Artifact Creature — Construct
When Corridor Monitor enters the battlefield, untap target artifact or creature you control.
Printings View all
|Throne of Eldraine (ELD)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Corridor Monitor Discussion
1 month ago
Your average converted mana cost is low enough to go to 33 or 34 if you had mana dorks.
- Holdout Settlement and Survivors' Encampment are just Springleaf Drum on lands. These are reasonable, depending on how hard your game plans need Kalamax or not.
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter: Rashmi is incremental advantage. You and both know that you are going to play cards on other people’s turns, so why not get free stuff for doing so? Wavebreak Hippocamp does the same thing if you want more of this effect.
- Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic, Arbor Elf, Priest of Titania, Rattleclaw Mystic. I prefer creature-based ramp if I’m playing . Most of these cards will Pod into Corridor Monitor, Deceiver Exarch, and Pestermite.
- Spellseeker: Spellseeker grabs most of the instants and sorceries in your deck and more food for Prime Speaker
- Torrential Gearhulk: Snapcaster Mage #2 aka Fatcaster mage. The 5/6 body is nice for when games go longer than expected.
- Thing in the Ice
Flip: I noticed that you don’t have ways to protect yourself. If played earlier, you can flip Thing in the Ice and reset that battlefield. It was dumb in other formats, it’s dumb in EDH as well.
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun: End-game beater and a storm card. Not necessary but strong.
- Creature Tutors: Finale of Devastation, Eldritch Evolution, and Neoform. More tutors for consistency.
Instants and Sorceries
- Reality Shift and Rapid Hybridization: Good removal outside of and . Do you really care about a 3/3 beast or a 2/2 manifest token? I don’t……
- Manamorphose: Just a good cantrip in Temur.
- Swan Song: Another good counter spell, but you have that covered pretty well. Once again, no one cares about one 2/2 bird….no one…
- Reiterate: Goes infinite with Turnabout and Dramatic Reversal and or more mana. However, I think Isochron Scepter is just better if infinite mana is the goal.
- Nature's Lore: This is only and grabs any forest onto the battlefield. Most of the time, you are going to tutor for Forest, so why not grab Breeding Pool instead?
- Raging Ravine: Ok, it has your colors. Are you ever going to activate this man-land? Also, it comes in tapped. Gross….
- Arch of Orazca: I think Arch is better in decks that lack access to card draw. You’re in . Drawing cards, most of the time, is not going to be a problem for you.
- Frilled Mystic and Mystic Snake: I’ve fallen for this trap too. I don’t want to pay for a counterspell on a weak 2/2 body. Compare these two cards to other mana spells like Cryptic Command. This cards counters, protects, and draws cards. I prefer utility creatures with more flexibility.
2 months ago
4 months ago
4 months ago
The Guide is looking sweet, and super helpful, hope you update it with the new cards as I have yet to update mine cause I just got back into commander recently and your article just makes it sooo much easier.
As far as new cards go, just to name a few:
=== Theros Beyond Death (TBD) ===
· Thassa, Deep-Dwelling: Blink themed, but I don't like it that much in the 99 cards.
· Thassa's Oracle: could scry lots of cards and even win the game, she's pretty much a staple in a lot of blue decks.
· Kiora Bests the Sea God: token themed, 8/8 hexproof kraken looks good.
· Elspeth Conquers Death: exile effect with a bit of stax in the 2nd counter.
=== Throne of Eldraine (TOE) ===
· Charming Prince: 3 options to choose from, could be okay.
· Corridor Monitor: could be useful.
· Mirrormade: worse copy artifact, but useful.
Again, kudos for the guide, I will be waiting for the next update!
