|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Vampire Assassin Ally
Whenever you gain life, Nirkana Assassin gains deathtouch until end of turn. (Any amount of damage it deals to a creature is enough to destroy it.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Nirkana Assassin Discussion
2 months ago
I was wondering, why in modern would you choose to take the ally route? i can imagine that there are some strickly better vampires that aren't ally's that would be better, for instance Nirkana Assassin vs Gifted Aetherborn
otherwise, the deck looks like fun!
4 months ago
1 year ago
IMHO Fragmentize is nice card but its real place is in sideboard.
1 year ago
I'd suggest Drana, Liberator of Malakir – will work fine with Lantern Scout. But if you want this deck still to be as budget as it is right now (since Drana, Liberator of Malakir can be quite expensive) you could try Makindi Patrol, Munda's Vanguard or Nirkana Assassin.
And I'd also add another copy of March from the Tomb
1 year ago
Congrats on making your first deck! Magic is awesome and I am sure that you will have a great time playing this game. The colors you are running are fine but you deck does not really have any synergy. The first thing I have to say about this deck as a experienced (not really) Magic Player is that I would suggest having more than just one card for every card. I know that the toolkit does not offer too many cards to make anything but what you have so far is certainly better than my first deck (5 color bad stuff). For example, Inventor's Apprentice does not have enough Artifacts to give him any real value. Also, Nirkana Assassin does not have enough things to give it deathtouch. I feel like you are going the right way with Sanguinary Mage andPyre Hound. You do have enough non-creature spells to make those cards very effective. I would recommend picking up some more copies of those cards and making a deck built around them. Good Luck!!!
1 year ago
Always Watching instead of Cathar's Shield and Ruinous Path for Murder are the obvious quick fixes. A few Shambling Vent amongst your lands would not hurt. Eerie Interlude could replace Silverstrike and March from the Tomb to increase your creature effect damage. You may also want to replace 2 Zulaport Cutthroat with Nirkana Assassin or Vampire Cutthroat
My version of this deck would be Accelerated B/W Life gain/drain in KLD. I prefer Retreat to Hagra to Retreat to Emeria in this deck. A few Panharmonicon could double up many of your creature effects.
1 year ago
Alright well mostly I'll be tearing into the assassin tribal because they're frankly not very effective (but it's your call to include them). There might actually be better assassins though.
- Agent of the Fates - how often are you able to trigger this guy's heroic?
- Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim - with your weenie list you're not likely to get very much life from saccing your dudes. so this relies on other life sources to get to more than 50 life (how often are you there?)
- Guardian of the Gateless - This is meta-dependent but in more competitive environments this would only be good against a token swarm & it is easily removed otherwise. If you consistently play weenie and token decks in your meta then this is fine (but I personally don't know any edh metas like that).
- Knights of the Black Rose - This is cute but there are way better options at 5cmc.
- Mer-Elk Nightblade - I don't see that there's actually that much +1/+1 counters in this deck.
- Nighthowler - This is a decent include, it just doesn't aid you in your strategy.
- Nirkana Assassin - Might as well be a vanilla creature here. Deathtouch 2/3 just isn't going to get you very far in EDH.
- Taurean Mauler - while this guy does get big, and he does count as an assassin, he's just going to a big beater and big beaters only go so far in EDH. It also doesn't really have "assassin" flavor.
- Unliving Psychopath - He's actually alright. But there are definitely stronger things you could include here (like Hero of Bladehold?
- Vizkopa Guildmage - I must be missing something here regarding how much life you get in this deck...I'm personally just not seeing it.
- Xathrid Slyblade - I get that this is an assassin, but she takes a lot of mana to use for not a whole lot of payoff.
- Ajani Vengeant - I think this guy plays well in duel commander but his utility sharply declines in multiplayer. There are better options for this slot I think.
- Bladed Pinions - Yeah, I get why this is in here. Flying for getting the monarchy. First strike for deathtouch + first strike. But it's still bad :p
- Sigil of Valor - if you can actually keep a big enough board to kill someone with commander damage with this then you're already winning. It's going to be rare that you don't just want to attack with everyone anyway.
- Tenza, Godo's Maul - bad.
- Urza's Incubator - If you branch out to different tribes (which I think you should) this will lose its value.
- Ghostly Prison - I think you should either go pillowfort/control or weenie/aggro/removal and not mix strategies. This is alright but it again depends on your meta having a lot of token/weenie decks.
- Underworld Dreams - the payoff for the BBB mana cost is not enough. I would look at this as a 5cmc enchantment for your deck because of its cost and it just doesn't have enough of an impact. It doesn't help your strategy either.
1 year ago
I just really got into magic, though I played for the first time in elementary school and I've had two decks for years. I bought a Shadows on Innistrad deckbuilders toolkit as a friend advised me to, and I built the following deck:
Black/White (And a few colorless decklist)
Creatures: (16 Total)-Vampire Envoy X2-Stone Haven Medic X2-Zulaport Cutthroat X2-Kor Sky Climber X1-Kor Scythemaster X1-Sengir Vampire X1-Malakir Familiar X1-Nirkana Assassin X1-Kozilek's Channeler X1-Farbog Revenant X1-Bane of Bala Ged X1-Serra Angel X1-Aegis Angel X1
I'm going to my local gamestore tomorrow to pick up cards, and get advice from people there. If there is anything that would improve my deck, please help me out and tell me. I know I need to build more consistency, and I probably need to take out some cards, but which? The idea behind this deck was to generate and steal health while going for the kill with creatures. I'm not trying to win anything big, just have a decent time at FNM and have fun. (Though winning will certainly never be a bad thing)