|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Oath of the Gatewatch (OGW)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Lead by Example
Support 2. (Put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to two target creatures.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Lead by Example Discussion
1 week ago
Recommendation: Metallic Mimic only works with an existing +1/+1 counter (it's not a counter, it's an additional counter). Thus, a Lead by Example will put +1/+1 counters on some of your creatures. Also, Dromoka's Command is very good here. Great deck daNoodalz! Maybe remove Metallic Mimic because giving other cats +1/+1 won't (I think) trigger Metallic Mimic's ability.
3 months ago
It really isn't worth it to make this deck "modern legal" for just Lead by Example, it's a really bad card. Also it's a really good idea to play 4 of the cards that are best in your deck and cut the chaff. For starters I'd play 4x Kumena's Speaker, 4x Merfolk Branchwalker, and 4x Herald of Secret Streams at the very least. They are the best cards in your deck. On the other end of the spectrum Headwater Sentries, Storm Sculptor , New Horizons , and Jungle Delver are all terrible and really low impact cards that can easily be cut from this list. Some great support spells for this strategy are Blossoming Defense and Unsummon. Both are really cheap and efficient tempo cards that work really well with Deeproot Champion. Last but not least your mana base could defiantly use some work. Botanical Sanctum is the best "Simic" dual land available in standard but it is a bit expensive, if your on a budget Woodland Stream is more than fine. Also P.S Blue in MTG is referred to as U not B, so this deck would be called U/G Merfolk.
8 months ago
Yeah good plan, seems incredible that you can just play out all your spells ASAP with that, 2 cmc though yeah sorry; I suppose the energy could work with Gonti's Aether Heart or Aetherworks Marvel? Maybe even Dynavolt Tower? But I can see why you might not feature them, seeing as they're ruddy expensive
9 months ago
Excuse my second paragraph there. What I mean to say is that you won't be able to play any more of your spells, whether strategically or for defensive purposes. That means you can't cast Lead by Example or any other expensive spells until the next turn.
Walking Archive might be good here, if you want to keep drawing cards to keep up the pace of the deck, at the cost of giving your opponent more cards.
9 months ago
I suggest losing the Groundswell, doesn't add up with this being a counters deck after all. Arbor Elf + Utopia Sprawl instead of your Elvish Mystic and Llanowar Elves is really the next step in terms of ramp (although you'll have to allocate more in terms of space for ramp). Lead by Example is good, but at 2 cost for 2 counters might leave you less room to maneuver, perhaps try Quest for the Gemblades? It's good since you have Avatar of the Resolute and gearhulk. I also suggest 2x more of Kalonian Hydra, does wonders.
Overall, pretty nice deck, as a fellow mono-green counters guy, I like that you're not going in the same direction as most Modern players.
Cheers mate, take it easy.
1 year ago
These are the cards i would cut. The only support card that might be good is the reusable one or the one shannon suggested. I love the group hug feel of the deck, but needs more of that.
1 year ago
- Expedition Raptor - Effect isn't strong enough for the cost.
- Hunters' Feast - Effect isn't strong enough for the cost, I think there are other options that are recurrable or have some added value on top of the base life-gain.
- Lead by Example - Effect isn't strong enough for the cost
- Shoulder to Shoulder - Even this one isn't strong enough.
- Early Harvest - If this wasn't only basics, this might be an okay card to run, but as it is, this will probably only untap 3-4 lands, while costing you about that much mana.
- Gleam of Authority - Going deep on the +1/+1 counters? There are better cards than this for doing so. See Experimental Kraj, Plaxcaster Frogling, Vigean Graftmage - you could do a whole proliferate + graft deck.
- Library of Leng - I don't know why you'd want this unless you are hard pressed for Trinket Mage targets or worried about discard effects. Either way, I would want to run something a little more versatile.
- Hurkyl's Recall - Same with this. The allure of saving someone's artifacts from a vandalblast (or your own) is compelling, but until that moment arises (once every three or four games?) you got to be in the right place at the right time, with mana open. Too much work.
- Nissa's Judgment - This card works for your deck, but there's plenty better out there for removal.
- Magewright's Stone - This card seems like a bad Voltaic Key which is also a tough add for the deck. You are stuck on the untap shenanigans deck, which has this one split among several concepts instead of devoted entirely to one.
If you want to go deeper on the +1/+1 counters/proliferate mechanic:
- Cultivator of Blades - I'm big on this guy right now, as he buffs all attacking creatures (including your allies')