|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Cartouche of Knowledge
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant creature you control
When Cartouche of Knowledge enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has flying.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Cartouche of Knowledge Discussion
1 day ago
In Standard, I think it could be a sort-of deck. UW Ascend was already a thing, with Slippery Scoundrel, aura-based card draw like Cartouche of Knowledge and Curious Obsession, and Aura-based removal like Seal Away. There's also powerful one-drops in Novice Knight, etc. So, I would be tempted to try UWg Auras, with green splashed for the Enchanter and Vine Mare.
An alternative could be Wgr for Valduk, Keeper of the Flame, I suppose. But that seems a little "cute", and less powerful.
3 weeks ago
I do play Curious Obsession in the arena and in the paper. Yes the pros are good, but the cons.... Man.... You don't want to your horse unable to block a Goblin Chainwhirler. I tried Cartouche of Knowledge as well but i want the 1 drop better. I'll give it a try. Maybe try combining different auras for 7 slots.
3 weeks ago
Thanks man. Just changed the Cartouche of Knowledge into Arcane Flight since its more likely to be countered, i want my opponent to spend more mana than the usual for a 1 drop. I do like the idea of turn 5, attach flight to a hexproof horse or hydra, which is unlikely if i have a 2 to cast aura instead. Also, post rotation, i'll surely use Jade Guardian to replace Bristling Hydra. Since hydra is the better card pre-rotation, I might as well stick to it. :)
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
Add more cards like Cartouche of Knowledge that way you can boost your merfolk and draw cards as a bonus. Additionally this would allow you to put in better merfolk than just your unblockable dudes. Gravelgill Duo is great though so maybe add some more Dimir spells to support it? Also maybe consider a top end merfolk that draws you cards for late game purposes.
2 months ago
I like the deck :). Cartouche of Knowledge is good for some card draw and to give a bit more to your unlockable guys.
2 months ago
Stazeeee I agree that red offers more cards than blue to support the Pummeler combo, but I played RG Pummeler for almost a year and a half before switching to UG. The RG version is primarily an aggro deck with the combo finish; it is very weak to any disruption or creature removal. If the combo with Pummeler is stopped by any instant-speed removal, the deck is dead. If I were to play a RG version right now, I have an New Life for the Pummeler based off of Danimrebel's list from MTGO several months ago: MTGO decklists, 2018-03-26.
The biggest problem with Pummeler in the current meta is the proliferation of Fanatical Firebrand, Goblin Chainwhirler, and Walking Ballista. The RG version is dead in the water against any of those threats as the deck is relying on the Pummeler combo for the win. The BG version still has Hydra and Cub with flying via the Cartouche of the Climb to go over their heads while also surviving the one-damage pingers.
I have found UG to play more like a midrange deck. It doesn't need to start doing damage immediately like the RG version does. I've had just as many wins due to the Hydra or Cub as I have with the Pummeler. Cartouche of Knowledge provides much needed card draw, which RG is completely lacking. And Hadana's Climb Flip works great with the Hydras, Cubs, and now the Kavu if Pummeler gets removed.
I think Pummeler would be a very interesting add to a God-Pharaoh's Gift mono-red or RG deck. But you would have to build the deck with a few more energy sources than it is currently playing.
2 months ago
first off, really cool deck. Something about running a deck with eight more of the same rodent than lands seems like everything that's awesome about magic to me. As far as the deck is concerned:
- 4 Opt with only 4 sources? Risking a card being uncastable just so you can replace it for something else seems kinda bad.
- Something I've found useful when playing this archetype is to play a lot of support cards with odd CMC for the sake of efficiency. Ruin Raider, Dreamstealer, Duress(essential against cards like Lost Legacy or Ixalan's Binding) or just tapped dual-lands are all a good use of every second turn.
- I'm not that sure whether secret salvage is that great here. You're around 37% to have 5 lands on turn five (assuming you can cast Opt and Cartouche of Knowledge) and around 57% on turn 7 not to mention Scavenger Grounds or The Scarab God fizzling it. Dreamstealer or Ruin Raider might possibly be better value engines although admittedly less flavorful.
- In the sideboard for against decks that both go wide and can remove Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive you might want Make Obsolete as both killing 1 toughness creatures and making 1 power creatures unable to trade with a rat is super relevant (you probably won't have the ascend for Golden Demise most games so I disagree with people saying you should run it).
- Finally I'd suggest being aware of instant speed removal on Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive during combat if your opponent has expendable creatures untapped. A legitimate strategy might also be to hold the umezawa until you can untap with lethal while your opponent is tapped down/you know they have no interaction. Also not attacking with Umezawa to avoid Seal Away/Gideon's Reproach/'pump spells' could be right in certain scenarios.