|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Cartouche of Knowledge
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant creature you control
When Cartouche of Knowledge enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has flying.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Cartouche of Knowledge Discussion
2 weeks ago
I like the deck :). Cartouche of Knowledge is good for some card draw and to give a bit more to your unlockable guys.
3 weeks ago
Stazeeee I agree that red offers more cards than blue to support the Pummeler combo, but I played RG Pummeler for almost a year and a half before switching to UG. The RG version is primarily an aggro deck with the combo finish; it is very weak to any disruption or creature removal. If the combo with Pummeler is stopped by any instant-speed removal, the deck is dead. If I were to play a RG version right now, I have an New Life for the Pummeler based off of Danimrebel's list from MTGO several months ago: MTGO decklists, 2018-03-26.
The biggest problem with Pummeler in the current meta is the proliferation of Fanatical Firebrand, Goblin Chainwhirler, and Walking Ballista. The RG version is dead in the water against any of those threats as the deck is relying on the Pummeler combo for the win. The BG version still has Hydra and Cub with flying via the Cartouche of the Climb to go over their heads while also surviving the one-damage pingers.
I have found UG to play more like a midrange deck. It doesn't need to start doing damage immediately like the RG version does. I've had just as many wins due to the Hydra or Cub as I have with the Pummeler. Cartouche of Knowledge provides much needed card draw, which RG is completely lacking. And Hadana's Climb Flip works great with the Hydras, Cubs, and now the Kavu if Pummeler gets removed.
I think Pummeler would be a very interesting add to a God-Pharaoh's Gift mono-red or RG deck. But you would have to build the deck with a few more energy sources than it is currently playing.
4 weeks ago
first off, really cool deck. Something about running a deck with eight more of the same rodent than lands seems like everything that's awesome about magic to me. As far as the deck is concerned:
- 4 Opt with only 4 sources? Risking a card being uncastable just so you can replace it for something else seems kinda bad.
- Something I've found useful when playing this archetype is to play a lot of support cards with odd CMC for the sake of efficiency. Ruin Raider, Dreamstealer, Duress(essential against cards like Lost Legacy or Ixalan's Binding) or just tapped dual-lands are all a good use of every second turn.
- I'm not that sure whether secret salvage is that great here. You're around 37% to have 5 lands on turn five (assuming you can cast Opt and Cartouche of Knowledge) and around 57% on turn 7 not to mention Scavenger Grounds or The Scarab God fizzling it. Dreamstealer or Ruin Raider might possibly be better value engines although admittedly less flavorful.
- In the sideboard for against decks that both go wide and can remove Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive you might want Make Obsolete as both killing 1 toughness creatures and making 1 power creatures unable to trade with a rat is super relevant (you probably won't have the ascend for Golden Demise most games so I disagree with people saying you should run it).
- Finally I'd suggest being aware of instant speed removal on Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive during combat if your opponent has expendable creatures untapped. A legitimate strategy might also be to hold the umezawa until you can untap with lethal while your opponent is tapped down/you know they have no interaction. Also not attacking with Umezawa to avoid Seal Away/Gideon's Reproach/'pump spells' could be right in certain scenarios.
1 month ago
I like the idea of Tetsuko. Unfortunately she's a non-bo with all the pump spells other than Blossoming Defense and Rhonas's ability (Larger Than Life, Cartouche of Knowledge, Hadana's Climb Flip). I think it would be possible to re-build around her, using Highspire Infusion as a possible replacement for Larger that can be played after blockers are declared. Or go UR to have Invigorated Rampage to use after blockers.
1 month ago
1 month ago
No idea if it'll work irl, but LOVE the concept!
Some cards that may be useful here ...
- Cartouche of Knowledge, for evasion and a little draw.
- Cartouche of Ambition in the side, when you need the extra life.
- Secret Salvage, to refill your hand.
- Opt, for draw and filtering.
- Key to the City, if you need extra Tetsukos.
1 month ago
Dub is non-negotiable (it's the entire point of the deck, actually), but you may be right about Cartouche of Solidarity. So far, it seems like the value of the 1/1 Warrior token is worth it, but I definitely need more testing. As an aside, Sram, Senior Edificer benefits from the First Strike effect.
Do you mean Serra's Blessing and Curiosity? They're fine, but haven't been legal in Standard for years. Arcane Flight is a fine card too, but I prefer the 3x Cartouche of Knowledge that are already in the deck. I looked at Short Sword early on, in an equipment-heavy build that enabled Toolcraft Exemplar. But it was just too low impact, too often. Do you mean Blackblade Reforged? If so, I feel the deck would need more lands and many more Legendaries to be worth it (here's a great article with more on that, if you're interested). And finally, Spell Pierce is great, and I use it in Modern often. In Standard though (where folks generally have much more mana available by the end of a game), I tend to prefer hard counters (like Essence Scatter or Negate). That's just a playstyle thing though, so thanks for the input.
Finally, for future reference, you can link cards like this:
2 months ago
Anointer Priest is really good in token decks. Once it comes out, History of Benalia seems good for tokens. If it is in your budget, Legion's Landing Flip would also be good. Also, all creatures with ebalm (like Sacred Cat or eternalize would get some tokens. Cartouche of Solidarity, Cartouche of Knowledge, and Trial of Solidarity work well together, and the cartouches could work well with Temmet to create a big, unblockable token. On the unblockable theme, Curious Obsession could get more damage and cards.