Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.
Draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.
Printings View all
|Masters Edition III (ME3)||Common|
|Fifth Edition (5ED)||Common|
|Ice Age (ICE)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
3 days ago
Also, I think your list is great, but I disagree with some of your choices (obviously to each their own). I think you could cut both your Niveous Wisps and your Crimson Wisps for better card advantage (i.e. Samut's Sprint, Stand Firm, Acrobatic Maneuver, or even Heal .I'm assuming card advantage on the wisps is what you are using them for because making feather or any other creature white or red doesn't really seem to make a difference.
Seize the day is great because 2 combat phases a turn is pretty stellar. That plus double strike and double damage takes out a player. With a small 1 or 2 drop buff in addition could take out 2 players.
Aurelia's Fury to me is just a great all around card in a feather deck. Deal 1 damage to feather and the rest to meet your fancy haha. Recurring removal for creatures or planeswalkers (errata'd to include planeswalkers) or direct damage to players (great late game) AND provides control on their noncreature spells. Also provides protection in combat to either get damage through or protect against big wide boards. I think this is one of the best cards for feather in all honesty.
9 months ago
Feather is in play
Someone plays Murder (for example)
I play Heal on the stack
Would Feather’s triggered ability still happen? Or would it begin by putting the card in exile and then it would sit there because she’d be in the command zone. I haven’t used many stack heavy decks so I’m just trying to make sense of this stuff
9 months ago
VaalVanir Panic work just fine for the deck because while it does require a combat phase, it can be used on ANYBODY'S combat phase. So it doesn't really matter. As long as it can be cast every turn it does its job. And if I was going to switch out Heal for anything than it would be Niveous Wisps , needing to tap your own creatures is kind of annoying tho. I believe it would be more likely for me to have BOTH of those cards in the future. but so far between the two, I've found them not all that different from eachother in usefullness. So I wouldn't fault anybody for using either. Unfortunately tho, switching it for a 2 mana draw spell is not worth it. The instant draw effect is nice, but it then also costs twice as much. So we can think about it as "Would you rather draw a card now, or draw 2 cards next turn. I personally would almost always go for two cards next turn. Especially when we are playing these draw spells on the enemy's turn more often than not, so it doesn't really matter when we draw the cards since there is a high chance we wouldn't be able to play the cards until our turn anyway.
And yes, having a more reliable way to get Zada, Hedron Grinder on the field would be nice, but adding a card that finds ONLY him is a bit much. Cards like Goblin Matron would be a lot more solid of a consideration if we had more goblin cards, like the Goblin Welder I am currently testing. But adding a card that works with only 1 of the 99 is doomed to fail, unless we can very easily find the other card (for example Magnetic Theft and Sunforger ) So if you so end up trying out Goblin Matron I suggest you go a little harder into the artifact support cards and add things like Goblin Welder as well, at the very least.
9 months ago
May I suggest switching out Panic for another 2 cast cost instant that draws you a card, I can't recall the names right now. And switching out Heal for, maybe, Niveous Wisps or, again, another 2 cast cost instant that draws you a card.
9 months ago
Also, how are your creatures treating you? Things like Soul-Scar Mage and Setessan Battle Priest are cute cards; though I struggle to see what mileage you’re getting out of Soul Scar Mage. You aren’t running much in the way of burn; so is he not a dead draw most of the time? Is his prowess the only thing helping you?
The obvious Heroic synergy is present with the Priest; though is her lifegain that relevant to you? Or is that a more meta dependent include?
I personally have been using Dreadhorde Arcanist to great effect as it allows me to start dumping hand buffs early without Feather support, benefit from the draws; and then pick them back up later. Also, and while I’m poking at your creatures; is there any particular reason you havent mentioned Zada, Hedron Grinder or Mirrorwing Dragon anywhere? Since you are using “janky” card draw effects such as Heal , I’m sure you would appreciate being able to draw a couple extra cards alongside your normal targets no?
Really like the inclusion of the Tethmos High Priest in your list and am struggling to find a place for him in my own list.
9 months ago
I’ve been debating adding Amber to my own list just for additional colored mana; but the possibility of having a “dead card” in hand feels really harsh to me... however being able to drop it alongside Feather to have open protection also sounds decent.
As far as cards like Wisps, Heal , and Bandage go; are you getting your mileage out of them simply for the card draw? Or are you also getting use out of their abilities? I understand your reasoning for not using more combat oriented/ narrow cards such as Psychotic Fury or Balduvian Rage in the list; though I would be hard pressed to drop my Rage for anything due to just how potent double strike is on Feather.
Been lurking on your list for a while, keep it up!
10 months ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
10 months ago
Hey, fine version, other than the manabase :) Why would you copy a deck that had such a bad manabase? How do you expect to consistently be able to make mana cost for Feather with 14 Mountains? If budget is a concern then before adding expensive price cards such as Paradox and Recruiter use those funds for Boros dual lands?
- Sacred Foundry
- Clifftop Retreat
- Rugged Prairie
- Inspiring Vantage
- City of Brass
- Mana Confluence
- Reflecting Pool
Because of Feather's double white mana cost requirement than white should be the primary color and red the secondary color. low CMC cards are problematic when is more important. Cut Mountains for Boros dual lands and keep Plains. Chromatic Lantern does help with mana fixing; it's one of the best three drop mana rocks and if I was going to play a three drop mana rock I would play it over others. More white also makes white instants that draw better than red ones because you will have more white mana to use on your opponent's turns then red mana. Exceptions for red are: Expedite, C. Wisps, B. Rage, P. Fury. Consider adding the other white one drop instant draw: Bandage , Niveous Wisps , Heal ?
Dreadhorde Arcanist has nice interaction with Feather; they both benefit from pump spells. Arcanist is a way to get back an instant or sorcery from your graveyard that you cast when you didn't have Feather on the battlefield. You will not always have Feather on the battlefield and when this happens you still want to cast cards especially draw spells, but then they go to the graveyard. With Feather on the battlefield instants and sorceries you cast from your graveyard with Arcanist that target a creature trigger Feather's exile ability first since they're cast meaning they never go to exile after resolving. They go back into your hand at the next end step.
Knight of the White Orchid is better land ramp then Cartographer, half the mana cost and first strike. Turn two Knight getting Sacred Foundry is helpful to cast Feather on curve. Double white mana cost shouldn't be a problem because you need it for Feather. Swiftfoot Boots is worth playing to protect Feather because unlike Greaves it gives the creature hexproof meaning it can still be targeted by you. If you like some of these suggestions I offer help to make cuts. Good luck with your deck.