Creature — Zombie
Whenever Grotesque Hybrid deals combat damage to a creature, destroy that creature. It can't be regenerated.
Discard a card: Grotesque Hybrid gains flying and protection from green and from white until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Grotesque Hybrid Discussion
1 year ago
Well, thank you everyone for the help! I greatly appreciate all of it! My initial gut feeling has decided on these changes thus far:
- -Obelisk of Urd / +Whip of Erebos
- -Risen Executioner / +Vengeful Pharaoh
- -Grotesque Hybrid / +Mogis's Marauder
- -Languish / +In Garruk's Wake
- -Attrition / +Grave Betrayal
(That last one may seem crazy, but it's because I don't own the first when I do own the other, and I don't plan on getting it for awhile so mind as well)
1 year ago
Hm, that is a good point. While I have other recursion available to me Balthor is the main way.
1 year ago
Grotesque Hybrid, while it is a discard outlet and a strong blocker, is an expensive and small creature. I would recommend replacing it with either Shriekmaw, since it's essentially an uncounterable Terror that also puts a creature in your graveyard, or Skirge Familiar, a discard outlet at the same cost that also functions as ramp.
1 year ago
The list I am am working on only has the Gitrog + Dakmor + Discard outlet way to mill yourself but
- The Gitrog Monster is your commander so finding it is a non-issue.
- Dakmor Salvage can be found with Sylvan Scrying, Realms Uncharted, Entomb, Expedition Map, Realm Seekers or any generic tutor. Also, if you have a discard outlet, you can discard any Dredge card, dredge it back next time you draw, and hope you flip at least one land when you do so you can keep going. It's not infinite, but hopefully you can eventually dredge you Dakmor Salvage and go truly infinite.
- You have, I believe,
- This deck can play 10 discard outlets, and I like the idea of playing all of them: Earsplitting Rats, Grotesque Hybrid, Murderer's Axe, Oblivion Crown, Oona's Prowler, Putrid Imp, Skirge Familiar, Trespasser il-Vec, Volrath's Dungeon and Wild Mongrel (ok, there is Tunneler Wurm, but that's too much even for me), and you cna use Regrowth and Eternal Witness to get them back if you dredge them, plus Demonic Tutor, Diabolic Tutor, Increasing Ambition, Beseech the Queen, Liliana Vess, etc. etc. to pick one up.
Even with only one combo, there is enough redundancy here that I don't think you need more.
Also worth mentioning: comboing off with Skirge Familiar does not truly give you infinite mana if you don't want to play an Ulamog, the Infinite Gyro (but I dislike that plan since then you can only play three discard outlets to go infinite in some measure - Wild Mongrel, Volrath's Dungeon and the familiar itself). You get realistically 40-50, sometimes less if you start dredging 6 over and over to find Dakmor Salvage. That's low enough where relying on Exsanguinate for the kill might be unwise - somebody at the table is playing Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim and suddenly you can't kill them? It's an issue.
Maybe one could use a "Four Horsemen" approach i.e. we play the Ulamog, the Infinite Gyro and rely on the extra draws from Dakmor Salvage to eventually draw it and proceed to put the whole deck in the graveyard a few hundreds dredges in instead of a few dozens? That might be the way to go if we want to have the option to cast large Exsanguinates occasionally.
1 year ago
I don't think this is a rules question. Maybe Epochalyptik or another admin should move it to a more appropriate forum?
Keep in mind that The Gitrog Monster triggers wen a land is put into your graveyard from anywhere, so you can skip Fastbond altogether and infinitely discard Dakmor Salvage to any free discard outlet and use the trigger to dredge it back to your hand.
If color identity is a consideration, the only free outlets you have are Grotesque Hybrid, the new equipment Murderer's Axe, Oblivion Crown, Oona's Prowler, Patchwork Gnomes or Putrid Imp. If you can play red, though, you might as well play Seismic Assault or Borborygmos Enraged and win the game :)