatures get -13/-13 until end of turn.
Printings View all
|Eldritch Moon (EMN)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Ruthless Disposal Discussion
5 months ago
Suggestions for removal / maybeboard:
- Cadaver Imp
- Deathcurse Ogre
- Endless Cockroaches
- Garna, the Bloodflame
- Scuttling Doom Engine
- Tattered Mummy
- Torgaar, Famine Incarnate
- Aid the Fallen
- Ruthless Disposal
- Temple of the False God
- Bolt Bend
Suggestions for additions:
- Ashnod's Altar
- High Market
- Phyrexian Reclamation
- Sire Of Insanity
- Worldgorger Dragon
- Animate Dead
- Dance of the Dead
- Merciless Executioner
- Fleshbag Marauder
- Gonti, Lord of Luxury
- Rakdos Charm
Worldgorger Dragon + Animate Dead / Dance of the Dead forms an infinite loop that you can cancel at any time. The loop blinks all of your lands into exile temporarily, allowing you to tap them before they blink out. This can be used to create infinite mana. Worldgorger Dragon isn't a good card on it's own, but it combos well with Buried Alive and your Gravebreaker Lamia. Animate Dead and Dance of the Dead are great any time because they can target creatures in anyone's GY.
1 year ago
- 704.5f If a creature has toughness 0 or less, it's put into its owner's graveyard. Regeneration can't replace this event.
A creature with toughness of 0 or less is not destroyed. It is put into the graveyard as a state-based action and this triggers things that look for creatures "dying," but it is not destruction and will not trigger cards like Karmic Justice that look for creatures being destroyed. Destruction causes a creature to die, but not all forms of dying are destruction.
Creatures with indestructible can't be destroyed. Creatures with indestructible can be killed via cards like Ruthless Disposal , because it isn't destroying. It's an important distinction.
1 year ago
Ruthless Disposal will actually reduce it's toughness to 0 or less and SBA will destroy it. This is relevant if for example Atraxa's controller also controls Karmic Justice and their opponent casts Ruthless Disposal .
1 year ago
Linking all the cards in your question will help people to better answer it.
+1/+1 counters raise a creature's power and toughness for as long as the counter remains on the creature. In Atraxa's case, she would be a 5/5 for as long as she has the counter.
Ruthless Disposal gives a creature -13/-13. Unless a creature has 14 or more toughness, Ruthless Disposal will kill it. However, since you target two creatures with Ruthless Disposal , you don't have to choose Atraxa (unless you have no other options when you cast this spell). Ruthless Disposal is not a sweep effect.
If you're the one casting Ruthless Disposal , you will need to sacrifice a creature as part of the additional cost to cast it. If Atraxa is your only creature, you will have to sacrifice her, and her having a +1/+1 counter won't solve that.
1 year ago
I'm confused as to the exact question you want answered.
If an Atraxa with a +1/+1 counter (making her a 5/5) gets -13/-13 from Ruthless Disposal she will die.
If an Atraxa with a +1/+1 counter is sacrificed to use Ruthless Disposal she will die.
If the question is "will enough +1/+1 counters to make Atraxa a 14/14 cause her to not die from Ruthless Disposal then yes, she would live and keep the counters.
If I'm misinterpreting your question, please let me know.
1 year ago
Say I have Atraxa with a +1/+1 counter... Would using Ruthless Disposal kill her?
1 year ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
1 year ago
Thanks a lot ThallionDarkshine. As far as focus goes, it's pretty simple: I just want to have my graveyard be an extension of my hand and be able to play "answers" to pesky permanents. I'd rather not spend over $20 on a single card.
I chose to run 33 lands cuz I found myself "fetching" lands often and even more often with Muldrotha on the board. I don't cast her until my graveyard has a good amount of permanents in it anyway so I'm not worried about playing her asap. I do tend to cycle some lands for draw when the opportunity arises cuz I know I will play them later from the yard. Circuitous Route , Burnished Hart , Sakura-Tribe Elder , and Shefet Monitor all help with a bit of ramp.
I like the idea of Manglehorn replacing Acid Web Spider , and Noxious Dragon is merely a place holder as I found it in my bulk and threw it in. Both spider and dragon are mainly flying blockers with a lil bonus; but I do agree that they are mana spendy.
I did splash a bit of sacrificing in cuz why not? Caustic Caterpillar and Thrashing Brontodon (removal), Burnished Hart and Sakura-Tribe Elder (land), Scribe of the Mindful to get back some value instant/sorcery, and some more options. Plus you put Sylvok Lifestaff on a creature before you sac it for the proverbial icing. Sac outlets also include Bone Splinters , Ruthless Disposal , Victimize , Burnished Hart , Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and Whisper, Blood Liturgist . And the sacrificing trigger from Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip! Then turn around and cast those sacrificees from the yard which would trigger Desecrated Tomb for more sac fodder, chumps, or aerial assualt.
This was a bit winded but this is the jist of the deck. It's not a fast starter but chugs along just fine when it picks up momentum. I'm aware there are a few kinks to work out and thus the reason I called for help. I appreciate any and all feedback, so again.. thank you!