|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Hour of Devastation (HOU)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Counter target blue spell. If it was a Jace planeswalker spell, scry 2.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Jace's Defeat Discussion
1 month ago
1) Once an ability is activated, removing the source of the ability doesn't counter it, but you could still cast Seal Away in response to the activation just to get it off of the field. Also, a mana ability like that of Llanowar Elves can't be responded to, but you could cast Seal Away later in the turn to exile it so it can't be used on subsequent turns.
2) A mana ability is an ability that can add mana to a player's mana pool. In order to be a mana ability it cannot target (not stanadard relevant), and cannot be a planeswalker ability (like Chandra, Torch of Defiance's second ability). It only needs to be able to add mana to a mana pool, not necessarily do so, as such Sanctum of the Sun's ability is a mana ability even if you have 0 or less life.
3) Yes, as long as a spell is blue it can be countered by Jace's Defeat even if it has additional colors.
4) Yes, but as addressed earlier the ability will still resolve, and many abilities do not effect their sources so bouncing it will have little effect most of the time, especially with planeswalker ultimates.
5) This is exactly the sort of situation addressed in 1 and 4, Boros Reckoner would die from the 13 damage well before it's ability resolved, but your opponent would still be dealt the damage.
1 month ago
Hey everyone, I am just now getting back into standard after not having played for 5 years. With that being said, I have some questions about card interaction that I was hoping you all could answer (seeing as I know a lot of people here are actively playing at FNMs and probably some of you are even rule judges). Thank you!
2 months ago
This deck has a big problem.
It has 19 Creature spells and 18 Non-Creature spells, often meaning that it has nothing in its opening hand that can be played by Turn 2.
This means that your Opponent can easily pull ahead of you.
You need to adjust the proportion, so that you have more Creatures.
These spells can be removed:
4x Cartouche of Knowledge - I know this gives draw, but it also allows your Opponent to 2-for-1 you; they only have to play one removal spell, and they have gotten rid of two of your cards. Giving your Opponent that kind of card advantage is never a good idea.
I would consider replacing those cards with more early Creatures.
I don't like how Lathnu Hellion works in this type of deck. It's extremely situational, and as your Opponent I will happily chump block, and force you to potentially waste , that could be used for something better. Seeing that we have added Whirler Virtuoso in the three drop slot, we don't really need it any more. I would take all copies out, add a fourth Whirler Virtuoso, and then look at what is going on further up your curve.
Your Sideboard is fairly much on point. LOVE Jace's Defeat. I've been using that myself against Control decks.
I hope that helped a bit.
If you make some changes, and want me to take another look at your deck, just tag me in these Comments.
Argy on Rat Colony!!
3 months ago
You're gonna need a LOT more Counter spells if you want this to work.
3 months ago
I've been thinking of a sideboard for this deck and I've come up with some ideas:
2 more Hope of Ghirapur against control strategies, my brother used one against my Approach with his Mardu Vehicles and prevented me from casting it to win.
Maybe a couple copies of Ceremonious Rejection against decks using a lot of artifacts.
Jace's Defeat could come in handy against the Grixis/UB/UR/UG decks in the meta (which is quite a lot)
Supreme Will might work against control-heavy strategies and midrange decks
If you could create a good sideboard for this deck, try using these cards and it might turn out to be game-changing!
4 months ago
I hope most of the spells included are new cards because a majority of Planeswalker named cards are junk. There are some exceptions: Oath of Jace, Jace's Ingenuity, Jace's Archivist and Jace's Defeat. Are cards like these worth buying a new product though?
New cards for example like an equipment Jace's Cloak, a draw spell Mind of Jace, a new Illusion creature, etc. Cards that get better when you control a Jace Planeswalker?
4 months ago
4 months ago
This deck has changed since the PT. Most people have cut the Opt And are either playing 1 of Fumigate main or a 3rd Cast Out main with Hostile Desert moved to the main. And most of these decks aren't running Authority of the Consuls or Jace's Defeat. They're running River's Rebuke as a one of along with some number of either Ixalan's Binding Or Baffling End.