|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Zombie
Whenever Grotesque Hybrid deals combat damage to a creature, destroy that creature. It can't be regenerated.
Discard a card: Grotesque Hybrid gains flying and protection from green and from white until end of turn.
Grotesque Hybrid Discussion
2 months ago
Your land count is pretty low compared to your average CMC. I suggest no less than 37 for non-competitive lists. Also, I would run some more rocks. Jet Medallion Charcoal Diamond Fellwar Stone for starters. Unstable Obelisk for the upside of getting rid of permanents that Black has trouble with.
11 months ago
1 year ago
Hi, I have a Gitrog deck of my own. What I think would improve your deck:
Mesmeric Orb It's a bit pricey but amazing with gitrog as the milling is done one card at a time.
Gaea's Blessing If you happen to mill it you'll shuffle Graveyard with Library, this is a the third layer of protection to avoid milling myself to death which happened to me several times before with previous builds of this deck.
Key to the City Discard a card to smash your opponent with Gitrog or your biggest creature, was it a land? the draw a card, and another on your upkeep. This card has become a staple of many of my decks.
Roar of Challenge kill up to six creatures of an opponent thanks to Gitrog's Deathtouch.
Constant Mists I almos feel bad using this card with Gitrog... almost!
Spitting Spider and Grotesque Hybrid to have some dissuade flyers of coming my way and another land sac outlet and discard outlet.
Stinkweed Imp another great flyer dissuader with high Dredge, I don't run it anymore on this deck because discarding it over and over to Skirge Familiar and finishing the game with Exsanguinate wasn't my playstyle, so I took most of the dredge and discard outlets.
Herald of Leshrac Hi, can I borrow your land for a while... ups, it broke!
You can check the rest of my deck here Deadly Gitrog
3 years ago
Well, thank you everyone for the help! I greatly appreciate all of it! My initial gut feeling has decided on these changes thus far:
- -Obelisk of Urd / +Whip of Erebos
- -Risen Executioner / +Vengeful Pharaoh
- -Grotesque Hybrid / +Mogis's Marauder
- -Languish / +In Garruk's Wake
- -Attrition / +Grave Betrayal
(That last one may seem crazy, but it's because I don't own the first when I do own the other, and I don't plan on getting it for awhile so mind as well)
3 years ago
Hm, that is a good point. While I have other recursion available to me Balthor is the main way.
3 years ago
Grotesque Hybrid, while it is a discard outlet and a strong blocker, is an expensive and small creature. I would recommend replacing it with either Shriekmaw, since it's essentially an uncounterable Terror that also puts a creature in your graveyard, or Skirge Familiar, a discard outlet at the same cost that also functions as ramp.
3 years ago
The list I am am working on only has the Gitrog + Dakmor + Discard outlet way to mill yourself but
- The Gitrog Monster is your commander so finding it is a non-issue.
- Dakmor Salvage can be found with Sylvan Scrying, Realms Uncharted, Entomb, Expedition Map, Realm Seekers or any generic tutor. Also, if you have a discard outlet, you can discard any Dredge card, dredge it back next time you draw, and hope you flip at least one land when you do so you can keep going. It's not infinite, but hopefully you can eventually dredge you Dakmor Salvage and go truly infinite.
- You have, I believe,
- This deck can play 10 discard outlets, and I like the idea of playing all of them: Earsplitting Rats, Grotesque Hybrid, Murderer's Axe, Oblivion Crown, Oona's Prowler, Putrid Imp, Skirge Familiar, Trespasser il-Vec, Volrath's Dungeon and Wild Mongrel (ok, there is Tunneler Wurm, but that's too much even for me), and you cna use Regrowth and Eternal Witness to get them back if you dredge them, plus Demonic Tutor, Diabolic Tutor, Increasing Ambition, Beseech the Queen, Liliana Vess, etc. etc. to pick one up.
Even with only one combo, there is enough redundancy here that I don't think you need more.
Also worth mentioning: comboing off with Skirge Familiar does not truly give you infinite mana if you don't want to play an Ulamog, the Infinite Gyro (but I dislike that plan since then you can only play three discard outlets to go infinite in some measure - Wild Mongrel, Volrath's Dungeon and the familiar itself). You get realistically 40-50, sometimes less if you start dredging 6 over and over to find Dakmor Salvage. That's low enough where relying on Exsanguinate for the kill might be unwise - somebody at the table is playing Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim and suddenly you can't kill them? It's an issue.
Maybe one could use a "Four Horsemen" approach i.e. we play the Ulamog, the Infinite Gyro and rely on the extra draws from Dakmor Salvage to eventually draw it and proceed to put the whole deck in the graveyard a few hundreds dredges in instead of a few dozens? That might be the way to go if we want to have the option to cast large Exsanguinates occasionally.
3 years ago
I don't think this is a rules question. Maybe Epochalyptik or another admin should move it to a more appropriate forum?
Keep in mind that The Gitrog Monster triggers wen a land is put into your graveyard from anywhere, so you can skip Fastbond altogether and infinitely discard Dakmor Salvage to any free discard outlet and use the trigger to dredge it back to your hand.
If color identity is a consideration, the only free outlets you have are Grotesque Hybrid, the new equipment Murderer's Axe, Oblivion Crown, Oona's Prowler, Patchwork Gnomes or Putrid Imp. If you can play red, though, you might as well play Seismic Assault or Borborygmos Enraged and win the game :)
No data for this card yet.