Creature — Human Warrior
Level up R (R: Put a level counter on this. Level up only as a sorcery.) [2/2]
Level 4-7 - Flying [4/4]
Level 8+ - Flying, trample, R: Kargan Dragonlord gets +1/+0 until end of turn. [8/8]
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Kargan Dragonlord Discussion
1 month ago
My best advice for you is try to keep the deck two-color with Red and Blue. I think the white Splash is unnecessary here because Kargan Dragonlord is already weighted heavy with its double red mana cost, and without running fetchlands (Arid Mesa, Scalding Tarn, or Flooded Strand) or shocklands (Sacred Foundry, Hallowed Fountain, or Steam Vents) getting the mana you need to cast spells will be harder/slower.
Having Kargan Dragonlord as a wincon is really interesting, but it gets killed by the most common removal spells in the game (Path to Exile, Fatal Push, and Lightning Bolt), so your deck might be inconsistent in control match-ups. You also have Lord of Shatterskull Pass and Lighthouse Chronologist which can serve as win conditions too, but still suffer from similar problems that Kargan Dragonlord does.
Fuel for the Cause, Volt Charge, Steady Progress, Inexorable Tide, and Tezzeret's Gambit are very slow because of their mana costs being in the 3-4 CMC range. Cards such as Serum Visions, Sleight of Hand, Lightning Bolt and Mana Leak can accomplish many of the same things at a cheaper cost without the proliferate effect. Another option you could take instead of running these cards are Goblin Electromancers or Baral, Chief of Compliances, which act as pseudo-ramp for your deck.
As far as your engine (level up ramp) goes, I think Venerated Teacher is the best pick you have and you should definitely run a playset of four in your deck. I think Thrummingbird strictly beats out Skyship Plunderer because the option to place counters on any permanent is conditional.
My last suggestion for you is to consider running Saheeli Rai because it can create tokens of Venerated Teacher whose ETB is important to your deck. There are probably other planeswalkers you could run as well, but the choice is up to you :). Good luck in your deck building!
2 months ago
Unfortunately Dragonspeaker Shaman isn't modern legal. I'd also say you need another couple of lands or Simian Spirit Guide. General card suggestions Kargan Dragonlord and Manamorphose, I also think Dragonmaster Outcast should be in your deck.
5 months ago
Hey! Just a few things I would do without, and I'll try to provide a replacement for each one if I can! So, I'll list the card I would do without, then in parentheses the card I feel could be better, if that makes sense? Bramblewood Paragon I took out because he doesn't give +1/+1 counters to your creatures, only those which already have the counters on them! I see you do have some counter generation with Dragonscale General, but unless you decide to make it your biggest paradigm, I would choose Qasali Ambusher- useful as phuck, and can be free!. If you're going to have a 7-drop that doesn't even top out our curve, instead of Butcher of Malakir, why not have everything you're hitting double with hit HARDER with Gisela, Blade of Goldnight? Chief of the Scale is useful, but in a two-drop slot, Hidden Dragonslayer would be a better fit, plus his extra utility as removal, which our decks desperately need! I actually had Graveblade Marauder in my original list as well... Just didn't think he'd have that much utility. In the 3-drop slot, there won't be a bunch in their graveyards already, and late-game, not that durable I feel... Taurean Mauler is a way stronger card for that slot. As for Jazal Goldmane, I was considering him too, but went with Odric, Lunarch Marshal (I know he's not a Warrior, and that sucks, but with the rest of the keywords we're running?? Killer. Especially since we'd have to pay for Jazal's ability and Odric's is free each combat). Kargan Dragonlord just isn't that good, it'd take 9 total mana spent to get him to his top tier, y'know? Especially if you decide to focus more on the +1/+1 counters, Winnower Patrol would be a powerhouse, plus helping you plan ahead. Madrush Cyclops is super cool, I'm trying to find room for him after seeing it here.I had Mardu Shadowspear as well, but went with Birds of Paradise instead for better manafixing, but that's your call. Mirri, Cat Warrior and Narnam Renegade are also super cool. Trying to find room. There are a ton of cards I feel just raise your curve too high lol, but I'm all about aggro
Cool stuff! Good luck! I've also heard that Amonkhet is supposed to be Warrior-heavy, so I'm not gonna put mine together just yet
5 months ago
You can also stick in those "At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice this creature" elementals, such as Spark Elemental, Ball Lightning, Hellspark Elemental, etc. (although Ball Lightning may be a little mana-expensive).
