Creature — Insect
When Decimator Beetle enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature you control.
Whenever Decimator Beetle attacks, remove a -1/-1 counter from target creature you control and put a -1/-1 counter on up to one target creature defending player controls.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Decimator Beetle Discussion
1 week ago
About the 1/1 that comes from Nest of Scarabs, they can hold the game far enought to your finishers take the game - or they can be finishers itself (not rarely the table become full of them. And by "full" I mean like 10, 12; A single Channeler Initiate with 2 nests in game generates 6 tokens. Westvale Abbey Flip can be easily added in a 2-color deck as yours, using the little 1/1 bastards to transform it.
The cartouche and Trials combo has beem proved not worthy - except in limited formats. The possibility is nice, but in a meta full of fast spot removals, its a risk that we cant afford. But, its just my opinion.
I understood the artifacts point. But I think they are underwhelming cards if compared with others cards with same CMC in your deck. And can be a terrible topdeck. Example: in average, what do you prefer to draw in 4th turn; a Kalitas or a Oracle's Vault? A Kalitas is a good draw when you are ahead or behind in game. Oracle's Vault is better in a very, very specific situation. So, this kind of card only should be used (in a competitive enviroment) in a very, very specific shell. And I dont believe this one is. Sorry if I sound rude or arrogant.
Making a wrap-up, as you asked for, look for these kind of cards (underwhelming). I think;
Oracle's Vault (too situational), Bontu's Monument (life loss at too slow rate), Liliana's Influence (too expensive) can be replaced for better cards, as Liliana, the Last Hope or Ob Nixilis Reignited.
Increase the number of lands.
2 weeks ago
Thanks for the suggestions, Fecundity was a recent cut and for some reason Phyrexian Arena never came to mind. As for Plaguemaw Beast and Decimator Beetle, I'm not looking to increase my average cmc very much and the meta I play in doesn't usually have enough creatures that one or two counters won't kill.
2 weeks ago
From what you've said, it seems your problem is card draw, so I'll suggest some cards to remedy that. Phyrexian Arena is a black staple for a very good reason. If Hapatra's making enough tokens, Fecundity and Evolutionary Leap can help you cash them in for better cards. Since you're running 29 creatures, a Lifecrafter's Bestiary may also help a lot. Adding in a Meren of Clan Nel Toth can also give you indirect card advantage by getting back dead stuff.
Besides card draw stuff, I'd also suggest ou put Decimator Beetle in there. Note that you don't HAVE to remove a counter from one of your creatures for his seconds ability to put a counter on another creature. And Putrefy is a good versatile removal.
3 weeks ago
Anyone who tries to play Decimator Beetle in standard has my undying respect. I've always felt like something could be done to make this theme very competitive, and I'm sure this can be made so as well - but in the meantime, great budget brew with thoughtful card choices!
3 weeks ago
O Decimator Beetle eu colocaria no main deck, o side eu deixaria esses que so situacionais, por exemplo o Cut / Ribbons, Abrade e Heaven / Earth. Reviving Melody eu tiraria fora. Agora no vou conseguir indicar cards para substitulos, ento vamos para as lands.
1 Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep, 1 Kher Keep, 1 Stensia Bloodhall, 1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse, 1 Grove of the Burnwillows, 1 Raging Ravine, 1 Hissing Quagmire1 Canyon Slough, 1 Sheltered Thicket, 2 Bloodstained Mire, 2 Wooded Foothills4 Blood Crypt, 1 Stomping Ground, 1 Overgrown Tomb, 1 Temple of Malady, 1 Temple of Abandon, 1 Temple of Malice
1 month ago
A few things I've noticed while messing with a similar GB counter deck.
- Decimator Beetle feels like garbage every time he's in my hand. I'm already worried about sweepers and the highest costing card coming in at 3/4 stats isn't exciting.
- Crocodile of the Crossing could be a replacement to Tenacious Hunter. A hasted 4/3 that generates a -1/-1 counter impacts the board. A 4/4 potential deathtoucher doesn't appear scary when snakes already fill that role.
- Channeler Initiate rarely feels like a dead card. He protects against getting land screwed, usually eats removal, and triggers both Nest of Scarabs & Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons.
- Westvale Abbey Flip, even as a singleton, can go a long way. It gives those 1/1 tokens a purpose going late and is great against removal. Channeler + the 3 scarabs he creates gets close by iteslf.
- Obelisk Spider has been going back and fourth. It has an interesting effect and 4 toughness is always welcome. The spider, unfortunately, doesn't have an immediate impact and the deck is already tight at the 3 cmc spot. Banewhip Punisher falls into the same position.
- Lethal Sting, as well as most of the instants, feel clunky. I consider mulliganing when two of them are in my opening hand and they are dead on an empty board.
Overall, I'm worried about the deck's consistency and how it stacks against others.
1 month ago
If I understand correctly, playing Noxious Hatchling with Nest of Scarabs out gives me four insect tokens, and potentially much more due to Wither. Phyrexian Hydra gives me tokens both when it deals and takes damage. In comparison, Decimator Beetle seems kind of underwhelming, especially since keeping Ammit Eternal isn't really a priority.
I would instantly include four copies of Dusk Urchins if I had them, but unfortunately the card is a little expensive
Necroskitter definitely deserves consideration, though I'd probably have to take out creatures that ultimately generate far more tokens that it does.
1 month ago
Dusk Urchins could give some additional card draw
Lastly maybe Necroskitter needs to find a spot in the deck too