Search your library for up to four cards with different names and reveal them. Target opponent chooses two of those cards. Put the chosen cards into your graveyard and the rest into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Gifts Ungiven Discussion
2 days ago
maybe Gifts Ungiven? Add the typical creatures like Norn and Iona with Unburial Rites but with the creatures you're already running plus a few high end etb value cards. Also gives you a way to seartch for Seance, so maybe a card that gets things out of your graveyard?
2 days ago
lidlett YEAH for god's sake, I read the card wrong. My bad!!! Yes, indeed, they'll have to lose 10 life.
However, I still keep my point that it makes opponent choose. And when opponent has to choose how a spell resolves, that's no good. That's why some people dislike Vexing Devil, or Fact or Fiction against Gifts Ungiven.
You want to clear the board? Use a wrath then. Don't let opponent choose.
3 days ago
Good deck overall, i bet it is a lot of fun playing with it. However if you are playing competitively with it, these might be some changes you might consider, especially since modern decks in tournaments, usually win either by turn 3-4 or have some kind of infinite combos in them.
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobiteis tops down an awesome creature, especially when you par it up with Natural Affinity or other similar combos. However in modern, unless you play her in a Gifts Ungiven deck or some sort of instant reanimation deck, it will be almost impossible for you to hard-cast her(depending mostly on the opponents deck of course). So I think you should just play another 5drop creature, maybe Baneslayer Angel.
Path of Bravery it is a really good card for lifelink decks, i used to have it in my deck but i found my self a lot of times not being able to attack with more then 1 or 2 creatures, and worst the trigger happens only once with Archangel of Thune no matter how many creatures are attacking, and if none is attacking then its just sitting there. So maybe Ajani's Mantra could be an option for you, especially since it works really good with Ajani's Pridemate.Anyways the best way to figure out what works and what doest for your deck is to try them out, so good luck and have fun playing.
4 days ago
Transmute was a mechanic I utilized in old versions of the deck. Tutors are very slow for this deck given it needs 4 pieces to work. For that reason, for a tutor to make the cut it would need to have a high impact on the game such as Jarad's Orders or Gifts Ungiven.
I'm experimenting with Sidisi, Undead Vizier currently to enable death triggers without Heartless Summoning on the field.
1 week ago
Elesh Norn and Unburial Rites are for the Gifts Ungiven part of the deck. Gifts is a relatively unknown deck, but the idea is you cast the namesake card as a 'double entomb' to put Unburial Rites and Elesh Norn into your graveyard, then flashback Rites on your next turn to reanimate Elesh Norn, basically ending the game in all of this decks hard matchups.
1 week ago
Sorry if I came off as harsh, I didn't mean to sound that way. I played a turbo delve deck during Origins standard (when both Commune with the Gods and Gather the Pack were legal) so I'm a big fan of what you're trying to do here. It's just that modern is such a faster and more ruthless format, so you have to have a more streamlined plan.
Jace is better for several reasons:
1) You have 18 meaningful spells to flash back with him. This is a huge portion of your deck, and you will be throwing some of those spells into the graveyard while milling yourself with Gather the Pack and Satyr Wayfinder, meaning you won't have access to them without a flipped Jace. Loam and Raven's Crime can be replayed from the GY already, but even if you discount those you still have 12 spells that you can't get back, most importantly all your removal, and you will inevitably mill some of those in the process of setting up your delve spells. A 1/1 split of Life from the Loam and Raven's Crime is even ok if you want to run a couple Gifts Ungiven. You can intentionally fail to find cards with Gifts, so you can tutor up only Loam and Raven's Crime EoT and then triple cast Raven's Crime on your turn. I'm not sure Gifts is right in this kind of deck though.
2) I'm assuming that you have 4 Raven's Crime in the deck since it minimizes the damage you do when you mill it with Wayfinder/Gather the Pack. Since Jace provides a high degree of graveyard interaction, a more optimal configuration would be something like 2 Inquisition of Kozilek/Thoughtseize/Duress (depending on budget considerations and what matchups you want to improve) and 2 Raven's Crime. The retrace on Raven's Crime basically means you only need 1 when you find Life from the Loam. Adding Jace basically frees up a few flex spots for additional disruption that's more targeted. Some decks (burn, affinity, sometimes merfolk) empty their hands very fast, making Raven's Crime pretty worthless compared to targeted discard, so having 4 in the main deck is a bit of a risk.
2) Since you're filling your graveyard so quickly, you can almost always flip him the turn after you cast him if he survives. This gives your opponent one turn to kill him, whereas they can kill Merfolk Looter at their leisure (or ignore it, as it's a pretty minor threat).
3) If he does survive, you have a lot of control over when he flips since you can delve away your graveyard, even at instant speed. In a deck like yours, with plenty of delve cards, a Jace that untaps is effectively two cards in one since you get to choose whatever form is most necessary at the time. One of the reasons the other flipwalkers aren't as good is because it's much harder to control when they flip, but with Jace that's not a problem.
4) If they use non-burn removal on him, that's one less removal spell you have to worry about hitting a Tasigur or Angler. Even if they just kill him with lightning bolt, that means they can't Bolt+Snap+Bolt your delve fatty unless they have a second bolt.
5) Jace is a better blocker. You aren't going to attack very often with Merfolk Looter, so a looter that blocks better is preferable. In creature form, he can block random 1/Xs that you find around modern like Young Pyromancer tokens and such. But with 4 or more cards in your graveyard he can block any non-trampling creature, tap and flip to basically fog their attack while drawing you a card and giving you a planeswalker.
He is ridiculously expensive so I can understand substituting Looter, but there is no denying that Jace is the better choice here absent monetary concerns. I'd proxy an alternate version of this deck and playtest against some tier 1 decks with 4 Jaces instead of 4 looters. You'll see the difference, even if he just dies to removal, because that removal has to be spent on Jace, whereas Merfolk Looter can largely be ignored and your main threats killed instead.
1 week ago
Horrible. Gifts Ungiven decks get butchered by Eldrazi, and are generally too slow to beat aggro. Until the meta becomes not-that, it will struggle.
1 week ago
Okay... So from what I understand, decks like affinity, infect, jund, and junk are all pretty good match ups. I'm guessing that bad match ups which you don't have that much hate for in the sideboard would include lantern control, gifts control decks, token strategies which includes elves and Merfolk, and... Probably Kiki chord.
For the most part, it doesn't seem like you struggle that much with graveyard based decks, unless they are combo based, so maybe if dredgevine and griselhoard see an increase the spellbomb would be good but to me it just feels like its in here to be in here. This is the card I will be offering replacements for.
For lantern, something like Damping Matrix could help. It also helps against Bx eldrazi and tron (sort of).
Slaughter Games also seems good. It can handle te newlamoggs in both eldrazi match ups, can take care of lords in the creature flood match ups, can get rid of all copies of Chord of Calling for Kiki chord and Gifts Ungiven against gifts control to shut down the consistency of both decks, and is just generically good against any up and coming rogue combo brews.
That's all I have for now. I'll keep digging and see if anything else jumps out at me.
Printings View all
|From the Vault: Exiled||Mythic Rare|
|Champions of Kamigawa||Rare|
- Gifts Ungiven + Griselbrand + Unburial Rites
- Gifts Ungiven + Tarmogoyf + Vengevine
- Gifts Ungiven + Realms Uncharted
- Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite + Gifts Ungiven + Unburial Rites
- Gifts Ungiven + Iona, Shield of Emeria + Unburial Rites
- Gifts Ungiven + Noxious Revival
- Gifts Ungiven + Unburial Rites
- Gifts Ungiven + Life from the Loam