Threshold - As long as seven or more cards are in your graveyard, Hunting Grounds has "Whenever an opponent plays a spell, you may put a creature card from your hand into play."
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Hunting Grounds Discussion
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
Seedborn Muse is great, pretty similar to the Prophet and pretty budget. You seem set on synergy around Rubinia so for some straight value options you have: Derevi, Empyrial Tactician, Crystallization, Coiling Oracle, Plasm Capture, Trygon Predator, Spitting Image, Mistmeadow Witch, Render Silent, Ephara, God of the Polis, Detention Sphere, Mercy Killing, Loxodon Hierarch, Glare of Subdual, Hunting Grounds, Mirari's Wake, Yavimaya Elder, Oblation, Fact or Fiction. That's all I can think of right now. Sorry I haven't responded in a while.
2 months ago
@AKBZ: I like haste a lot. It's the main reason why Xenagos, God of Revels is in here. But I don't feel like Cyclops of Eternal Fury does quite enough to merit his inclusion. I really wish Urabrask the Hidden had 5 power - he'd be an auto-include if Mayael could grab him. Expect for Avacyn, Angel of Hope granting a single keyword often doesn't provide enough utility to secure a deck slot.
That said, I've seen variations of this deck that run (almost) exclusively creatures like Cyclops of Eternal Fury, Windbrisk Raptor, Nylea, God of the Hunt...basically, creatures that keep giving their team a new keyword. It's a pretty fun idea (hey look, all my dudes have indestructible, hexproof, lifelink, and vigilance!) but tends to be fairly fragile and most definitely for casual tables.
@thewyzman: You know, I had written Hunting Grounds off initially because I found it hard to reach threshold early enough in the game to matter. But, as the deck has been shifting toward using more instants and Mind Stone type cards, It's probably worth another look.
2 months ago
I'm re-hashing my own Mayael deck and invite you -and anyone- to comment on a number of cards. I'll list them in a comment there and tag you, Hobo, so I don't poach conversation here.
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 4 | 20 COMMENTS | 1922 VIEWS
2 months ago
Looks good, one thing I would recommend is more land, 30 is not enough considering your average CMC is 5. most EDH decks run about 36 - 38.
Out of curiosity, how often do you actually get threshold on Hunting Grounds? It seems like it might be a dead card.
2 months ago
After this loong comment I finally have some suggestions for you on what to add:
- Seedborn Muse: Do the offense -> attack -> untap -> be still in the defense -> smile
- Soul of the Harvest: It is no beast but it gets you more beasts and it is a big hitter
Now for your defense:
You play white so where are your reset buttons?
- Wrath of God + Day of Judgment + Austere Command: This will keep you alife in critical situations. In commander you simply need some reset options
- Beast Within + Path to Exile + Swords to Plowshares: This will keep of nasty things that annoy you.
Lastly you need more ramp. More ramp means sure ramp wich means being faster and this equals pure and strong pressure with your big hitters:
- Explosive Vegetation + Kodama's Reach will be good additions to your already existing ramp spells.
- Basalt Monolith + Grim Monolith + Mana Vault: This may need some explanation. Those 3 purely exist to get you mana fast. They do not exist for a constant mana flow. They will be untapped once you have the spare mana. And especially in the early turns they will push you far ahead. Just think about playing a Rampaging Baloths in turn 3. This is a nightmare (for your opponents).
Lastly I am missing 3 very fun cards here:
- Lurking Predators: nothing to say here
- Hunting Ground: same as above
- Bow of Nylea: Trample + deathtouch = 1 damage for the blocking creature and the rest for your opponent. (Yes it works. I looked it up. trample + deathtouch is a cruel combination)
I hope this helps.