(Black), Sacrifice Necrogen Spellbomb: Target player discards a card.
(1), Sacrifice Necrogen Spellbomb: Draw a card.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Necrogen Spellbomb Discussion
1 month ago
Thanks for your comment OLucas, I did a lot of testing and you are right, I will cut the Urborgs down a bit. I got carried away with the concept of swampwalk for Death's Shadow, but that’s a rare occurrence and I can’t force it by running more Urborgs. Also I had completely forgotten about Necrogen Spellbomb, that looks like a good option for this list, I’ll consider it!
1 month ago
At the moment, your Urborgs only help your opponent. Not only that but if you 4 copies there's the risk of awkward two-landers that are effectively one-landers. If you end up with fetches or lands that don't add black, 1 or 2 are justified.
1 month ago
Ah, I have piloted a mono-black discard deck for quite the number of years. I have Chainer, Dementia Master at the helm myself, as he is a rather powerful card when everyone's hands are empty, thus he reigns unanswered. Therefrom, a great amount of methods may be used to win.
Tinybones is less of a finisher itself, more so a value engine. As such, I would recommend possessing a lower curve to take advantage of the card draw and more potent finishers within the deck to hent for victory. Also, having card draw outside of the commander would grant a better backup plan. A discard deck's goal is to empty each opponent's hand and win by going unthreatened. If no players have cards to discard, Tinybones cannot provide draw.
The changes I would make are more instants so you kill things once they resolve as opposed to waiting a full turn, swifter discard in the early game to make your commander more effective, stronger finishers for the sake of ending the game betime, and just cutting some cards.
So, first, there are some things I would remove.
- Murderous Compulsion may go with the discard theme, but it's conditional removal at sorcery-speed.
- Bad Deal is ironically a bad deal, as it is six mana for two cards gone.
- Assassin's Strike is just egregious. A six-mana sorcery to kill one thing and they discard but one card. Begone.
- Unnerve is fine but not great. Being a one time effect at four mana, I dislike it, though Xantcha is a great character in the art.
- Haunting Hymn is six mana, which is far too late for discard effects to be effective. You want discard early, as it makes it far more difficult for decks to catch their footing.
- I have the same reason for Tasigur's Cruelty.
- Cabal Conditioning has an identical reason.
- I have a shortlist for this category, being creatures without long-game value; Burglar Rat, Liliana's Reaver, and Banshee of the Dread Choir have discard stapled to them, but don't do much else whilst lacking much in terms of evasion for Larceny.
- Scythe Specter is slow and other cards just do its job better, and Herald of Anguish is slow and lacks fodder for its second ability.
- Necrogen Spellbomb is just crap. Two mana for one card from a single player's hand is awful. Don't play this.
- Awaken the Erstwhile neglects the game plan of having more cards than your opponents whilst lacking the option of going back. I'd just add a stronger finisher.
Alright. With that out of the way, I may suggest other cards.
Upon card draw, you have none outside of the Trinket Thief, Rankle, and Geth's Grimoire. I'd add any of Phyrexian Arena, Sign in Blood, Underworld Connections, and Dread Presence. Necropotence may seem as if it negates the strategy, but it is always worth it.
Lightning Greaves just seem great.
Now, for the finishers I have many. Do note that these are meant to be played when people haven't any cards in hand, hence lacking answers for these once on the field. Sheoldred, the Whispering One grants value from each player's bin whiles eating at their board. Abhorrent Overlord offers a swarm of flyers to end the game. Grave Titan is much the same. Archfiend of Despair goes well with Tinybones's second ability. Though I am not too fond of it, Archfiend of Spite offers much. Geth, Lord of the Vault hents the opponent's graveyards to swarm the board. Kokusho, the Evening Star is a massive threat that harms upon death. Kothophed allows for a quite a bit of card draw. Lord of the Void is always fun. Lastly, Gray Merchant of Asphodel does so much every time it hits the field.
Of course, I'd add more ramp and reanimation. Mind Stone, Arcane Signet, Charcoal Diamond, and Lake of the Dead are great for ramp. Animate Dead, Reanimate, and Dread Return are fine ways to get stuff from anyone's yard, save for the Return.
That shall be all from me. Do enjoy your day!
2 months ago
So, here's what I'm thinking:
Pyroclasm(2 copies or so)
Thought Scour for consistency
Ratchet Bomb because repeatable specified wraths is fun.
Grave Peril can also control the board.
Locket of Yesterdays can help reduce mana costs of reanimating spellbombs.
Os Mox Tantalite worth running?
Pithing Needle seems great.
Renegade Map for land draw?
4 months ago
Add at least 1x Necrogen Spellbomb. It allows you to have a permanent instant speed discard, winning by itelf most matchups.
4 months ago
Another card suggestion : Necrogen Spellbomb. It combos with Emry, Lurker of the Loch for permanent instant speed discard, locking by itself most opponents, even better when paired with Teferi, Time Raveler.
5 months ago
Boza: Hey sorry for the delay, but I kept getting distracted by "real life" this week. Now that I've got time, I love the idea of using the cow! =D
Also, I felt like the Cow, Grave Scrabbler and Stinkweed Imp needed more ways to get "online." The only card in the deck that can discard other cards is Tortured Existence, and at 4/60th of the deck, if you don't see it, then I feel there should be a backup redundancy for the combo.
P.S. I think this deck may be listed as "Standard" because the site told me all my suggestions weren't legal in Standard.
1 year ago
Luxxis7, thank you for the suggestion! I'm honestly not too sure at this point; Scroll of Griselbrand is excellent as a free ' Shrieking Affliction ' trigger and can be used to tap for Herald of Anguish 's 'Improvise' before being activated. I will playtest and see how it goes in place of Necrogen Spellbomb . Let me know how you go too!