Counter target spell unless its controller pays (3).
Cycling (2)(Blue) ((2)(Blue), Discard this card: Draw a card.)
When you cycle Complicate, you may counter target spell unless its controller pays (1).
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
2 months ago
6 months ago
Oh, and there's Akroma's Blessing, Akroma's Vengeance, angel song, Choking Tethers, Complicate, Decree of Justice, and the list goes on. Those were just more suggestions I wanted to toss out there. Hopefully this helps.
8 months ago
As Boza said, this deck seems unfocused. It looks like you are trying to build some sort of 5 color goodstuff, but you lack the interaction necessary to build a deck like that and not die to combo decks.
In general it seems like a lot of your cards are suboptimal. Cards like Psychic Strike, Arcane Denial, Complicate and Spell Shrivel are kinda inefficient, especially when you are not running better counterspells like Mental Misstep, Spell Snare, Spell Pierce and Mana Drain, as well as other pieces of early disruption like Hymn to Tourach, Thoughtseize or Inquisition of Kozilek.
In your deck you mention you made this into a 5-color deck to play Bloodbraid. But playing Bloodbraid when you have this many counterspells (which, remember, usually do nothing when cascaded into) seems loose. If you want to maintain this build, I'd probably play Cryptic Command and Mystic Confluence s my only counterspells (since Bloodbraid can't cascade into them) and instead base my interaction on removal and hand disruption.
1 year ago
Woops, didn't see that. If you want more permission, I'm not a huge fan of counter squall in commander, especially if your win con is through mill. Things like Dismiss, Draining Whelk, or Glen Elendra Archmage. I have also been loving Complicate, but that is more of a meta choice because of all the blue combo decks I play against.
1 year ago
Ok, so you're not into the wheel strategy. That helps narrow it down and we can focus on mill and your countermagic. It's maybe pushing it on the budget but think about picking up a Glen Elendra Archmage. She can't counter creature spells but will save some of the spells that can since you won't have to use them on non-creatures as often. She just gets better with ways to recur her.
It may depend on your playgroup, but I think combos would improve the deck by allowing it to finish off opponents quickly if needed. The Mindcrank combos are a good place to start. You have Muddle the Mixture which can be transmuted to grab that or Duskmantle. Throw in Diabolic Tutor and Dark Petition and you can grab the other piece. You could also run Phenax, God of Deception and Consuming Aberration. Together they can devour all your opponents' libraries in a few turns.
I can see the source of your mana problem; there is not enough acceleration in here. I strongly recommend looking at mana rocks. Do a Gatherer or MtGCardsInfo search for mana rocks that cost 3 mana or less. You want some of them to tap for your colors (or "any color", which is functionally the same in EDH), but a few like Worn Powerstone and especially Sol Ring that produce plenty of colorless are nice even though they don't help cast Lazav. Solemn Simulacrum is also worth considering if you have some ways to recur it. Pick out about ten of these artifacts and you're probably in better shape.
Now as for cuts, here's what I see:
- Omniscience is powerful, but very expensive to cast outside of a deck that's going to produce infinite mana or cheat it into play. It also doesn't win the game unless you're doing a combo deck that draws tons of cards.
- Complicate is rarely going to counter any spells in this format. Why not run Stoic Rebuttal?
- Jace Beleren has a relevant ult, but in EDH we want to judge walkers mainly on their first two abilities. His are kind of piddly.
- Archaeomancer is only good if you have ways to play her repeatedly.
- Fog Bank is easier to remove than something like Propaganda.
- Jorubai Murk Lurker is just a beater. EDH is not a format where those are good. Very fun to say the card's name, though!
- Vampire Nighthawk is also just a beater. Same with Wight of Precinct Six. If you want to go that route I have something else in mind I can suggest.
- Wizard Replica is just not useful.
- Doubling Cube is only good if you're making huge amounts of mana already and can spend it.
- Mistvein Borderpost can be replaced with a different rock.
- Welding Jar shouldn't be needed with all this countermagic to prevent removal.
- Temporal Mastery has a powerful effect, but how will you take advantage of it?
- Curse of the Bloody Tome has too small of an effect compared to something like Memory Erosion.
That's what I can see at the moment. Lazav can be tricky to build but is so much fun!