For another burn spell, you can try out Grapeshot, however, it only really has good value by turn 3-4 ish, when you can pump out more spells.
6 months ago
- Creatures I'd look into cutting
- Civic Wayfinder- there are tons of better ramp options on a stick then this dude
- Cliffhaven Vampire- really depends on your life gaining abilities and the consistency of those
- Daghatar the Adamant- more valuable in a deck where you plain on making and growing +1/+1 counters
- Dragon Hunter- a situational 1 drop, it's alright
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip- only good in a creature heavy deck.I would wiff on him about 1/5 uses in deck with 26 creatures in a 60 card deck
- Emberstrike Duo- I'm just not a fan. it requires spells to be alright
- Falkenrath Marauders- it is heavy on the red mana side, and it buffs itself if it can get through. There are better 5 drops in these colors
- Foundry Street Denizen How many red creatures do you plan on playing? because his ability only triggers when you cars a red one
- Gatekeeper of Malakir triple black to be useful, more than likely a dead drop most games
- Gilt-Leaf Winnower once again double black, and how often do you think it's ability will actually work
- Graveblade Marauder just not that good of a card
- Kargan Dragonlord another easy drop
- Nacatl War-Pride your mana base more than likely won't support this guy
- Ogre Battledriver double red and one off buff thats alright
- Seeker of the Way better in non creature spell heavy decks
- Skyrider Elf not legal in this deck
- Swordwise Centaur not a good 2 drop in this deck
- Thunder-Thrash Elder only good if you eat alot of dudes
- Artifacts I'd drop
- Godsend i am iffy on this, even in my mono brimaz this card can be hard to play, and isn't good until turn 6
- Spear of Heliod the double white might be hard to do. there are better anthem cards.
- Whip of Erebos you don't really have a lot of good etb creatures, and the lifelink might only help a little as well
- Feudkiller's Verdict there are better cards then this for a 6 drop
- Mardu Charm it looks underwhelming
- Gratuitous Violence there are cheaper versions of this card
8 months ago
Stormbreath Dragon is strictly better than Demigod of Revenge imo. You have a pretty top heavy curve already, I wouldn't add any more weight there. I might suggest cutting some amount of Wurmcoil Engine for either some interaction or mid-range threats, but I'm getting into my opinion here. I haven't really looked into either Figure of Destiny or Kargan Dragonlord, but they seem like a mana sink that could be easily removed and leave you 2 or 3 for 1ing yourself. I understand the deck is built around not having Skred, but I don't see a reason why not to run it. I have actually done some extensive research into skred red, and I made a variant of it: Blood, Bridges, and Burn. I haven't been a fan of Magus of the Moon, but that is more of a personal opinion. Pia and Kiran Nalaar are great for this deck as well. Anger of the Gods might be a good edition in place of some Pyroclasms in either side or main board. I don't want to take away from what your deck is doing or the theme behind it- The beauty of Skred Red is its ability to be molded to whatever the user wants. If you would like more suggestions, I can give them to you, but that's up to you.
9 months ago
TheACTR..... Is it weird to say "I love you" to a man you've never met? Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate that you recognized my desire to stay all in on creatures, and the card draw suggestions are great! I am also struggling a little bit with mana. When I originally built the deck, I figured that the overwhelming number of mana dorks would off-set the low land count. I'm starting to think that I should add 2 lands in. Right now, I plan to take out low impact cards and I'm thinking that those cards will be:
I like these cards well enough, but I'm generally not happy when I draw them
9 months ago
Fartface31: Ash Zealot is good ageist the right deck and I'm still considering it but the opponent must cast a card from the graveyard but there a lot more cards that work from or can be fetched from it such as Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. The two drop slot is filled with Kargan Dragonlord, and Burning-Tree Emissary witch are staples in this deck and there many better cards to main board so it would on make main board but the Relic of Progenitus I fill is better because it permanently removes cards. An example would be like exile all graves while Snapcaster Mage is being cast to remove its target. As for Heartlash Cinder, its just not good. Offers only 1 devotion for 2 and can be chumped easily. If there was a trample engine in this deck i would consider it but theres no way to see that it doesn't get destroyed with no advantage from it.