|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Born of the Gods (BNG)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dragon
: Forgestoker Dragon deals 1 damage to target creature. That creature can't block this combat. Activate this ability only if Forgestoker Dragon is attacking.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (31)||Caldazar , Vasbear1 , Pelli , jstn.mrrtt , KingOfGrixis , vashaclarens , Va1mar , Cazaz0816 , saj0219 , Myllyes314 , FALLEN-X-ANGEL , philktoken8998 , Regulus1010 , bradyofportdetroit , REV666 , Tiddilywinkus , Lindough , LoneCrusader399 , Antiat , Kravian , ThisIsBullshit , ChainerDragon65 , Rez09 , joshw335 , GoldGhost012 , johnsongrantr , Spinalripper , mziter501 , Lander , MlgMan67 , Epidilius|
|Want (4)||PopeJonIII , yerfdog1935 , kovellen , snowmaster55555atgmaildotcom|
Forgestoker Dragon Discussion
1 week ago
I like this deck a lot. I found a Lathliss, Dragon Queen in the most recent pack I opened, and it made me want to make a Commander deck out of it. I mostly play 60 card Casual, though, and this looks a lot like the deck I had in mind, translated to Casual. You seem to have covered the bases well.
As to suggestions, check out my Ruric Thar, May I? deck. It operates on a nearly all creature basis, but it's Green-Red like this one and runs Forgestoker Dragon, which would fit well here. Inferno Titan is a major player too. They combo soooo well with Nightshade Peddler to clear a path to victory or just remove the creatures that are hurting you. Ogre Battledriver can help with Haste. Orcish Lumberjack is awesome ramp, though you'd want to shift to a few more Forests if you run that.
2 months ago
Looking at this one again lately for possible upgrades. I'm considering the following changes.
The point of the changes is to get the most important elements of the deck out more quickly and reliably.
8 months ago
Lands: Take out 2 Mountains, Stone Quarry, Cinder Barrens, and Forsaken Sanctuary and maybe the Guildgates if you want and add in at least one plains, Haven of the Spirit Dragon, any of the life gain dual lands from Tarkir... just use better duals than the strictly-worse guildgates. I have a personal issue with those lands. They insulted "Avatar the Last Airbender" once.
Things to pull: Ancient Hellkite works to slow, requires to much investment, and is too conditional. Forgestoker Dragon cuz it's clunky and slow compared to other things. (A lot of these suggestions will be cutting the worst of duplicate effects). Aegis Angel (above reason)? Wojek Embermage? Paragon of Open Graves cuz you don't have enough black to make its ability work. Scalding Salamander is too conditional. Either Vulshok Sorcerer or Blood Cultist. Crossbow Infantry. Stun Sniper. Painsmith because not enough artifacts.
Artifacts: That Which Was Taken cuz it's also too slow.
11 months ago
I will look at taking out Crucible of Fire for Quicksilver Amulet and Broodmate Dragon for Scalelord Reckoner. they shouldn't affect too much except adding some more white, which I think my current mana base can handle. Would Consign to Dust and/or Primeval Light suffice for enchantment/artifact hate? I know one is slow, but I would love you thoughts on these.
I feel like Steel Hellkite Siege Dragon Forgestoker Dragon Ryusei, the Falling Star Scourge of Valkas Deathbringer Regent Silumgar, the Drifting Death and Dragon Tempest give me a lot of pseudo wipes. I was looking to Merciless Eviction at some point because Indestructable is always a problem.
With all the ramp I have, Dragonstorm has been a game ender with Dragon Tempest and/or Ramos, Dragon Engine. I usually grab Scourge of Valkas, Broodmate Dragon, and whoever else I need for the situation. Usually it storms 3 times.
I would love a Bloodstained Mire, Wooded Foothills and Verdant Catacombs. Right now I'm running Rocky Tar Pit, Mountain Valley, and Bad River for budget reasons. I also want to put it a Cavern of Souls for Ancient Ziggurat
Into the Wilds really ramps! That is awesome, thank you for telling me!
You definitely seem more experienced then me so I hope keep bouncing ideas back and forth. This is SUPER helpful!
1 year ago
I really need to add the Fierce Empaths here. This deck is all about getting Ruric Thar, the Unbowed onto the field as soon as possible and doing nice effects through creatures alone. While, as of this posting, Fierce Empath can find me only 7 cards (2x Forgestoker Dragon, 2x Inferno Titan, and 3x Ruric Thar, the Unbowed), these represent half of the current set of beaters in the deck and generally are the cards I most want to make sure I find. Just getting Ruric Thar, the Unbowed out ASAP is already worth the inclusion of Fierce Empath. Another advantage I see in doing this is that it would possibly allow me to move 1 each of Forgestoker Dragon and Inferno Titan to the sideboard, dropping the mana curve a bit, though that may be a bad idea.
The deck could use help to more quickly find the creatures and land it needs, and it could use improved ramp to be able to do more than one big thing at a time.
Now, how to make room?
2 years ago
Version 1.3 is here!
In this version i removed a copy of each temple from the cube to encourage the use of mono colored and duo colored decks rather then 3 colored ones. I swapped out the temples in favour for:
This To give all colours an equal amount of cards since i added Chained to the rocks before and also buff some of the color combinations that is currently struggeling. I added in The 3 unknown shores for additional fixing that also works better with aggro decks since they where a bit slow with the temples.
2 years ago
Hey! You've got some cool choices in here that I haven't seen in a while. However, I would try to shift your focus from some of these cards to cards with generically more value.
