|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Cleric
Cleric spells you cast cost (White)(Black) less to cast. This effect reduces only the amount of colored mana you pay. (For example, if you cast a Cleric spell with mana cost 1(White), it costs 1 to cast.)
2 months ago
2 months ago
needs more cleric tribal - I'd ditch the backup Orzhov subtheme ( Basilica Screecher , Crypt Ghast , Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts , & Tithe Taker ) and probably the Regal Bloodlord for some cleric support: Akroma's Devoted , Battlefield Medic , Battletide Alchemist , and Daru Spiritualist come to mind for that. Edgewalker is a must for the colors, and I'd probably ditch the monuments and obilisk of urd for more clerics - Alms Collector and Bygone Bishop give decent card draw, Eight-and-a-Half-Tails , Giver of Runes and Mother of Runes offer amazing protection for your field. Frontline Medic and Selfless Spirit offer indistrucbablity for your own wipes. Sin Collector offers good andi-countermagic / tide-turner removal. High Priest of Penance is just amazing with the recusion this deck should have. Rotlung Reanimator turns all clerics into double duty sac fodder, and Priest of Forgotten Gods , Yawgmoth, Thran Physician , and Whisper, Blood Liturgist are more than happy to supply that role, with Skirsdag High Priest backing them up. and Weathered Wayfarer pulls the same job as Land Tax , but can fetch non-basics, and is a cleric.
5 months ago
you probably want at least 5 more Shadowborn Apostle
Secret Salvage fills your hand with Apostles
Razaketh, the Foulblooded tutes for anything
6 months ago
Now, my spellbook?
Forced Adaptation : through my time as a magic player, I have been... well, forced to adapt. For my first several years, the only people I had to play with were markedly wealthier than I and knew more about the game, having played with players of a level I did not have access to. I had to get tricky to stand a chance, and tricky I got! Not only that, but counters is one of my favorite archetypes to play, and I have built many a variant over the years (I think 5-8 just on my account), as you’ll see is consistent with several strategies down the line.
Meren of Clan Nel Toth : I tried to four or five different aristocrat decks, which I likely put together and took apart a total of a dozen times or more. Aristocrats is another favorite of mine, though I’ve brewed comparatively few. The one that remains? My Meren brew. She has served me well- so well, in fact, that outside of competitive settings I no longer play her.
Bloodhall Priest : I still remember the day that I laid eyes on a madness deck the first time and thought “being empty-handed can be a good thing?”, and something just connected. I don’t have my madness deck anymore, I sent it to a new player that I got into the game. Hope she’s enjoying it.
Roon of the Hidden Realm : bounce is another one of my favorite strategies, and I’ve never seen a commander who does it like Roon. Who’s got the boons to make you swoon? It’s Roon. It’s Roon.
Vigean Hydropon : represents my current +1 counter deck: my two-headed giant variant. I LOVE this brew, and no one sees the grafts coming.
Zurgo Helmsmasher : represents my current politics deck. Like a couple other strategies, I have thrown everything at the wall to see what sticks with this, and my current edition I call “Zurgo Backswing”, lovingly nicknamed “swing bitch, I dare ya”. I suspect it may be fairly similar to your Queen Marchesa deck, ShutUpMokuba.
Jace, Memory Adept : mill is an archetype near and dear to my heart. My second deck was a mill, and it was terrible, but I knew that one day I would finally mill someone out- that eventually my work would be completed. Well, nowadays I have no mill deck, but I think I might brew one in 2hg- mix in a little pillow fort...
Sygg, River Cutthroat : and finally, one of my favorite commanders ever. This deck is truly a thing of beauty. She has draw for days, removal, spelljack, mill, everything a blue/black player could ask for. I love her dearly.
6 months ago
I love this deck and the lifegain scheme. Consider maybe Edgewalker so that your commander becomes free and replaying your commander each time she dies will remain cheap for a long time. Too, most of your other clerics too will be free to play or cost 1 colorless. Then also think about Victimize in order to replay the ones you sacrifice to your commander's effect. You're running a lot of sacrifice-your-own-creature effects so you'll need ways to get more creatures on the board, not only to sacrifice, but to block opponent attacks you don't want to take. To that end, I'd probably take out Barrier of Bones and maybe look at putting up some flying deathtouch creatures, so that your opponents aren't hitting you and triggering their own win cons in doing so. There's nothing like hiding behind a wall of deathtouch while you drain & lifegain without ever having to attack. :)
6 months ago
Hey, welcome to TappedOut :) Saw your forum topic asking for help. Very nice first deck. I'm here to give advice therefore I'm going to suggest a lot of upgrades. I hope this doesn't upset you as this is by no means a slight on your deck building.
