Creature — Harpy Beast
When Cavern Harpy enters the battlefield, return a blue or black creature you control to its owner's hand.
Pay 1 life: Return Cavern Harpy to its owner's hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Cavern Harpy Discussion
4 days ago
I do have to admit I am not a big fan of infinite combos for the sake of infinite combos. Before anyone points out I am a hypocrite, I like the way Mairsil operates, because whilst the infinite combos are almost inevitable, the deck has a lot of utility and interaction, i.e. it is not a deck you play solitaire with.
That being said, Sage of Hours also works with Phyrexian Devourer (not as an infinite, but one extra turn is pretty dank anyway). Anthroplasm is pretty good even without the Sage of Hours combo - it has quite a lot of potential with Pestilent Souleater.
Although I might add Nim Deathmantle (I didn't add it into the maybeboard T_T), I feel like adding Mindslaver is only really good when wrapped up into that one combo, and mediocre otherwise. Until I'm convinced that there is nothing better to add, I won't add it.
The reason why I want Lightning Greaves is less for the shroud (Mairsil, the Pretender is really hard to kill even without shroud) but more because it is a free source of haste, which is useful with Deadeye Navigator. E.g. Deadeye Navigator + Gilded Lotus on Mairsil + Lightning Greaves is another infinite mana combo.
As an aside... I think this deck looks a lot better on paper than it is in practice. It really, REALLY suffers from having a combination of no creatures on board and not intending to win on turn 4-5. Similarly, smart opponents can work around Mairsil's failsafes - as much as I like to think that Cavern Harpy makes him close to untouchable, since you can only activate the ability once, two opponents dropping removal on him is devastating. And let's face it: this deck has quite literally nothing without Mairsil. I ran a test game (using 95 cards... should add them), where Mairsil got Nevermore'd... Yeah.
1 week ago
Nice deck! Consider using Cavern Harpy for bouncing Mairsil without mana. You can also use it to bounce with it's ETB, truly a gem that not many have noticed.
Currently my list has no combos, I might use some of yours. Good job so far!
1 month ago
2 months ago
A deck that uses the effect of alluren best would aim at getting the infinite loop with Parasitic Strix and Cavern Harpy. It can be tutored up from nothing by casting Recruiter of the Guard, who gets Man-o'-War. Of course Aluren should be 4 times in a deck based on the card ;)
3 months ago
- Tragic Slip (good against gods)
- Deathreap Ritual (good pull towards Golgari, good splash for Rakdos and Selesnya)
- Malicious Affliction (good black targeted removal)
- Morbid Curiosity (good in Artifacts and Golgari)
- Mirrorweave (seems like it could get pretty zany, also works as a functional wrath if you target a legendary creature)
- Slate of Ancestry (seems like a better option than Harmonize and the like for colors without CA)
- Thundermaw Hellkite (just busted)
- Hellkite Charger (lets speed up the game a bit)
- Illusionist's Gambit (a hilarious gotcha card in blue)
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar (this card makes the aggro deck in the pod much more threatening)
- Cavern Harpy
- Boros Charm
- Boartusk Liege
- Goblin Chieftain
- Goblin King
- Goblin Lackey
- Goblin Matron
- Goblin Piledriver
- Goblin Recruiter
- Goblin Warchief
- Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
- Krenko, Mob Boss
- Skirk Fire Marshal
- Warren Instigator
Potential cuts (not removed, waiting your feedback):
- Sylvan Primordial (too much value I think)
- Sundering Titan (again, too much value)
- Nahiri, the Harbinger (she is good but doesnt support any archetypes)
- Merchant's Dockhand (very durdly. I actually hate this card, to be honest lol)
- Gruul Charm (doesnt do enough. There are better options to stop blocks)
- Merciless Eviction I think this is too good, actually. I dont want the build/reset dynamic unless you really pay a cost for it.
- Supreme Verdict (see: Merciless Eviction)
- Dovescape I think this will actually lead to too many board stalls. Not worth it.
- Reparations Doesnt do enough
- Darksteel Mutation (not necessary. We have enough good white removal)
- Limited Resources too mean.
- Tempt with Glory the tokens deck wants this, but I think it will only be better than a 6-mana put a +1/+1 on each creature you control when playing against gruul.
- Filigree Sages too little payoff for those stats
- Skill Borrower this card just sucks
- Shape Anew very bad. I love tinker, but nah.
- Black Sun's Zenith too good.
- Dread Return We said no reanimation
- Animate Dead
- Bonfire of the Damned too mean
- Starstorm too good I think. Rolling Thunder could be a good replacement?
- Tempt with Discovery I hope were playing with people smart enough not to fall for this trap
- Fang of the Pack (I think this card is not very good. I like that it has melee, but its not the best for a 6-drop)
Goblin Tribal just didnt seem viable unless you draft AND CAST Krenko. The deck leans too hard on one card and is too all-in for the multiplayer format. Sorry Goblins!
I left in the GU liege in case we want to do tap control in Simic, but I think we should move away from that archetype. I think I am more into ramp (Rashmi etc.) or cheating (Show and Tell effects). Maybe Simic is just good enough that we dont really need to plan too much for it. I dunno.
Still torn about Azorius. Do you think we have enough control in the format as-is? Can we do creature control with blinks? I want to move away from walls and wraths if possible, but I also want control (in whatever form we decide to do it) to be viable. Its important to me that there is room for control players to have plenty of fun drafting and playing, but its also important to keep the pace of the game. I think where we are now is a good mix of aggro/midrange slugfest plus control elements that cut them down and build CA over time.
3 months ago
Rite of Replication targeting your commander you will deal 30 damage to each opponent.
3 months ago
Thinking a bit about how to make UB artifacts flex a bit into R and G without forcing it. Esper is already there, I think. Came up with these additions:
Other good Artifacts that dont require you to build around:
Other potential cuts (not removed):
- Lieges. We could keep the UW one if we wanna do UW fliers, and we could keep the WR one to give tokens a bit more edge. Could also keep Creakwood Liege for sac fodder in GB
- Cavern Harpy We dont have a deck for it
- Boros Charm Its a bit too narrow
- Lexivore This is going to be a pain in the ass in complex board states.
General notes: we have way too many indestructible creatures. Lets tone it down a bit.
3 months ago
Cavern Harpy is nice for recurring your commander ability and abusing ETB effects.