When target creature is put into a graveyard this turn, return that card to play under its owner's control.
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Graceful Reprieve Discussion
8 months ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
1 year ago
Writing up a comment on your deck WarriorMagic.
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 44 | 8 COMMENTS | 1669 VIEWS | IN 9 FOLDERS
Made extensive changes to this deck since my previous post a few weeks ago, and it's even more fun now with lots of different ways to win. Polymorph puts all creatures from your library into play to trigger Ally ETBs. Fiery Gambit lets you flip coins to burn opponents out or draw lots of cards and untap your lands. Polymorphous Rush adds a new dimension to the deck, comboing with Silverfur Partisan for an explosive number of Wolves, and creating unexpected synergies with cards already in the deck like Harabaz Druid and Reef Worm. Zulaport Cutthroat works great with and without Polymorphous Rush since the deck kills its own creatures.
Looking to include a few of the cards in the last section of the description like Graceful Reprieve, Reincarnation, Accelerate, Twinflame, Nivmagus Elemental, Jwari Shapeshifter, Chasm Skulker, Mitotic Slime, and Xenagos, the Reveler, so any suggestions for cuts would be great.
2 years ago
How good does the white part work? If not that good, I suggest swapping it for more red, or even black. Black has a fling-like thing: Rite of Consumption and a better Graceful Reprieve in the form of Supernatural Stamina. And buffing creatures when blocking doesn't seem that consistent. Black should have better buffspells.
2 years ago
@celsha While yes Martial Law doesn't do much in the deck, Grafdigger's Cage will result in a disruption to 5 other cards in the deck (Emeria, The Sky Ruin, Field of Souls, Auramancer, Graceful Reprieve, and Defy Death) that is already seen in Rest in Peace, Samurai of the Pale Curtain, and Relic of Progenitus.
2 years ago
I think maybe the whole set lists for MM3 and PCA aren't up yet?
I could not add the following cards:Felidar Umbra (PCA), Graceful Reprieve (MM3), Preyseizer Dragon (PCA), Sever the Bloodline (MM3), Thunder-Thrash Elder (PCA), Ulvenwald Tracker (MM3), Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree (PCA), Wall of Denial (MM3)
2 years ago
Ok, this looks intesting. Drana's Emissary costs a little much, and needs to stay on the battlefield to have an effect, not great for winning or stalling.
You basically have two options with B/W allies at the moment- the traditional Hada Freeblade/Kazandu Blademaster/Champion of the Parish beatdown. Its pretty straightforwards, and has gained some traction running Collected Company, you'll find examples on this site listed under modern allies.
What it isn't, is budget.
I'd reccomend an etb/flicker deck, as the cards are cheaper, as the diverse common-rarity options keep the price low.
Expedition Envoy/Ondu Cleric/Jeskai Barricade/Lantern Scout/Cliffside Lookout/Cliffhaven Vampire/Kabira Evangel/Ondu War Cleric/Serene Steward/Bloodbond Vampire/Kalastria Healer/Zulaport Cutthroat as core creatures aiming to stall the game, then close out with flicker effects for a lot of etb/ltb effects.
March from the Tomb/Eerie Interlude/Rally the Anscestors/Ghostway/Momentary Blink/No Rest for the Wicked/Proclamation of Rebirth/Faith's Reward/Whip of Erebos/Flickerform/Graceful Reprieve/Return to the Ranks/Makeshift Mannequin/Marshal's Anthem/Stonecloaker to puch out in turns 5-7 with etb triggers.
Some dredge like Stinkweed Imp/Dakmor Salvage/Nightmare Void, Darkblast or Golgari Thug could help provide card advantage throught the 'yard, but would leave you grave-hate vulnerable. The main battle is going to be surviving through and battling against combo, which will always be a weak matchup- but a good sideboard could hate it out with 15 dedicated cards, or focus on other matchups and accept combo as lost.
All told, nice start and good luck tinkering. Hope this big list isn't too intimidating, almost all the effects are similar for your purpsose- just pick and choose the cheaper ones and test the proportions to make sure your hands look nice and have fun testing!
4 years ago
Some more suggestions: Flickerform, Conspiracy, Mirari's Wake, Legion's Initiative, Lurking Predators, Defense of the Heart, Steely Resolve, Aluren, Eldrazi Monument, Akroma's Memorial, Captain's Claws, Prophet of Kruphix, Brago, King Eternal, Roon of the Hidden Realm, Restoration Angel, Stoneforge Masterwork, Graceful Reprieve, Venser, the Sojourner
4 years ago
I recently removed Generator Servant, in great favor of Proteus Staff. It sets up the game just right to win the game, and if something goes awry you can reset again and again to get land or removal or whatever you need.
You can remind your friends that side boarding is gross, dumb, and illegal. But if it warrants you to change your game plan: Witchbane Orb Ivory Mask and other similar artifacts / enchantments to give YOU shroud as well will keep Narset on board. Similarly...'Angelic Renewal Enduring Renewal False Demise Fool's Demise Flickerform Loyal Retainers Graceful Reprieve Vanishing and Trickbind can all keep your general free from sacrificing :3