Play Panic only during combat before blockers are declared.
Target creature can't block this turn.
Draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.
Printings View all
|Masters Edition II (ME2)||Common|
|Fifth Edition (5ED)||Common|
|Ice Age (ICE)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Panic occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
2 months ago
Hey there, you've got a pretty good thing going on here, especially for a first deck. A lot more cohesive than my first EDH attempt many moons ago, which was a horrible mishmash of netdeck and "super secret tech" that in fact did not work as intended. Your secret sauce of mild pillow fort actually makes sense!
That said, here are a few pointers that should help you smooth out some rough edges:
- You should run all seven one-drop instant speed cantrips. They're just good, no matter your specific Feather game plan. You're missing Heal and Panic. They don't get you an instant card, but they're still good.
- Dowsing Dagger Flip is really good ramp that flips quite easily because Feather has wings, and you can make use of the big mana shot with your red-centric pump quite easily.
- I agree that Scroll of the Masters is very nice for ending people with voltron damage, I ran it until taking it out recently to focus more on the whole storming out angle. This is a bit of a sad truth, but decks tend to work better when you zoom in on an particular angle of attack. In your case, keep an eye on how the cast payoffs work. You run quite few rocks, so you won't have obscene mana to keep a crazy number of spells in constant circulation. The token guys are still gonna be good for gumming, but the various Guttersnipe variants might end up lacking. I expect Aetherflux Reservoir in particular to do little for you.
- Some voltron stuff I always thought could be good is O-Naginata and Leering Emblem.
- Emerge Unscathed does nothing for you as you don't care about its rebound. You should have enough repeatable protection stuff to not care about Deflecting Swat. Sheltering Light is nice as it's a form of protection while scrying for 1 mana. Faith's Shield is like a second Apostle's Blessing in that it can also protect a non-creature in a pinch. Not sure how vital that will be for you. My personal protection suite is the one-drop insta-flickers (Cloudshift, Ephemerate), two-drop EOT-flickers (Liberate, Long Road Home, Otherworldly Journey), a few colour protection options (Gods Willing, Apostle's Blessing, Faith's Shield, Shelter) and a bit of indestructibility (Ajani's Presence, Ephemeral Shields, Sheltering Light).
10 months ago
I would cut:
Insufficiently on theme - these are good cards but don´t take advantage of your commander or what you´re trying to do. Magnetic Theft , Comeuppance , Electrodominance , Lapse of Certainty , Panic , Return to Dust , Teferi's Protection , Temur Battle Rage , Titan's Strength , Wear , Acrobatic Maneuver , Wheel of Fortune , Blasphemous Act , Day of Judgment , Empty the Warrens , Faithless Looting , Gamble , Kari Zev's Expertise , Wrath of God ,
Paradox Engine was recently banned in commander.
Given that I cut more than the needed 16 I´ll point out a couple feather allstars you´re missing.
Aurelia's Fury - does so much. One damage to one of your creatures and you have repeatable tapping, removal, and combo protection. Intimidation Bolt - repeatable fog when targeting your own creature. Spawning Breath - this is your smothering tithe replacement, mana, creatures for Zada to target, and removal in a pinch all on an instant. Orim's Thunder - kicked is the best repeatable enchantment and artifact removal I´ve found.
11 months ago
Looks like a great start!
You're missing a few of the card-draw cards that really make this deck competitive. I'd recommend you add Renegade Tactics and Panic are the main ones you're missing, and the deck can't get enough of them. I even considered running Rile , but it's a bit risky.
I just wanted to make sure you knew that copied spells off of Zada won't trigger Prowess and other "Cast" triggers. They're still fine cards, but maybe not as effective as you maybe thought.
I see you're also playing Goblin Freerunner . Since Zada doubles up as an ally, I take advantage of that by also playing Akoum Flameseeker and Ondu Champion for some recurring fixing and trample-giving. They are pretty reliable with Zada.
It's not necessarily synergistic with Zada, but Rites of Initiation is an awesome finisher with all the card draw we do.
Here's a link to my list. I went with a more Goblin Tribal theme that has been shredding through opponents so far. I'd like to see what you think! Zada, Card Advantage Grinder
1 year ago
1 year ago
VaalVanir Panic work just fine for the deck because while it does require a combat phase, it can be used on ANYBODY'S combat phase. So it doesn't really matter. As long as it can be cast every turn it does its job. And if I was going to switch out Heal for anything than it would be Niveous Wisps , needing to tap your own creatures is kind of annoying tho. I believe it would be more likely for me to have BOTH of those cards in the future. but so far between the two, I've found them not all that different from eachother in usefullness. So I wouldn't fault anybody for using either. Unfortunately tho, switching it for a 2 mana draw spell is not worth it. The instant draw effect is nice, but it then also costs twice as much. So we can think about it as "Would you rather draw a card now, or draw 2 cards next turn. I personally would almost always go for two cards next turn. Especially when we are playing these draw spells on the enemy's turn more often than not, so it doesn't really matter when we draw the cards since there is a high chance we wouldn't be able to play the cards until our turn anyway.
And yes, having a more reliable way to get Zada, Hedron Grinder on the field would be nice, but adding a card that finds ONLY him is a bit much. Cards like Goblin Matron would be a lot more solid of a consideration if we had more goblin cards, like the Goblin Welder I am currently testing. But adding a card that works with only 1 of the 99 is doomed to fail, unless we can very easily find the other card (for example Magnetic Theft and Sunforger ) So if you so end up trying out Goblin Matron I suggest you go a little harder into the artifact support cards and add things like Goblin Welder as well, at the very least.
1 year ago
May I suggest switching out Panic for another 2 cast cost instant that draws you a card, I can't recall the names right now. And switching out Heal for, maybe, Niveous Wisps or, again, another 2 cast cost instant that draws you a card.
1 year ago
It's not a true hard counter, but have you considered Dash Hopes for your sideboard?
Also, if you want draw, red is better at cantripping, so maybe swap out Supernatural Stamina and Assault Strobe for something like Renegade Tactics ? Panic exists, if you want more than four copies of Tactics.
Also, great deck name!
1 year ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.