Before doing anything, however, I must recommend looking at your banned cards listed, including Upheaval and Prophet of Kruphix. These two cards are banned in EDH and should be removed immediately if you're serious about playing EDH.
Here are the weakest cards in your deck:
- Seek the Horizon: Adding lands to your hand instead of ramping them straight to the battlefield is a mistake. Definitely switch out for cards resembling your Explosive Vegetation. For example, Harrow, Ranger's Path, Skyshroud Claim.
- Bountiful Harvest: Having some life gain is an okay choice, but not a 5-mana investment like this. Check out Nissa's Renewal and Pulse of Murasa. They each provide some value alongside the lifegain so you don't feel like you're wasting a turn gaining an amount of life that will likely by irrelevant.
- Ashcloud Phoenix: Lacks impact. It's just a 4/1 that honestly isn't that scary. Compare this to your Acidic Slime that hits the field and instantly matters by destroying something relevant! You can play more cards like that in the form of Reclamation Sage (or Caustic Caterpillar if your opponents often use Torpor Orb) or perhaps Woodfall Primus. Alternatively, I would even recommend considering Sarkhan Unbroken instead, since it ramps, draws, makes 4/4 dragons, and has a pretty sweet ultimate for your deck.
- Avalanche Tusker: This kind of just seems like a removal spell for 5 mana. Why not just play a versitile removal spell like Song of the Dryads, Cyclonic Rift, or Beast Within? I'm actually very shocked that I'm not seeing Cyclonic Rift in this list.
- Destructor Dragon: I'm not seeing you abusing this particularly. I don't see a Birthing Pod to sacrifice it, nor do I see any way to reanimate it. Maybe just Frost Titan or Deadeye Navigator instead? If you're heartset on a flyer for this slot, consider Dragonmaster Outcast or Hornet Queen. Both seem to be much more powerful in the grand scheme.
- Forgestoker Dragon: It's okay. I'd probably just rather have a Steel Hellkite.
- Polukranos, World Eater: The reason I'm picking away at all of these big stompy creatures is because EDH doesn't always have to do with creatures, and if you focus your deck on winning the creature fight too much, you might find yourself ill-prepared for the more common noncreature fights in EDH. Imagine if this was just a Scavenging Ooze. Ooze would give you better game against reanimator strategies, since even now you have pretty much nothing against that. Also, Ooze gets very give and gives you a good amount of lifegain. It cuts off your opponent's Eternal Witness and flashback effects.
- Soul of Zendikar: This just needs to be Woodland Bellower or Avenger of Zendikar honestly. Even Wort, the Raidmother would be more impressive.
- Thunderbreak Regent: Depending on how many dragons you cut, this might not be worth running. For the most part, in EDH, a creature needs to hit the board and either knock out a threat immediately (like with Woodfall Primus), or have amazing value (like with Consecrated Sphinx), or perhaps just be more impactful like with Craterhoof Behemoth. Thunderbreak doesn't really offer impact, don't offer card advantage, and isn't that scary in a 40 life game. Unfortunately, you have to assume that in the average game, the board is going to get wiped about every 3 turns. Wrath of God, Merciless Eviction, Supreme Verdict, Final Judgment, Terminus etc... sweepers are powerful and plentiful in EDH. Thunderbreak Regent isn't scaring anyone.
- Icy Blast: This should just be Frost Titan.
Some great choices you've made!
- Temur Ascendancy: This is one card that I can really get behind. Imagine it with Omnath, Locus of Rage. I would recommend also checking out Elemental Bond and Garruk's Packleader for similar effects.
- Warstorm Surge: This card is just fantastic and extremely useful/threatening. Great choice.
- Cultivate: This card is excellent, as well as its cousin reprint Kodama's Reach.
- Chord of Calling: A staple honestly. Good choice. I can also recommend Green Sun's Zenith, Genesis Wave, and Woodland Bellower.
- Acidic Slime: Very impactful, great when flickered in some way like with Conjurer's Closet or Deadeye Navigator.
- Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind: I personally like this card a lot, and would recommend Keen Sense for the combo wombo if you're into that kinda thing.
- Maelstrom Wanderer: This card is broken af.
- Eternal Witness: This is my personal favorite card. If you like it too, you might consider Greenwarden of Murasa or Regrowth.
- Yavimaya Elder: I like this one, though I usually prefer Wood Elves on account of it being easier to cast and actually ramps the land.
Cards you should try and get ahold of.
- Green Sun's Zenith
- Life from the Loam
- Woodfall Primus
- Deadeye Navigator (very overpowered, some people don't like using this)
- Cyclonic Rift (mildly overpowered)
- Sarkhan Unbroken
- Reclamation Sage
- Mina and Denn, Wildborn
- Omnath, Locus of Rage
- Tooth and Nail (super overpowered, some people are against using this)
- Drop of Honey (hard to find)
- Oracle of Mul Daya
- Greater Good
- Carpet of Flowers (for competitive pods with lots of blue meta)
- Pyroblast / Red Elemental Blast more for that blue meta
- Defense of the Heart
- Progenitor Mimic
- Birthing Pod
- Evolutionary Leap
Good luck with the deck!
2 years ago
i would suggest getting rid of Forgestoker Dragon for Balefire Dragon its a good boardwipe when you're able to give it doublestrike. Kaalia's Having a Party is my deck if you need ideas. also maybe Sorin Markov for reducing life totals from 40 to 10