Creature — Hippo
When Defiant Greatmaw enters the battlefield, put two -1/-1 counters on target creature you control.
Whenever you put one or more -1/-1 counters on Defiant Greatmaw, remove a -1/-1 counter from another creature you control.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Defiant Greatmaw Discussion
6 days ago
Hey cool deck, I actually also have a Hapatra deck in the works and it's been through many revisions. Here are a couple of suggestions I have.
Not sure that Rhonas's Monument truly belongs here, for the simple reason that more than half (11/18) of your creatures aren't green (Hapatra is gold). I like the Monument but not sure for this particular deck.
Shed Weakness, I toyed with using this card, and decided that removing -1 counters from my creatures wasn't really a priority- most of them have a mechanic to remove em themselves or you're just dropping them onto a Festering Mummy (or Soulstinger). If anything Hapatra's Mark is definitely better.
I found Splendid Agony to be a bit weak, so I would recommend putting in Murder or some other budget removal because it always comes in so handy- compensate for the lost -1/-1 synergy by including more creatures that drop them when they enter the battlefield. Defiant Greatmaw, Exemplar of Strength, Soulstinger could all potentially fit your curve. Maybe you could even find a way to use Decimator Beetle.
What I found was that for this deck to be as powerful as you'd like it to be, it needs to be a bit heavier on creature count, so I'd recommend anywhere in the 22-24 range.
I'd love if you checked out my deck, called 'Call The Exterminator'. You might get a couple ideas from looking at that especially for what to think about in the sideboard.
1 week ago
monoblack79 Thanks for the advice. I will definitely consider the alternatives if I want to stay mono black.
Do you guys think that it is a good idea to take some of my weaker cards out and replace them with green creatures since I have quite a few -1/-1 green creatures with me, including Crocodile of the Crossing, Defiant Greatmaw and Ornery Kudu. I also have dual lands and Evolving Wilds to go in there.
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
Quick question here: Have you considered running Baleful Ammit and Defiant Greatmaw. I only ask cause im currently in the midst of building this deck because I love the idea and I have quite a few of the cards. I was thinking you could run the Ammit in the sideboard just in case you need lifegain and the Greatmaw for negative counter control on your end, just in case its a long game and you need to remove counters. It also adds to your Soulstinger too and triggers Hapatra for more snakes. Anyways great deck +1 from me!
4 weeks ago
Love the deck's strategy. I think you could benefit from switching out Defiant Greatmaw with Scrapheap Scrounger. You want to have easy -1/-1 targets for Revolt, and Scrounger does that for you. Turn 2 Scrounger into Turn 3 Exemplar of Strength + Turn 3 Narnam Renegade with triggered Revolt. Then you've got a Scrounger sitting in the yard waiting for something else to die. It doesn't look like you've got much recursion happening, so exiling things from the yard to get your Scrounger back isn't a steep price to pay. Exile something, Scrounger returns, and the whole cycle starts again.
You may also consider adding 1 or 2 Decimator of the Provinces to the 75. It's a great finisher and since your creatures want to die anyway the Emerge cost isn't too bad. Triple green is rough, but if you manage to pay the triple green and sac a 4-drop then Decimator comes down on turn 5 as a 7/7 trample/haste that gives all of your creatures (including itself) a mini Overrun. That's asking a lot, and most people won't have an answer.
1 month ago
So I love the green cards of Amonkhet, especially Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons and Honored Hydra, and I'd like to build a block-constructed deck around Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons and negative counters. Here's what I've come up with so far : [AKH only] Hapatra -1/-1.
- Play Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons turn 2, Channeler Initiate/Defiant Greatmaw/Nest of Scarabs turn 3 to overwhelm the board with Snake and Insects tokens.
- Play Archfiend of Ifnir turn 5 to make more counters with Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons.
- Cycling is used only for placing and triggering Archfiend of Ifnir. That's why there are 4 of them (which makes 3 potential cycling cards after 1 has been played), and 3x Stinging Shot. I chose the later because there's not much to defend yourself against flyers but I put Dissenter's Deliverance in sideboard for possible artifacts.
- No 2x Rhonas the Indomitable, it costs too much atm. I'd be open to suggestion for 1x Rhonas the Indomitable and 1x Bontu the Glorified (I think it should be easy to enable Bontu) but not 2x Rhonas the Indomitable.
- Block-constructed, Amonkhet cards only please.
- I'm not one for splashing but if there's very little of it and it doesn't change the core of the deck, why not splash with Red.
Needs help with
- Cards distribution : is 4x Crocodile of the Crossing too much, 2x Honored Hydra too little. How should I balance my cards ?
- Cards viability : some of them I'm not sure about. Should I go with Shed Weakness or Hapatra's Mark. Why not add Splendid Agony or Plague Belcher, I don't really know.
- Mana base : I'm not sure how many lands I got to have. I think half Swamp and half Forest is vital for playing Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons turn 2.
1 month ago
Guerte: I see your point with regards to Harbinger of Night, definitely, but he also eats your opponents' boards and gives a HUGE number of snakes in exchange. Defiant Greatmaw, Ring of Xathrid, Blade of the Bloodchief, etc allow Hapatra to survive his sweep. He's proven himself several times in my games so far.
1 month ago
Hey, I'm building a deck similar to this one. BesidesHapatra, Vizier of Poisons I would also run Nest of Scarabs. Maybe include Manglehorn in the sideboard since its good not only against any deck running important artifacts, but also against the Saheeli combo (cat clones are also artifacts). Key to the City is another nice way to discard cards, makes your big beefy creatures unblockable and can even draw you cards if you need to. Other than that I'd take out Defiant Greatmaw and replace it for either Baleful Ammit or Crocodile of the Crossing. As MadMadison said, Shefet Monitor is also not a great card son this deck so I'd probably take that one out too and replace it with another Archfiend of Ifnir and some other creature I've already suggested. Also, Dissenter's Deliverance is a rather specific card so I would sideboard it instead of including it on the main deck. Other than that, the deck seems pretty fun to play. Hope my advice helped you :)