From the Ashes
Destroy all nonbasic lands. For each land destroyed this way, its controller may search his or her library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield. Then each player who searched his or her library this way shuffles it.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
From the Ashes Discussion
1 day ago
1 week ago
I'm still intrigued by the deck and have come back to it a few times this week to ponder on it. After doing so I have a few questions and thoughts:
- Sphere of Safety seems quite weak/expensive if you run only 8 enchantments. I wonder if you ever considered switching that out. Aurification or Academy Rector come to mind as a viable alternatives.
- Boros Fury-Shield seems to fit the brief. Did you exclude that one? If so, what made you not include it?
- Could you explain the reasons why you are running Lotus Vale, Scorched Ruins and no basics in this deck? The only benefit apart from mana fixing I see is that it helps to mitigate damage from Acidic Soil (not so much Price of Progress as basics would also do that), but that seems like a small gain to me against the risk of losing 3-4 lands to a Strip Mine or perhaps even auto-conceding in the event of a Wave of Vitriol, From the Ashes, Ruination, Blood Moon or Back to Basics. It seems like an unnecessary built-in achilles heel of the deck. Could you share if there is more to that than I can see atm?
- It seems like the reactive strategy you are going for requires a certain ratio of instants/flash cards to work well. Has this been factor in your tweaking and if so, what would be your advised minimum or sweet spot %?
- If you like the broken blade, you might like Baneslayer Angel and/or Exalted Angel for the same reasons. But maybe their too high cmc for your taste.
- Have you ever considered Electropotence or Warstorm Surge as a means to discourage people from steeling monarch? Else you can let your deathtouch token destroy another creature as it enters the battlefield. Probably not good enough to make the cut, but still a fun interaction with deathtouch I wanted to mention.
2 weeks ago
So, from what you have currently listed, I'm interested in the following:
I am also interested in the pack foil Qasali Pridemage over the promo one if you have it. I would heavily prefer to trade, but am not opposed to finishing out the trade with a few bucks if need be. LEt me know if we can work something out, thanks!
2 months ago
How many cards can you think of that are mean to "mean" players? I want to build a deck that forces opponents to win in "fair ways", and I'd love help finding cards for a deck like this!
Using MagicalHacker - List of All Anti-Tutor Cards, MagicalHacker - List of All Gold-Hate Cards, MagicalHacker - List of All Anti-Infinite Cards, and MagicalHacker - List of All Anti-Control Cards, I found these cards (organized by color):
Based on those cards, I think I'm going to build a gruul deck using Ruric Thar, the Unbowed as the commander or a cheap commander that can help ramp me into my cards (Radha, Heir to Keld). Some questions:
- Are there any other cards for gruul that you think would fit this theme?
- Are there any reasons to choose something other than gruul?
- If gruul is the best for this, what gruul commander should I use, and why?
3 months ago
Value lands are a major factor in my deck building. Rogue's Passage for any creature heavy deck. Arcane Lighthouse for more targeted removal strategies. Reliquary Tower where card draw is one of the major focuses. Yadda yadda yadda.
Two color decks have more basics because there's less concern about color fixing, and doubly so for mono colors.
4 months ago
Made some strength and curve changes.
Snow-Covered Mountain out for Boseiju, Who Shelters All: Making sure my Scrap Mastery or Blasphemous Act go off is really important if I am keeping priority and saccing in response. Without it I could cast it, sac in response, and then get counterspelled and have almost no boardstate left over.
Goblin King out for Gratuitous Violence: I've been wanting to fit this card in for a really long time. Even though Goblin King combos very well with Blood Moon, since I don't have any real pump spells for my Goblins besides Coat of Arms, I actually end up doing less damage overall. I could use Goblin King as a finisher, but Gratuitous Violence gives me a bigger boost, regardless of when it comes out. Sideboarding Goblin King for now, in case I do want to add him in just as a finisher later.
Snow-Covered Mountain out for Stranglehold: This puts me down two lands total from where I was, but it gives me a ton more control over the battlefield. I didn't realize it's potency before, until I realized it included cracking fetches as well. This actually makes me consider running From the Ashes instead of Ruination in my future MLD additions.
I will have to playtest a lot more to see if I took out too many basic lands, or added too many non-basics, but with all the ramp and mana rocks I should be okay.
Still looking for ways to get sideboard cards into the deck, but as it stands the deck is more consistent and stronger than ever.
6 months ago
I decided to steer away from From the Ashes. I find that most non-HD decks run enough basics that it does not punish them enough. I chose to attack mana rocks with Pulverize, but that increased my Mountain count. I think my list focuses more on Omnath token beats with disruption, while yours punishes the enemy for everything.
6 months ago
I also agree with Gates88 on that Omnath list. The first thing I noticed was lack of Mana Crypt; second thing I noticed was the 3.89 average cmc. Very few instants to boot. I honestly doubt that person even owns the list, probably just theorycrafted it, putting in all the cards they know to be good based on the price like Gaea's Cradle and Taiga, and maybe plays it on cockatrice against 7-drop tribal decks. Very few instants, very few ways to do anything if there's a Zur or Tazri player setting up. I hope the harshness of my criticism isn't too overdone. But anyway, I'm going to give a hard no on that list until I see more interactive things like Nature's Claim, Mana Crypt, Trinisphere, Blood Moon, Ruination, From the Ashes, etc.