5 months ago
Hey I don't know if you are still updating this List, but I may have some ideas that may be an upgrade
Narset, Parter of Veils not exactly sure what to take out, but not let opponents draw is great
Shimmer Myr Better than Leyline in many cases, recurable with Emry
Soul-Guide Lantern Finally able to play artifact based onesided grave hate! Great new card
Riddlesmith would play rather than Vedalken Archmage. 2 Mana less und you have Grave access
Counterbalance really hard to Play against
Retract Save from Artifact Wipes, basically a Ritual with fast mana, triggering Archmage/Riddlesmith etc again on recast
Freed from the Real not a loop, but really good untapper
Drafna's Restoration at instant this would be way too good, but still very good card
Sensei's Divining Top Interactive, nearly unkillable, smooths draws
Tezzeret the Seeker Battlefield Tutor, 5 mana Reshape costs Boardpresence and finds 3 or less cmc (which is enough for combopieces) but Tezzi for 3 let's him stay on the Battlefield. Untapping Sol Ring and Vault e.g. with his +1 makes im nearly free
Corridor Monitor Not a good substitution for Mirran Spy or Chakram, but still usable. You can + on colorless mana as long as you have blue with KCI or Ashnods, as said, not nearly as good, but good enough to get some storm count to finish of opponents
I found this list from your Youtube video. Great work! I love the Budget Substitution at the end of the video. You do a really nice job with your channel! Keep going
5 months ago
VampiricJace I'm excited to see what you come up with!
Like I said, I think the real power from mono blue in the upcoming set with be the ridiculous late game threats that Cavalier of Gales , Vantress Gargoyle , and Thassa, Deep-Dwelling provide. I like the inclusion of Leyline of Anticipation as a free way to play at instant speed and devotion, which would end up being awesome against any flash/control deck.
Another option I didn't mention that I might see working out well is a big-mana strategy, using Agent of Treachery or Mass Manipulation . Not sure if that deck runs Thassa, Deep-Dwelling and chooses to go Simic ramp style instead, but blue devotion with Nyx Lotus paired with Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner and Corridor Monitor could be nasty.
5 months ago
I like the build, however I have a few comments regarding the overall play pattern of the deck.
In this build I would absolutely include all 4 copies of Thassa, Deep-Dwelling , with the goal being to complement 4 copies of both Thassa's Oracle and Cavalier of Gales . The ability to manipulate the top of your deck this much every end step with one of these combo pieces out is absurd. With the devotion and body from Cavalier of Gales , and huge body of Thassa, Deep-Dwelling , it gives you a way to win the game through attacking if the Thassa's Oracle plan doesn't come together quick enough. That being said, you would need to go up to somewhere around 25/26 lands to consistently hit your 4th and 5th land drops on time. I think this plan is much more powerful than playing Syr Elenora, the Discerning , so I would cut her.
I think the mix between instant speed spells and sorcery speed spells is a little awkward in this build, especially in the case of Wavebreak Hippocamp . On turn 3 you play your Wavebreak Hippocamp , however don't have mana open to cast a counterspell, card draw, or bounce spell to trigger it. Effectively you took your turn off by playing a low power creature, and left yourself open to a strong turn 4/5 play from your opponent. For this reason I would elect to choose 1 route or another, with the sorcery speed route being more strong in my opinion.
I would elect to play cards such as Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer , Vantress Gargoyle , Corridor Monitor , or even Queen of Ice in your lower curve slots. You want to be slowing your opponent down while you set up big mana plays, and all of those cards provide good effects to do so through blocking/tapping. Brazen Borrower works nicely with those effects, so I would keep that in for sure. Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner is an option to replace some of the card draw you would be lacking if you cut Glimpse of Freedom and Thirst for Meaning , as she would trigger from Vantress Gargoyle , Cavalier of Gales , and Thassa, Deep-Dwelling if you have the devotion. Plus her ability will help you ramp by untapping lands or your Nyx Lotus . Reducing the amount of instants would make cards like Narset, Parter of Veils and The Magic Mirror much worse so I would cut those in this type of build.
So to summarize, I would make sure to include the following:
- Vantress Gargoyle
- Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer
- Thassa, Deep-Dwelling
- Cavalier of Gales
- Castle Vantress + Island to get 25 lands
I would consider adding the following:
I would remove the following:
6 months ago
Hey, Emry, Lurker of the Loch combos with Corridor Monitor and Witch's Oven . Monitor can untap Emry or Oven, Oven can sac Monitor and Emry lets you cast Monitor from your graveyard. This combo lets you keep casting Monitor from your graveyard getting it's untap trigger when it ETB. Food tokens are artifacts and each time you sac Monitor with Oven you create two artifacts because Monitor has 4 toughness.
Sai, Master Thopterist is a powerful card with artifacts especially with the Emry/Monitor/Oven combo which can each turn make a lot of 1/1 Thopters since you cast Monitor from your graveyard with Emry. Sai is also another way to sac Monitor to draw. Aetherflux Reservoir can be a win condition with the Emry/Monitor/Oven combo because you're casing Monitor from your graveyard with Emry.