Orzhov is a really hot guild right now for causal Commander because of Teysa Karlov. Tymna is one of the best Orzhov creatures in Commander, but to abuse her ability you want evasive creatures because they have to do combat damage to opponents to draw cards. Consider expanding on the theme of tokens, Spirit tokens (afterlife) and other flying tokens/creatures? Tokens are good with Teysa as well as Ravos since he's an anthem. Teysa gives tokens lifelink which is helpful to regain life after losing it to draw from Tymna.
Budget cards ($4 or less each) to consider adding:
- Caves of Koilos
- Tainted Field
- Reliquary Tower : staple land, no max hand size is helpful when playing and utilizing Tynma as well as Skullclamp.
- Luminarch Ascension : powerful card in multiplayer Commander since it looks at each opponent's end step. Repeatable source of 4/4 flying tokens is amazing.
- Doomed Traveler : combines with Skullclamp and Teysa to draw lots of cards.
- Tithe Taker : same as Traveler as well as makes it harder for your opponents to cast spells or activate abilities during your turn.
- Aven Mindcensor : staple white creature, tutors are a huge part of Commander this prevents your opponents from using them effectively. Flying helps with Tynma.
- Reveillark : staple white creature, combos with Karmic Guide and is very good with Teysa. Can reanimate Teysa/Tynma as well as creatures with afterlife. Good with recursion of Ravos.
- Karmic Guide : staple white creature, combos with Reveillark to reanimate lots of 2 or less power creatures. Good with recursion of Ravos.
- Spectral Procession
- Lingering Souls
- Blind Obedience : helps to clear away some blockers to do combat damage to opponents. Mana rocks are huge part of Commander and this prevents your opponents from using rocks the turn they play them. Extort is nice to gain some life and make opponents lose life.
- Spirit Bonds : repeatable way to make flying tokens.
- Edgewalker : Tymna and Ravos are Clerics this reduces their mana costs. Tymna costs only one mana and Ravos three mana. There's also a lot of other Clerics here.
- Pitiless Plunderer : creates treasures, very good with Teysa and a sac outlet. Works with tokens.
- Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim : sac outlet and repeatable exile. With Edgewalker she's free to cast.
- Soul Warden : gain life when creatures ETB (enter the battlefield) even opponents creatures, tokens ETB when they're created.
- Soul's Attendant : same as Warden.
- Sun Titan : staple white creature, reanimate any 3 or less permanent when ETB or attacks is great.
- Swords to Plowshares : staple white removal, exile is very helpful in Commander.
- Crush Contraband : exiling any two artifacts or enchantments at instant speed for four mana is good.
- Orzhov Signet : two drop mana rock.
Can add all these cards for about $25. All for less than one Demonic Tutor , haha :)
Cards to consider cutting:
- Orzhov Guildgate
- New Benalia
- Forge of Heroes
- Basilica Bell-Haunt
- Ghost Council of Orzhova
- Loyal Unicorn
- Necrotic Ooze
- Regal Bloodlord
- Skeletal Vampire
- Syndicate Guildmage
- Visara the Dreadful
- Butcher of Malakir
- Hero of Precinct One
- Pitiless Pontiff
- Perpetual Timepiece
- Blessing of Leeches
- Open the Graves
- Consecrate / Consume
- In Garruk's Wake
- Pull from Eternity
- Sorin, Grim Nemesis
Good luck with your deck.
7 months ago
Hey, nice casual deck.
Shadowborn Apostle are more Clerics who can cheat a Demon onto the battlefield and you can have any amount of Apostles in your deck. Edgewalker lets you play all one drop Clerics for free as well as reducing the mana cost of all your other Clerics. Immortal Servitude is a powerful way to reanimate all Apostles/Supplicants/Mother/Wayfarer for four mana.
Edgewalker occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%